Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-11, 10:42 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Sara,

You've gotten some great advise so far.

I would only add that, since the "Step by Step" dvd moves a little slower, why not try to trade for that. You could get comfortable with the moves without investing much into Zumba. Or, even the 20 minute basics from the Transformation set, might be a good choice since you can probably find it a little easier/cheaper.

I always compliment Zumba with stretching and that definitely helps, but there is so much external rotation with feet and hips with all the twisting, turning and pivots, my hips ache a bit, too! There is constant hip movement, but like others have said, slow it down and you don't have to do all that the instructors are doing to have fun! Go at your own pace, and if you have to skip some stuff, do so!

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 07:45 PM  
Nancy511

I hurt my knee doing ZUMBA back in January during a live class and I'm still dealing with it! Hyperextension injury which lead to a possible tear in my gastroc from the muscles/tendons/ligaments overcompensating for the injury. Go get DanceSneakers....you can't do ZUMBA in regular workout shoes-it's not safe, the tread grabs the floor and there is too much pivoting in ZUMBA for "sticky" shoes!

ZUMBA is a lot of fun...but you need proper shoes.
Nancy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 09:08 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I was talking to a physical therapist yesterday about what fitness injuries she treats the most, other than the usual running, weights, accidents, etc. She said kettlebells and Zumba. (I was surprised that she had even heard about kettlebells).

Zumba is too twisty for me.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 10:45 AM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I was talking to a physical therapist yesterday about what fitness injuries she treats the most, other than the usual running, weights, accidents, etc. She said kettlebells and Zumba. (I was surprised that she had even heard about kettlebells).

Zumba is too twisty for me.
Hmm, the last two times I've been to the doctor - Kettlebells (was doing a renegade row and got distracted - the bell tipped and landed on my finger with my full body weight behind it) and Zumba (torn meniscus). I can certainly see that. I can absolutely see Zumba - especially as many gyms are offering advanced classes and encouraging beginners to join.
Old 04-22-11, 10:53 AM  
mle777

I would definitely agree with getting a good pair of shoes. In February, I did a lot of TA Dance and then in March I did a lot of Zumba (both without shoes - I workout on carpet and I was worried about the twisting on my knees). In early April, I developed what I think was a minor stress fracture in my foot (didn't go to the doctor because I'm stubborn). I've had to back off of doing all higher impact workouts. I'm feeling almost back to normal again, but it's going to be awhile before I can add back in high impact workouts.

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 01:46 PM  
sherry7899

A friend of mine just e-mailed me and said she hurt her knee in Zumba class. She just started a few weeks ago. She is seeing a doctor today. I hope she doesn't have a major injury. I think she probably was wearing regular sneakers and not dance sneakers.

Sherry
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 04:36 PM  
anne

I didn't hurt my knees or hips with Zumba but did injure my right shoulder. In Zumba class at the gym we used light hand weights for two or three songs and I guess I moved my arms too energetically or something and my shoulder was painful for quite a while (even hurt when I was doing regular curls). It's still a little stiff (but I've been doing some yoga poses that put stress on the shoulder).
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 06:11 PM  
oltlfan

I hurt my knee doing Turbo Jam, so I am very hesitant about doing Zumba. I won't do it unless I get the correct shoes with a slippery bottom. I think I might end up not doing it though.
oltlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 09:54 AM  
AerikaJ

I'm glad I read this. I am enjoying doing Zumba, but have a knee that gets a bit wonky anyway and was having problems with turns. I was wearing my regular workout shoes and I see now that I need something else for Zumba.
AerikaJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injuries, zumba, zumba injuries