Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-31-20, 12:06 PM  
Vantreesta

Endurance Check in for Summer 2020 ~Run Bike Swim Hike

New month, new goals, newcomers welcome!

INTRO: This check-in celebrates the art of staying in motion. Some of us are training for marathons, some for 5Ks and others for triathlons. Some of us are just training for life or trying to keep up with life.

We talk a lot about running, but we are also cyclists, occasional swimmers, hikers, past and future triathletes and any other long distance sport you can think of. We struggle with fitting in all the workouts, what we "should" be doing to overcoming injuries and life's challenges. We learn from one another and trade training tips, links to cute workout clothes and, of course, recommendations for good workouts.

Since our numbers have shrunk, this thread will be for June, July and August.

June questions:
1. Do you have any races planned for this summer (assuming we get to have races this year)?
2. Have you found you have more or less time to workout due to COVID?
3. What have you done to maintain your sanity during shelter-in-place orders and social distancing?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 12:14 PM  
Vantreesta

Planned on walking 4 mi this morning but the wind was just awful so we just did 2 mi. I was supposed to run after that but decided to hold off till tonight instead of forcing through the wind. I started doing PT and the very first thing (bridge with alternating diagonal overhead reach) set off the dizziness right away. It subsided mostly so I finished, skipping the moves that would make me dizzy or need balance. Then I did day 18 of Kassandra's morning yoga and was mostly fine. Even inversions were okay. It seems to be worst when I'm lying down and moving my head just right (or wrong, I guess). Then I did one of my untried ones, Barlates Interval Barre Fusion, the iso mat segment plus stretch. This was my first try at Barlates and I decided I was pretty sure she doesn't want me to be able to walk again. Holy crap!! The dizziness left me feeling wiped out so hopefully I can do everything else tonight. I needed to be done anyway so I could shower and eat before meeting a friend. When I get home from that I plan to make white sheet cake for hubby's birthday.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 06-01-20, 12:17 PM  
Vantreesta

June questions:
1. Do you have any races planned for this summer (assuming we get to have races this year)?
Hopefully a 5 mi trail race in Aug. And on my one check in we're doing a virtual 5k on Aug 1.
2. Have you found you have more or less time to workout due to COVID? No difference for me since I don't have kids or a job.
3. What have you done to maintain your sanity during shelter-in-place orders and social distancing? I'm still meditating. I guess that and time with Cyric have been my two most consistent things with the whirlwind my life has been so far this year.

Old 06-01-20, 06:08 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

June questions:
1. Do you have any races planned for this summer (assuming we get to have races this year)? Not at the moment, but I'd like to in the fall if races exist again.
2. Have you found you have more or less time to workout due to COVID? Way more!
3. What have you done to maintain your sanity during shelter-in-place orders and social distancing? I'm still surprisingly busy. The only down times are after dinner and parts of the weekends. I'm enjoying it while I can since life usually is so hectic. I am re-doing our rec room, spending time cooking, and hanging out with my family, which we usually don't do. I'm also exploring different (calmer) music.

Last week I kept up with running, yoga, and backyard bootcamp. I have grown to love Eoin Finn's Earth Body Yoga. I do it and PY4H Quickie a lot.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 09:49 AM  
Vantreesta

Last night I did get my run in at 8 PM when it was still 89 degrees! It was not a very enjoyable run. I like to think it improved my fortitude... Took Cyric for his last walk after that. Both of our PM walks were short though. It was 90 for the one before supper. Supposed to be hot all week. Yuck. Before bed I did Classical Stretch S11E8. I can't help it, I feel ridiculous doing some of the episodes. Last night's didn't do anything for me. And it was a back pain one so I didn't get my running muscles stretched like I should have. I woke up at 3:20 this morning (after tossing and turning the whole time I'd been in bed) with a monster headache. I took smthg for it and moved to the loveseat where I could recline without being fully flat, put an ice pack on my head and finally got some good sleep. The pain was gone when I got up but our morning walk woke it up a little. 80 degrees for this walk with a breeze and he still wouldn't walk a mile. I slept in bc of the rough night but I'm gonna have to get up earlier so we can walk and run before it gets too hot.

Good to see you, Alison! Sounds like you're hanging in there and putting the extra free time to good use. I love the idea of your backyard bootcamp. Thanks for mentioning Eoin's Earth Body Yoga. I haven't tried it yet. I was reading back through my workout logs over the wknd and over and over again I kept reading love Eoin's practices, my hips feel so much better, I feel so much calmer and for practices by other people I often wrote this is okay for a change but it is so not Eoin, Travis or Rodney!

Pratima, how are you holding up? Any news on the job front? I was surprised to hear AZ has a statewide curfew this week. The Twin Cities seem to be deciding each day if the curfew will extend and they change it to 10 PM instead of 8.

Old 06-02-20, 09:54 AM  
Daphne M

Hi Vannie and Alison!
I'm so glad to see you both here and thriving!

I've been gone too long to cover everything that's happened over the last 3 years. The short version is that I've gradually adapted to various injury-caused limitations, have adjusted my expectations accordingly and I'm appreciative of and loving my new, moderate fitness routine. I also have a demanding day job that is fulfilling and wonderful, but emotionally and mentally exhausting, so that creates a constant balancing act.

1. Races planned for summer?
I am looking around at some virtual race ideas and opportunities. My last race was a New Years Eve 4-miler with friends that was purely social and fun.
(We jogged 2 minutes, walked 1 minute and talked and laughed for all the minutes.)
2. More time or less time?
Way more time, just like Alison. I've been working from home since early March and not having a commute has been awesome. Now I have time to sit around drinking coffee and reading (with my Nema) before doing my morning run or other workout. And my more flexible schedule means I often have time for a 5 pm break for a long walk in my neighborhood with my neighbor Mary.
3. Maintaining sanity during quarantine?
A few stressed-out days but usually nothing awful as long as I selected and limited my news intake about COVID-19 carefully and stayed away from my one neighbor who wants herd immunity for all. I've been able to work from home productively and I've been able to spend a lot of quality time with my family, even though some of it has been by Zoom and FaceTime. This week's news following George Floyd's murder has been heartbreaking and harder than all the quarantine news. Oof. Things have got to change.

Workouts - I'm the most consistent I've been in about 3 years, thanks to no commute.

I'm exercising 6 out of 7 days. It's a mix of outdoor runs (3-4 miles), walking, indoor treadmill runs, cycling, bootcamp workouts and some very simple Cathe strength workouts -- usually rotating upper body, lower body and core.

I downloaded the Peloton app back in January and for a mere $13 a month am loving the awesome treadmill, cycling, boot camp and yoga workouts. The music is fantastic, the instructors are great and I can't get over what a great value it is and how well it works. I'm not impressed with their strength workouts or their floor cardio, but everything else is 10 out of a 10.

I dream about buying an indoor rower to join my treadmill and bike trainer in the basement but I am afraid I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost, so right now it's just a dream.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 10:25 AM  
Vantreesta

Daphne, I'm so happy to see you!! I've missed all you guys. I know life just gets in the way sometimes. It's been a rollercoaster here. I don't remember when you were last posting but we lost D'Argo in Dec 2017 and Chianna in Oct 2019. This year we lost my mother-in-law in March and my mom in April. Adding covid and the civil unrest in the wake of the murder has been a lot. I was actually in Minneapolis not far from the 3rd precinct the day before it was burned down. I met a friend to go for a walk and didn't know anything had happened since I don't watch the news. Now I've been watching it too much and really need to stop.

I'm glad you've had extra time without the commute. I'm really curious to see if employers will be more willing to allow people to work remotely.

Oops, gotta run. Don't want to be late for my dentist appt! Be back later.

Old 06-02-20, 03:04 PM  
Daphne M

Vannie - Thanks for the updates. I am so sorry for all your losses. I hope you and your husband and your friends and Cyric have been a comfort for one another. Losing loved ones right on top of each other followed by a pandemic and social unrest -- that is breathtakingly awful. Do you know what is causing your dizziness? Is it vertigo?

I have staged a couple of returns to VF but they never lasted more than a day or two due to how all-consuming my job has been over the last 3 years. (Big passion project that I think I can hand-off next year.) And, let's face it, I was usually doing only sporadic baby-step workouts and would have bored you all to tears.

The "experts" are predicting a huge growth in working from home now that we've all done it successfully for months and it's been productive and saved a lot on expenses. Here in DC, most employers seem to be planning to only bring back a few workers at a time and rotate them, since we have major unresolved issues with mass transit and child care.

My office in DC is on Farragut Square and a block from Lafayette Square and there are ongoing protests around the building including fires, graffiti and property damage to my building and adjacent buildings. It's surreal to see it on the news and social media especially when I see scuffles between police and protesters. 2020, what a year.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 06-03-20, 03:07 PM  
Vantreesta

I just got back from chiro. My C1 is really out of whack. He didn't manually adjust my neck today, just used the activator thingie that punches you. Anyway I told him I've narrowed it down to laying down and moving while laying down are the biggest triggers so he gave me exercises to do for that type of vertigo, twice a day. I go back Fri and will see from there what he wants to do. This morning I tried a PT exercise that was fine on Mon but definitely was not today. Pilates also triggered it but yoga has been fine so I think I'll put my Pilates goal on hold for now.

This morning I did PT, avoiding the vertigo-triggering exercises. After our 2 mi walk (at 70 degrees and Cyric still had to be coaxed to do the whole thing) I ran 1.66 mi to celebrate National Running Day, day 5 of the 14 day beginner's Crossrope challenge, 10MS Pilates for Beginners core basics and TurboFire Stretch 10.

Old 06-04-20, 04:19 PM  
Daphne M

I hope the chiro exercises help with the vertigo, Franny. The "tapping" thingamajig usually helps my L1-L5 aches and alignement a lot although it's a mystery to me how or why.

We've got heat and humidity too, but even though I am a whole lot shaggier than usual thanks to quarantine life, I don't have Cyric's full fur coat (YET) to slow me down. I ran this morning and was about 15 seconds per mile slower than usual, but otherwise felt pretty good. And rediscovered the forgotten skill of windshield-wipering the sweat off my face.

Workouts:
  • Yesterday - Active recovery day. 20-minute easy run/walk Peloton treadmill workout + a 10-minute core workout on the Bosu. Peloton instructor was Adrian, a new guy who I like so far. Some of the Bosu core workout moves are pretty challenging for me and I'm still on workout 1 of 3 core workouts. I am a little afraid of the next two. Eek.
  • Today - Ran 4 slow miles outside + the lower body pyramid 'up' premix from Cathe LITE Pyramid Pump DVD.

Hey - I remembered how to do bullets and bold. Another small victory I will celebrate. Onward and upward.
Breast Cancer Survivor