Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-20, 01:36 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: Wow, snow! I saw that a few places around the country got some. My friend in Boulder, CO, got 5-6 inches too. It was pretty nice here yesterday, so I ran outside.

Today started week 3 of a 4-week Blissology rotation. I hadn't done any yoga in so long, and my body is acting like it. I have to modify the simplest of poses, but for the first time, I really feel the yoga vibe. I do it early in the morning before anyone else is up, and it's helping me get through at least the first part of my day.

I decided today to attempt the 60-day Hammer & Chisel rotation from BeachBody because I figured I needed to mix it up a bit after all the muscle endurance training in Body Pump. The in-your-face instruction drove me crazy during the first one this morning, so I hope I can keep at it. I yelled "shut up" at the TV more than once. Maybe I should do yoga AFTER H&C!

Hope you all are well.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-20, 03:47 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

April questions:
1. Do you do anything for Easter?
We're not Christian so don't really celebrate it, but my DD was born on Easter 2009, so it's special to her even though of course the date is different every year. This year it was her birthday again, so I bought a bunch of plastic eggs, candy, and a few little toys and hid them. They were thrilled!
2. How is your life different because of COVID? I've always worked from home and DH is still working his normal schedule, so that's not different. I feel like things are different with my coworkers somehow. Maybe they're not used to being home so want to zoom or instant message more? I am also driving a LOT less since I don't have to take the kids anywhere.
3. How are your workouts different because of social distancing? I'm pretty much an introvert. I'd say I like seeing people but don't necessarily have to chat, so I miss my running friends and going to bootcamp or the gym! I am of course doing various video workouts and have set my own weekly schedule.

Vantreesta, I'm jealous of your snow! We saw it when we went north last month but only the last day so we didn't get to play. Is it strange having DH home?

Alison, I've been seeing your FB posts about all the things you'd planned and wondering how that stacks up against not having to commute. The bummer thing is all the canceled plans help break up the monotony of working all week. I DREAD Mondays like I can't tell you!

The CEO of Burn Bootcamp is live streaming workouts on Youtube M-S. They send out a link the night before to all members. I've been doing those, or sometimes the recorded workout from my local Burn. The local ones are at 7:30 which is too late, and the CEO does his at 6 AM.

Like I said, i dread work. I feel super productive but as though I need to do even more. There's been a ton of shifting of staff, new people hired, promotions, etc. None of it has to do with me. In fact, a person to supervise me will shortly be hired and I'm extra grumpy about that because at least on paper, I'm super qualified.

And my boss has been in the position just over a year now yet my small group hasn't really done anything. I can't really even figure out why.

I had Friday off work and went hiking, which was great. The first mile was annoying because there are a ton of newbies out there. The first group was blaring music (no headphones) and then there were mountain bikers who didn't seem to know how to use their gears or anything. After they all passed by, it got much better.

Ranting aside, can you imagine being a kid now? School canceled for the rest of the year would be a dream come true!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 09:33 AM  
Vantreesta

Hi, everyone. The sad news continues in my life. We lost my mom on Tuesday. I miss her so much. But I know she isn't suffering anymore and that's good. The ALS robbed her of so much. But I can't imagine life without her. We were always so close.

Not sure how much I'll be checking in for a while but I'll be reading posts.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 11:21 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. ALS is such a terrible disease. I'm sending you lots of virtual love and hugs.
Old 04-19-20, 11:25 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Today finishes week 4 of running at least 3 times a week, week 3 of Blissology, and week 1 of Hammer & Chisel. No biking this week, which isn't good, but oh well. I don't know if either of my fall bike adventures will happen at this point, but I should keep riding like they will.

Pratima, I feel you on the hating Mondays. While I'm still so thankful for working at home, it's so hard to get back into it Monday after doing so little all weekend.

While it is nice getting those hours I normally spend commuting back, I think the absence of kid activities is really the difference maker. Before this job, I worked part time and my commute was 10 minutes each way, and I still didn't exercise or cook this much. It's going to be so hard to go back whenever I do, but I'm thankful I have a job to go back to.
Old 04-19-20, 02:30 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH View Post
Vantreesta, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. ALS is such a terrible disease. I'm sending you lots of virtual love and hugs.
Thank you, Alison. It really is an awful disease. I would not wish it on anyone.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 04-27-20, 06:38 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Today finishes week 45 of running at least 3 times a week, week 4 of Blissology, and week 2 of Hammer & Chisel.

Now that I'm done with Blissology, I need to keep going with the yoga. I really like Eoin Finn, so I'll pull out some of his other practices, plus he's doing all kinds of "Stay OM" yoga releases.

My fall bike trip was cancelled this week. So bummed but not surprised.
Old 04-27-20, 11:07 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, oddly enough I miss driving to the kid activities! I also miss that they wore my kids out. We hit 100 degrees this weekend and it's a struggle to keep moving. At least with their activities, they get some movement.

Vantreesta, I hope you're hanging in there. I'm going to text you today and check in.

I feel like I've come full circle in a way. I started out with an "I can do this!" attitude and was trying to keep the kids on task, keep us all active, etc. The past couple of weeks we all sunk into pits of too much dessert, too little activity, and too much screen time. Now we're back at it. Maybe because I took the weekend off, so to speak.

I had to do the helpdesk last weekend and it was crazy busy, so I basically worked 12 days in a row. This weekend, I told myself I wouldn't do ANY work. I kept my work computer off and didn't clean anything (though I kept thinking I should!) and it helped.

Work is still super annoying and doing it through the weekend definitely doesn't help. There's this contract woman working with me, Friday was supposed to be her last day. Now she's staying three more weeks and a woman who appears to have about 1/3 the experience I do (6 years compared to my 19) is starting as my manager on May 11. So I'm super annoyed.

Trying to control what I can--I'm putting more efforts into my workouts, giving the kids more specific school schedules, and also going to start cooking healthier. I just have to make sure all that doesn't wear me out!

Workouts--I'm streaming Burn Bootcamp workouts. I've mostly done the ones from the CEO since they're at 6 AM my time and the local ones are at 7:30. Now that there are about a month's worth, I can pick and choose and structure my week the way I want.

I tried to hike Saturday. The park is open 6 AM to 6 PM and can only have 150 cars in it at a time. I got three just before 7 AM and there was a long line, so I came home and ran 5 miles instead. This weekend I'm going to go early and cross my fingers that I can get in. I really hope they start opening at 5 AM!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 06:41 PM  
Vantreesta

Good to see you guys posting. I haven't been working out, didn't even bring anything with me. We can only walk first thing in the morning so not even getting that for exercise. It's ridiculous how hot it is here. I have no idea how you stand it, Pratima!

We're doing okay. Trying to spend time each day going through things. It's good we have each other and don't have to do this alone. Plus Cyric helps both my dad and me.

Old 05-03-20, 04:42 PM  
Vantreesta

I don't remember if I said that I'm crocheting Christmas trees for my mom's memorial service so anyone who wants one can take one. One of my aunts is helping me make a bunch. And I thought it would be nice to paint some rocks with her name and the year on them along with things people associate with her and them plant them around town for the painted rock hunters to find. Hopefully some of her students and friends look for rocks and will find them.

Sooo....yesterday I painted more rocks with my grandma and aunts, and Grandma refreshed my memory on how to embroider. My mom taught me ages ago when I was a kid but I didn't remember anything. As soon as Grandma showed me it all came back. Mom had blocks that had snowmen and the days of the week printed on them so I thought I would try my hand at finishing them. Once I have them embroidered my grandma and aunt said they'll make them into a runner for me. I don't sew at all!