Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-20, 04:27 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Endurance Check in April 2020 ~Run Bike Swim Hike

New month, new goals, newcomers welcome!

INTRO: This check-in celebrates the art of staying in motion. Some of us are training for marathons, some for 5Ks and others for triathlons. Some of us are just training for life or trying to keep up with life.

We talk a lot about running, but we are also cyclists, occasional swimmers, hikers, past and future triathletes and any other long distance sport you can think of. We struggle with fitting in all the workouts, what we "should" be doing to overcoming injuries and life's challenges. We learn from one another and trade training tips, links to cute workout clothes and, of course, recommendations for good workouts.

April questions:
1. Do you do anything for Easter?
2. How is your life different because of COVID?
3. How are your workouts different because of social distancing?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 10:40 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for starting the thread, Pratima. I was just going to keep taking to myself for a quarter.

Our morning walk was only 2.43 mi today then I ran1.57 mi and did days 6 and 7 of Kassandra's yoga challenge. I can't seem to get more done than that. Other than our other two shorter walks every day. Cleaned the kitchen and some windows, did a load of laundry and dusted the living room.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 11:11 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, I'm glad to "see" you here! Is your DH still working? I don't think you told me what kind of work he does.

DH and I are both still working, so he's still gone S-T nights. I actually just talked to a friend who told me the kids would be fine if I went for a run, was gone for an hour in the morning, so I may try tomorrow. I've been working out to Burn Bootcamp live workouts and Peloton workouts with my bike on the trainer. I do run twice a week. The trails here are restricted--open only from 6 AM to 6 PM with 150 cars there at a time--but I have Friday off and may try to get to the one near me.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 01:07 PM  
Vantreesta

Grr. I got the 505 error and lost my post. I'll paste my check in and try later to reply.

First thing this morning was PT exercises and then day 8 of Kassandra's Morning Yoga Movement challenge. This worked well. After a 3.91 mi walk with my boy I ran 1.67 mi and did S11E7 of Classical Stretch. I am loving the short daily runs after our longer walks. It got up to 70 yesterday but I think only 53 for the high today and I think they said the high Monday should be 38!

We are seeing a lot of people out walking and more dogs. Cyric started on Prozac a week and a half ago and it does seem to be helping some so he doesn't zoom past threshold right away when he sees the other dogs so I am better able to work on training him to be less reactive. We still have a ways to go but I celebrate every little victory we have!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 04-09-20, 11:53 AM  
Vantreesta

Back with my check in. I made it an easier day and just did day 1 of the Crossrope 14 day beginner's challenge (repeat since I tried to start the challenge in Feb) and day 9 of Kassandra's Morning Yoga Movement challenge. I'm hoping to do PT and a CS episode later. We'll see. "Later" seems to be elusive these days.

Pratima, hubby is working from home. He is in IT. I don't remember what else I typed and lost yesterday!

Old 04-10-20, 01:21 PM  
Vantreesta

Check in: PT exercises and day 10 of Kassandra's Morning Yoga Movement before breakfast, then Cyric and I walked 2.48 mi then we ran 1.62 mi. He did really good. He hadn't run since before Valentine's Day, I think. Then I did day 2 of the Crossrope 14 Day Beginner's Challenge and TurboFire Stretch 10. Done with lunch, time to clean bathrooms. Yippee!

Old 04-10-20, 01:26 PM  
Vantreesta

April questions:
1. Do you do anything for Easter? Usually just church and a special meal: ham, au gratin potatoes, deviled eggs and parkerhouse rolls. Not sure if we're having it this year. Depends if hubby finds ham at the store tmrw.

2. How is your life different because of COVID? It's not much different other than hubby being home working all day. I miss my friends and chiropractor but I only see friends once or twice a month anyway and chiropractor every 8 weeks so not a lot of change!

3. How are your workouts different because of social distancing? No change for me since I always workout alone anyway.

Old 04-10-20, 05:47 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Hi Vantreesta and Pratima:

So I totally fell off the check-in wagon, but now my workouts are better than they've been in forever! That's what working at home and getting 2.5 hours I'm normally commuting back in my day will do!

I've been running 3-4 times a week, lifting 3 times, and cycling 1-2 times. I do BodyPump for the lifting, but I think I'm going to switch it up starting next week. Most cycling has been on my ancient spin bike, but I did get outside once this week. Running is still slow, but I feel good while doing it.

April questions:
1. Do you do anything for Easter?
Well we were supposed to be in New Orleans going to the Easter Parades and brunches. So I'm splurging here and ordering an Easter dinner from a good local restaurant. We'll FaceTime my parents and brother so we at least sort of are together.

2. How is your life different because of COVID? VERY. I've been working full-time at home for 4 weeks now. At least 2 more guaranteed, but probably more. I actually really like it, even with the whole family stuffed in our little house. They are letting us work whenever we want as long as we get 80 hrs every 2 weeks, so I take a mid-morning break to run or bike. Jessy is doing college from home, and Megan starts high school from home next week. She's been completely off school since March 13.

3. How are your workouts different because of social distancing? Better, actually. I'm meeting a friend and running at least 6 feet away from her 3 times a week. I'm usually working and she's usually going all her fitness activities (silks, parkour, figure skating, skiing, trapeze, and much more), but now we have time to run together. I stress that we are very very very careful to stay far apart. She's very scientific, so she does everything but cary a 6-foot stick to make sure we don't get too close.

I need to go read the March check-in. I'll work on checking in more often, now that I have workouts to report again.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-20, 09:28 PM  
Vantreesta

We're under a winter storm warning from 7 AM tmrw to 7 AM Monday. They're predicting 6-10" of snow and wind gusts of 40 mph. So there will be no outdoor run tmrw!

I wasted a beautiful day outside. We watched Harry Potter movies all day (except during my 2 hour nap) and that's the plan for after church tmrw too. I had actually planned to workout today while hubby picked up items we needed but I got super dizzy again last night and it lasted till after my nap, although today was much better than last night.

Alison, so happy to hear from you! I've been missing the gang. Sounds like your schedule is working great for you! I'm glad your workouts are better now. Makes so much difference to the mood and mindset!

Old 04-13-20, 12:52 PM  
Vantreesta

I hope everyone had a blessed Easter! One to remember, for sure!

Day 3 of the Crossrope challenge was dumb, imo. It was 30 sec freestyle jump then one min hold of one yoga pose or stretch (cycle through downward dog, cobra, child's pose, hamstrings stretch, quad stretch) then 30 sec rest. Hardly jumped at all, very disappointing.

Just a normal walk this morning bc it's very icy out. We got probably 3-4" of snow yesterday. It started around 7 AM and didn't stop at all till I think late or maybe after supper. I started the day with days 11 and 12 of Kassandra's Morning Yoga Movement challenge bc I didn't do them this wknd. After our walk I walked on the treadmill, 15 min of hills and 10 min retro. Then I did a couple I hadn't done before 10 Minute Trainer Total Body and then Abs, which were both pretty good. The superman crunches made me dizzy so I stuck with superman and skipped the crunch part. Then was day 3 of the Crossrope beginner's challenge and TurboFire Stretch 10 again, which is still one of my favorite stretches and feels really good after jumping rope.