Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-20, 03:07 PM  
bubbles76

Micheline Berry - thoughts?

Any recent thoughts on Micheline Berry's Liquid Flow Asana Live set with Udaya? I love the music, and am getting interested in doing some "slow flow" yoga. Also, any opinions on her other dvds:

https://www.amazon.com/Micheline-Ber.../dp/B0017PB5V0
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...berry/15579865
https://www.amazon.com/Micheline-Ber...4446267&sr=8-4

For reference I like Eoin Finn, Zyrka Landwidjt, and Seane Corn.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 03:11 PM  
sherry7899

I have her Udaya set but barely used it because of the length of the practices. If I try any again I will post.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 06:07 PM  
bubbles76

Yes they are looong practices! Only for the weekend probably. Unless I do an all yoga rotation.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 03-15-20, 08:07 PM  
Mickey12

I also have the Udaya set but I don’t reach for it. I tend to like male instructors for yoga but I can’t put my finger on why. Also, she tends to be more “spiritual” than I like. I didn’t dislike any of the practices, I just like Travis and Vytas better. Having said that, I am glad I have the set. I know I haven’t really helped you.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 08:47 PM  
bubbles76

Kim haha! I typically like male instructors for yoga too, but I'm fascinated with this set.
Old 03-16-20, 07:22 PM  
Mickey12

Bubbles,

I wanted to hopefully actually help you, so I am going to post the notes I made about each practice in the Udaya Liquid Asana Live set. Also, I neglected to post earlier that the production is really great, just as good as the other Udaya sets, the live music is such a beautiful addition, IMO.

DVD 1 Introduction - this is Micheline alone, fast paced short and sweet practice, 24 minutes.

DVD 2 Sankalpa, 53 minutes. First 30 minutes are sun salutations A&B the nice stretches held a long time. Good music.

DVD 3 Beginner's Mind, 64 minutes. Very slow, spine circles, arm movements, breath. Music is nice but practice is too slow.

DVD 4 Roots, Rock and Flow, 74 minutes. Not my favorite. Standing poses and some advanced arm balances, poses held pretty long. Music is more jazzy, not as soothing.

DVD 5 Rock the Shakti 1, 51 minutes. 28 minutes free flow movement and dance then easy stretches held a long time.

DVD 6 Fire in the Belly, Honey in the Heart, 71 minutes. Really nice vocal music, breath of fire flow, abs, stretches for core. Savasana is almost 10 minutes.

DVD 7 The Middle Way, 70 minutes. Balance poses, really nice music.

DVD 8 The Power of Staying. 62 minutes. Yin practice. Very little talk, poses held long.

DVD 9 Dancing with the Unknown. 70 minutes. Inversions. Lots of rest between each inversion, not too strenuous. First 5 minutes is seated breath of fire.

DVD 10 Heart Bloom. 90 minutes. Way too long. Back bends. Not much flow. First 15 minutes is talk with some movement.

DVD 11 Rock the Shakti 2, 58 minutes. Good music, slow movement building into free form dance for the first 30 minutes, then slow stretches held a long time.

DVD 12 Yoga Chill Lounge. 46 minutes. Supported positions, no work.

I hope that gives you some idea of each practice.

I had forgotten that there was a Yin practice in this set. It's a good thing I took a close look at the practices again. Now I can do the Yin one soon!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 06:56 AM  
bubbles76

Kim thank you! The practices sound excellent. Long practices though. Didn't realize most were over 60 minutes. Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-18-20, 01:14 PM  
Rhonda

They looked like good practices but the length has and will continue keeping me away.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 01:40 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Bubbles,

I wanted to hopefully actually help you, so I am going to post the notes I made about each practice in the Udaya Liquid Asana Live set. Also, I neglected to post earlier that the production is really great, just as good as the other Udaya sets, the live music is such a beautiful addition, IMO.

DVD 1 Introduction - this is Micheline alone, fast paced short and sweet practice, 24 minutes.

DVD 2 Sankalpa, 53 minutes. First 30 minutes are sun salutations A&B the nice stretches held a long time. Good music.

DVD 3 Beginner's Mind, 64 minutes. Very slow, spine circles, arm movements, breath. Music is nice but practice is too slow.

DVD 4 Roots, Rock and Flow, 74 minutes. Not my favorite. Standing poses and some advanced arm balances, poses held pretty long. Music is more jazzy, not as soothing.

DVD 5 Rock the Shakti 1, 51 minutes. 28 minutes free flow movement and dance then easy stretches held a long time.

DVD 6 Fire in the Belly, Honey in the Heart, 71 minutes. Really nice vocal music, breath of fire flow, abs, stretches for core. Savasana is almost 10 minutes.

DVD 7 The Middle Way, 70 minutes. Balance poses, really nice music.

DVD 8 The Power of Staying. 62 minutes. Yin practice. Very little talk, poses held long.

DVD 9 Dancing with the Unknown. 70 minutes. Inversions. Lots of rest between each inversion, not too strenuous. First 5 minutes is seated breath of fire.

DVD 10 Heart Bloom. 90 minutes. Way too long. Back bends. Not much flow. First 15 minutes is talk with some movement.

DVD 11 Rock the Shakti 2, 58 minutes. Good music, slow movement building into free form dance for the first 30 minutes, then slow stretches held a long time.

DVD 12 Yoga Chill Lounge. 46 minutes. Supported positions, no work.

I hope that gives you some idea of each practice.

I had forgotten that there was a Yin practice in this set. It's a good thing I took a close look at the practices again. Now I can do the Yin one soon!

Kim
Thank you for the useful information! I should have researched the set more before I bought it. The practices are just too long for me. I thought I'd do a long practice once a week, but that never happened.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 08:57 PM  
Floren

I really like the three earlier DVDs you linked to, the first one is a favorite (I also really like Zyrka Landwidjt and Eoin). The pace is not too fast, and there is great hip flexor release stuff which I really need. It has different segments, that flow well right into each other. She also integrates so well with the great music, really helps set the mood, and it's beautifully produced. I love doing these DVDs.

It is slow paced like you see in Zyrka, but it also has flowy "liquid" moves that are outside of what you might think of as traditional yoga poses.

I got these DVDs back when Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti was a little too fast and challenging for me. Micheline's are flowy and move within a pose, but they are slower and more accessible than Yoga Shakti.

The third DVD in the series is outside in beautiful scenery.

Give them a try!

Hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Any recent thoughts on Micheline Berry's Liquid Flow Asana Live set with Udaya? I love the music, and am getting interested in doing some "slow flow" yoga. Also, any opinions on her other dvds:

https://www.amazon.com/Micheline-Ber.../dp/B0017PB5V0
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...berry/15579865
https://www.amazon.com/Micheline-Ber...4446267&sr=8-4

For reference I like Eoin Finn, Zyrka Landwidjt, and Seane Corn.
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liquid flow asana live, micheline berry