Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-17, 04:46 PM  
akaAnnie

How are preserving your videos?

I find myself buying dvds I'm not using right now because I'm afraid dvds soon won't be available. But someday these will go the way of the vhs and even if I have the dvds there won't be any way to play them. How are you preserving those videos you really don't want to be without? I know it will be a while, but streaming and downloads are becoming very popular and I see many people on here who say they are mainly streaming.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 05:08 PM  
dnna

I also am hoarding my dvds and can't really trade any f anymore. I have computer that plays dvds, and -there are dvd players all over this house. If the news is bleak and the companies stop making players/computer with disc drives I will stock up.
I do have back up dvds for my favorite series. I know from experience it is super hard to track down a dvd now.
I can never stream, at least while I am living up here at Winterfell. We have Hughes net and have very little streaming time.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 06:32 PM  
Helen

The .iso file can be made from DVDs, which can then be played on a computer.
My DVD player takes USB input but haven't ever done it - so not sure if it needs MP4 or a single .iso on a flash drive; but I've been collecting .iso files as a digital backup.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 06:36 PM  
dmlarue1

I use a program to convert my DVDs to mp4s and put them on jump drives which I can play on my Roku 3 or my computer.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 06:25 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I see myself putting my DVDs on a hard drive or network in the future. While I have accumulated more DVDs lately, I am trying to cull that because I would like to whittle down to absolute must haves and unload everything else while DVDs still have some value. Eventually they won't be worth anything. I still have maybe a dozen VHS but those are burned to DVD. Those I really should put on a hard drive now before the DVDs deteriorate. Those VHS were never released to DVD.

Plus, I am doing more walking outside for cardio these days, and intend on utilizing You Tube more as well. I have had a couple DVD sprees lately, Mary's sale and Margaret Richard this past week but that could be the last for me.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 07:27 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Oh no, now I am worried about my dvd's I have done a lot of streaming the past few years, but I really, really like being able to pick and choose out of my large dvd collection. I guess I better figure out this tech stuff and start converting my dvd's...
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 11:21 AM  
akaAnnie

I'm thinking converting too. The technology changes so much that even if I stocked up on dvd players I don't know what might be compatible with future tvs.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 12:24 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
I see myself putting my DVDs on a hard drive or network in the future. While I have accumulated more DVDs lately, I am trying to cull that because I would like to whittle down to absolute must haves and unload everything else while DVDs still have some value. Eventually they won't be worth anything.
This is my situation exactly. There are still some dvds I'd like to have though. I may have to bite the bullet and start buying downloads when available. I plan on converting my collection to an external hard drive. The task is just so daunting though!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 01:04 PM  
buttons11

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
I'm thinking converting too. The technology changes so much that even if I stocked up on dvd players I don't know what might be compatible with future tvs.
akaAnnie this is what I just said to DH. Who knows where technologies will be in 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
This is my situation exactly. There are still some dvds I'd like to have though. I may have to bite the bullet and start buying downloads when available. I plan on converting my collection to an external hard drive. The task is just so daunting though!
I agree bubbles76. But my DH has inspired me as he worked through his movie DVD's this past year. He would do 2-3 each evening. They would download in the background, or overnight. Baby steps has been my method for most things overwhelming of late, especially since I've been ill.

My #1 motivation for downloading DVD's would be to have a safe back-up. But we are also considering moving to a smaller home. The moving part and the smaller part both have impact here. I've been considering decluttering with the mindset of "do I want to pack, move & unpack this?" These workouts seem to need the same scrutiny.

One thing we don't know is how to download premixes and menu info. DH has offered to research this, but I also seem to recall that being discussed here VF. Will have to peruse old threads.

I think I will also have to consider time investment vs value when choosing which DVD's to put on hard drive. I may have to sort these workouts by..."nice to have for variety=just keep as DVD" vs "must have favorites=must back-up"?

I dunno, anyone else here have any ideas beside just downloading them all? How did you/will you decide what to download, keep dvd's vs sell/donate?

"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 01:36 PM  
Leonana

We still have a VHS/DVD combo player that works, and have some Disney VHS movies that we picked up at Goodwill for 99 cents. So I think I can manage to have a dvd player around for awhile after dvd's go the way of the dodo. When they stop selling dvds, I'll start buying downloads. Since I don't know what I'll be using in ten years or what technology will be around, I hate to decide now!

Tags
backing up dvd