Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-12, 03:28 PM  
nevertoolate

What's the difference between hard & soft kettlebell style?

What's the difference between hard and soft style regarding kettlebell workouts? Does it only apply to the swing? And do I need to care? Will it compromise my learning process if I mix styles?

I know that Tracy Reifkind is hardstyle. I have her dvd Mastering the Hardstyle Kettlebell Swing and I really learned a lot about the swing among other things (like the best way to do a plank ).

I'm doing the Skogg System right now. Is that hardstyle? Or soft?

What about:

Lauren Brooks
Paul Katami
Kettlebell Kickboxing
RKS
AOS Providence
Steve Cotter
Sarah Lurie

Thanks for your help

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 07:02 PM  
bee1forfitness

One is used more for competition "soft style" (reserve energy to keep going longer) and a little easier on the joints than hard style, a different breathing pattern and the bell and handle remain consistence no matter what the weight...the other is used more for fitness "hard style" more tension and force, a different breathing pattern (usually the opposite of "soft style"), the bell and handle will vary based on the bell weight, although both will ready help get you fit. I think for many it's just a preference...although some think their way is the best. For more detail on the difference here's a link that explains it in more detail and better than me...plus the link will show you some clips examples

http://www.kettlebellworks.com/

Steve Cotter-Competition style, more "soft style"
Skogg System-His style, but a more "soft style"

All are RKC or HKC more "hard style"
Lauren Brooks
RKS
AOS Providence
Sarah Lurie

Not really sure
Paul Katami
Kettlebell Kickboxing
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 06:57 AM  
Cammie-Cam

Katami and Kettlebell kickboxing are what I'd call cardio kettlebell workouts. They move too quickly to get any strength benefits but use the kettlebell for heart rate.

Lisa Balash is a kettlebell competitor. Or she was at one point. Her DVDs are a mix of hard style and GS style. I don't like calling it soft style because there really isn't anything soft about it. It may look that way but it's still a very challenging way to work with kettlebells.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 04:43 PM  
nevertoolate

Thanks to both of you for your feedback. I'm in week 8 of the Skogg System and trying to decide what to do next -- RKS or Kettlebell Kickboxing. I didn't know if the hard vs soft style matters in making that decision. I've also got Lauren Brooks, Providence, and Sarah Lurie waiting in the wings. (And that's just the kettlebell stuff.) Too many workout choices, not enough time...

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 05:22 AM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammie-Cam View Post
I don't like calling it soft style because there really isn't anything soft about it. It may look that way but it's still a very challenging way to work with kettlebells.
Plus one ! Actually you do so long sets it requires a lot of mental thoughness and endurance.

The ^soft stylers^ also don't usually call themself that way, because they train the way kb was born as a sport ( even if technique is now perfected )
Hardstyle is a term that was introduced by Pavel to describe his style

Tags
hard vs soft style, kettlebell, kettlebells