Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-11, 07:06 PM  
FitJosee

Thank you all for your great information.
Old 01-25-11, 07:40 PM  
ardnas

Is Nia similar to Gabrielle Roth's 3 DVD Wave set? Do you do your own thing or is there a structured routine? What is the difference between Nia DVDs?
Thanks
Old 01-27-11, 03:41 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I've only seen clips of Roth's and read about them but I believe NIA is much more structured. Global Unity has a too-long-for-me section where you do your own thing within the contect of 'being a scarf' but you can skip it using the chaptering. Sanjana may ?? have a very short bit of freeform. It's the newest and I've only done it a couple of time, not recently. Otherwise for most of the workots there is a movement patten but it is repeated and you're encouraged to do your own style and level within that pattern. Then the pattern will change, or get expanded, or go back to a previous move. You really don't have to think about the moves but they do often emphasize experiencing the movement and the sensation of it. And they really emphasize enjoying moving.

The link to Unplugged in that other thread is very representative of the workout style, though the style of the filming varies. Here, I found the clip link. Sometimes they move a bit faster than this but usually intensity depends on how big you make the moves.

That's Carlos leading on the right in the blue tanktop and Debbie in the olive green on the left. I think they're both in my age range - late 50s.

I also just got an e-mail with a link to their recently updated NIA in the News page with further links to recent articles in places ranging from Marie Claire to the Huffington Post. If you sign up you'll get one or two e-mails a week, sometimes skipping a week, but a lot of the info is about goings on in their Portland OR studios or teacher training stuff plus articles on Debbie's mind/body phylosophy and research which I rarely read. Debbie also does some free teleconference lectures on aspects of the system, but I haven't done them.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 10:31 AM  
lilmonkey2

I received the Unplugged DVD yesterday, previewed it when I got it and then did it today. I really liked it. It made me think of a walking workout without the boredom If you can let yourself go and look past the bit of chanting(or whatever you want to call it--so not my thing), it is an enjoyable workout. I liked the movements, loved the drums. I wouldn't say this is intense, but it will be really great for those days when I want to do something but don't feel like burning myself out. The movements were really easy to pick up and follow and I did work up a little sweat. I suppose the more you put into it, the more you get out of it and since I am naturally UNgraceful, I wasn't giving it my all as I was trying to follow along. But, I bet by making the movements bigger and more deliberate it would really be a good workout.

I'm glad I came across this, it's not something I would have looked to seek out.
lilmonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, carlos and debbie rosas, nia