Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-10, 12:33 PM  
Richie

Red face Bar Method first time oh god! / pilates roll-up hell!

I just tried "The Bar Method Beginner's Workout" for the very first time and I could cry! My whole body is screaming and I know I am going to really feel this tomorrow! I enjoyed the workout but it moved a little too fast for a true novice and OMG some of the positions I just cannot do!
I admit I am not the fittest person having started back in earnest a month ago after an enforced exercise break during which time my weight ballooned to over 240lbs because I simply didn't care.
I've been doing a lot of "Slim in 6" (I'm comfortably doing 'Ramp it up' every other day and already feeling and seeing a difference in my body) and on the other days "10MS pilates for beginners" which I really love as well some 3 mile Leslie and other things as the mood takes me.

So, the things I can't do "properly" and need advice on please:
In TBM the "reverse push-ups" (aka sort of tricep dips, right?) are next to impossible as I simply can't lift my body weight in that position at the moment (I have no problem with regular push-ups). I did really feel them when I used a pillow to slightly raise my upper body some. Do you think this is an okay alternative? I have a more solid foam block that I'll use next time. The fact that I still really felt it in my triceps means that it was okay, right?

In Pilates, I find the roll-up next to impossible. Does this just come with time, practice and building core strength? I basically have to use rocking momentum to get upright at the moment!

Anyway I'm determinded to keep going with all of it because it makes me feel SO much better but I just had to whinge about these things to people who might just get it!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 01:12 PM  
neatski

I've done triceps dips off of chairs and the step, so I'm sure it's fine to elevate your upper body.

Barre is one of those things that doesn't really get any easier as you keep doing it- in fact, I'd say it gets harder- but you learn to tolerate it better .

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 01:16 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

for triceps dips you can leave your bum on the ground and flex your elbows. Your mod sounds fine. As far as roll ups, that's not an easy move - I think you are just experiencing why it's good to use different types of workouts ... it's a good thing.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 02:05 PM  
zumzum

That's awesome! You're doing dvds from several of my favorite instructors, and I always love how I feel afterwards-it can be addictive. I'm so glad you're enjoying them!

I did triceps dips while leaving my bum on the ground for a couple of weeks while waiting for my elbow to heal, and if I concentrated on the moves and got into them it burned almost as much as when I had my bum off the ground.
zumzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 03:19 PM  
Richie

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-01-10, 03:21 PM  
Honeydew

For the pilates roll up, are you keeping your feet on the ground, knees bent? Squeeze your legs together, butt and tighten your abs, as you start to roll up, place your hands on the backside of your thighs or maybe under your knees to help assist yourself up. I had to do it this way for awhile and it does help.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 03:28 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
For the pilates roll up, are you keeping your feet on the ground, knees bent? Squeeze your legs together, butt and tighten your abs, as you start to roll up, place your hands on the backside of your thighs or maybe under your knees to help assist yourself up. I had to do it this way for awhile and it does help.
This!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 05:06 PM  
kitty12

For the Pilates roll up, yeah, it becomes easier in time. I do both straight leg and bent knee versions. Initially I couldn't really do the straight leg so did them all bent knee, with my hands on my legs to help for support. I don't squeeze my legs together when I do them - hadn't ever seen that before. But tighten your butt, tuck your tail to flatten your back to the ground and that should make it easier. Think of it as a roll, not a situp.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 05:54 PM  
Richie

Honeydew and kitty12, that's fantastic advice thank you, I'll try that.
I really look forward to the day I can do a roll-up and roll-down with total control! It's one of my main exercise goals!
Old 12-01-10, 05:57 PM  
shortie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Honeydew and kitty12, that's fantastic advice thank you, I'll try that.
I really look forward to the day I can do a roll-up and roll-down with total control! It's one of my main exercise goals!
Same here -- trying to get my abs back after two c-sections, and they are truly pathetically weak. I can't do a pilates rollup without someone bracing my feet. I feel like, when the day comes that I can do a rollup without cheating, I will have met a giant goal.
shortie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar method, beginner, difficult, pilates