Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-10, 07:04 AM  
millie

If you are thinking DVDs -- some prevention workouts may fit the bill -- Sugar Solution and others by Chris Freytag (and some clock in at 20 minutes ) so you will be done quickly.
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 07:19 AM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
Hi there!

Congratulations on recognizing the problem and taking action to remedy it! I have a few beginner level DVDs that are just taking up space on my shelf and I'd be happy to send them to you for an SASE. Just email me and we can work out details.

Take care,
Sherri
Old 10-02-10, 07:31 AM  
Demeris

I'm going to suggest some of Charlene Prickett's low impact stuff. I'm grateful to her for getting my cardiovascular health kick started a few years ago.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 07:50 AM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Uh, about the dog thing. Seriously, that's a HUGE commitment and most days you can have my 7mo old pup. BUT it did start a habit of walking every blessed morning for 1.5 to 2 miles. Here's the thing that could be viewed as good news or bad: The pup isn't worn out at 2 miles anymore (lab) and I've had to start adding more loops to the walk.

You don't have to feed a dvd either. Just sayin. Walking is wonderful, a recumbent bike is wonderful, new dvds are wonderful, puppies - not so much.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 08:05 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

A couple of thoughts. Can you walk to work, or do you have too much stuff to carry? You seem to have time between appointments, so maybe you can use that time to "commute", rather than sit around.

And about those meds you're on... have you had them re-evaluated since you started? They can affect weight, metabolism, etc.

I like the idea of a stationary/recumbent bike (you can read and watch tv while you cycle), some step tapes without the step (more interesting choreography, possibly better music), and maybe throw in some strength training.

Is your son active? When he's with you, maybe you can do outdoors stuff together. Sometimes just having a partner is the motivation you need!

Good luck
Old 10-02-10, 08:15 AM  
PeakFitness

There are a lot of people doing walking workouts, not just Leslie. I have the Prevention one with Chris Freytag. Debra Mazda was also mentioned. Kathy Smith has one. You can look at collagevideo.com and see a bunch of different walking workouts and see what level they all are. It would get you away from the 4 basic moves at least.

I also can sit around reading all day if I'm really enjoying the book, I get totally "in the zone" and don't want to stop reading. But I started using it as a reward and don't pick up a book till I workout first.
Old 10-02-10, 08:29 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Lexy is right...walking a dog is great exercise, but also it's like having a little child around who never grows up...a big commitment. And the little darlings can get pricey: food, vet visits, and if you're renting will a dog even be allowed?

I wear a pedometer many days and it's been a big motivator to keep moving...otherwise I'd probably sit at this computer playing games, researching whatever comes up...I'm not good at just sitting and watching TV...have to be up and doing something along with the watching

Good luck with your journey. You took the first step by realizing you have a problem and need help and that's probably the hardest part!
Old 10-02-10, 08:35 AM  
imhere2dance

Tired of Leslie?!! Say what? LOL

Try walking outside when the weather is nice. Or walk in place while watching TV. My mom does that twice a day for 30 minutes at a time.

If you have a library near you, see if you can borrow some exercise DVDs.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 08:40 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaigirl View Post
Hi there!

Congratulations on recognizing the problem and taking action to remedy it! I have a few beginner level DVDs that are just taking up space on my shelf and I'd be happy to send them to you for an SASE. Just email me and we can work out details.

Take care,
Sherri
I want to second Sherri's offer. PM me, and I'll tell you what I have.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 09:40 AM  
Whitney

I'll add in a vote for something like a bike or mini elliptical, that's how I got started working out on a regular basis. I'd DVR all my favorite shows and not watch them unless I was working out. It got me started on a regular workout schedule and helped build up my fitness until I was ready to start with more videos.
Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, beginner, beginners, walk at home, walking workouts