Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-09, 04:58 PM  
cybil

What's your favourite beginner Pilates video?

I have Pilates videos but tend to choose Yoga first. I tried classes at the university here but they were large and frustrating. I am weak it that area, have chronic pain, can't hold positions well, so ended up with the new people just learning how to breathe. I was away last year and enjoyed the Pilates class because it was a mix of yoga and pilates and also different levels to the positions.

I'm looking for a good video that is also fun as I will probably be a permanent beginner.
cybil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-09, 05:10 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi Cybil,

I would recommend the 10 Minute Solution Pilates workout (link below). Collage lists it as Beginner/Intermediate. This was my first Pilates workout (first workout video ever!) and I made wonderful strides with it. The ab section is a little harder (~intermediate) and I still use it often, but the whole video is very doable for a beginner. It is fun and very comprehensive.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...n-pilates-7385

ETA: You can do it in 10 minute parts (just abs, legs, upper body, total body, or stretch) so it seems less overwhelming and frustrating just starting out.
Old 12-15-09, 05:11 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

double post
Old 12-15-09, 06:29 PM  
Mary L

I was going to suggest that one, too! One of my all-time favorites to this day!
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-09, 06:35 PM  
DachsieDogMom

I also recommend 10 minute solutions. I like all their pilates DVD's, they good beginners too.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-09, 06:53 PM  
alisoncooks

Add me in on the 10 MS videos. Last week I got the Pilates and Rapid Results pilates in a trade (then I went and bought 10 MS Pilates Perfect Body). I've been really impressed with them. Other popular ones I've tried but did not "click" with: Element Pilates (the one with Brooke Siler) and the beginner Pilates video that Kristin McGee did.

ETA: I generally do not like the 10 MS videos (I prefer a fluid, continuous workout). The pilates ones work for me b/c I tend to use pilates as an add-on after cardio and I like the flexibility of choosing 1-2 10 min segments.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-09, 07:00 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I haven't done the 10 MS video, but I really liked Michelle Dozois' intro video Pilates for Dummies, enough that I reacquired it after trading it away. There is an intermediate workout on the DVD as well (not on the VHS).

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 12:44 AM  
bfit

I recommend the Pilates for Dummies too. It's a great place to start with Pilates. There is also the Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates with 3 10 minute sections. This was actually my first Pilates workout. It's enjoyable and not too hard. If I remember right Ellen Barrett is the instructor.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 05:18 AM  
herya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I recommend the Pilates for Dummies too. It's a great place to start with Pilates. There is also the Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates with 3 10 minute sections. This was actually my first Pilates workout. It's enjoyable and not too hard. If I remember right Ellen Barrett is the instructor.
OP, if you're in chronic pain I'd recommend Ellen's workout too. She covers a lot of ground exercise wise and gives you proper form but her workout is milder than others mentioned. I love Lara Hudson and her videos but she is very strong herself and the form she demostrates might be encouraing you to strain too much if you have some performance limitations.
herya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 08:27 AM  
cherimac

Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates
Kristen McGee Pilates for Begiinners is fabulous!

Tags
beginner, pilates, pilates for beginners