Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-18, 04:50 PM  
acescholar

Other workouts comparable to MR Getting Better?

Margaret Richard's Getting Better is one of the few weighted workouts that is safe for my scoliosis and makes me feel strong . Are there other workouts that include upper body work performed either lying down or sitting and lower body floor work that includes all-fours draped over or supported by a step? I haven't yet explored all of my MR workouts yet, so open to suggestions for other MR workouts. [I also use Karen Voight's GWW, and the lower body floor work is good, but I'm not sure the UB is safe for me.]

Thanks in advance. I love Getting Better, but I need a bit more variety.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-18, 05:25 PM  
bubbles76

It's been awhile, but I think Kathy Smith's Secrets to a Great Upper Body will fit the bill. Can't remember about the Secrets to a Great Lower Body. I will research and get back to you.

ETA: From the review forum, here are the exercises in detail for Secrets to a Great Lower Body:

Squats - 16 reps, w/w - 12
Bridgework - 1 set of 16 then 8 triples, then 1 set of 16
Rear Leg Lifts while standing (option bent knee)
16 then, 8 reps in lifted position
then on floor - 16reps then 8 triples.
Lie on back one leg on chair, other extended straight up.
1 set 16 reps, other leg
repeat.
Standing Side leg lifts - 16 then 8 tripples at the top
Lying on side - 16 reps
HFL Plies - 2 sets of 12
Elbow on chair, back parallel to floor, lift buttox slightly
Static Dips - 12 weight over front leg, then 12 with weight over rear leg.
quarter squat
Inner thigh lifts - 16 reps
one leggeed calf raises 12 reps then 8
Shin raises - lying on back, one ankle on top of other toe... lift.
other leg, repeat

Stretch - 3 min.

So looks like about half. The calf raises can be done sitting, but I don't know how you would substitute the plies, squats, and static dips.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-18, 05:54 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Here's a seated upper body weight routine from Faithful Workouts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SFw-GGUX20

And one from Coach Nicole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E188slxISG8

A total body workout from Jessica Smith, seated in a chair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Km...wh_uDH&index=7

Cardio and strength workout from Jessica, seated in a chair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC9...h_uDH&index=18

And wasn't there a Firm workout that was just the lying lower body exercises pulled from other workouts? Tracie Long was on the cover?

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-18, 06:27 PM  
acescholar

Wow, thank you both for your responses and information . I have returned to a lot of Kathy Smith's workouts, and I may even have Secrets! And, the youtube links are very helpful -- Jessica Smith is one of my go-to instructors these days, but I didn't realize she had some seated workouts.
Old 07-08-18, 02:46 AM  
starbelly

I have only done the upper body portion of Margret's Muscle and Grace, but in that workout she gives various options (standing or seated, dumbbells or bodybar) which should enable you to modify to suit your needs. On brief preview, it seems that most lower body work is done on the floor (quads and calves are done standing).
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 11:56 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

You want draped over a step? Get the Firm Lower Body II (2002) led by Libby Heath.

Also, many years ago, Joyce Vedral recommended seated leg extensions as a therapeutic alternative to squats.

And if you can tolerate a bit of silliness, Chair Dancing has strength DVDs as well as cardio. All seated.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 01:52 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Caroline Jordan has a lot of hurt foot workouts that might work for you.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 02:03 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Pahla Bowers has some seated workouts. I haven't tried them, but you can check them out and see of they look safe for your body:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zvCJk5XcaQmvtL

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 02:03 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Pahla Bowers has several seated workouts that include weights.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 05:04 PM  
acescholar

More good suggestions, thanks! Cynthia, I have Libby's workout, and I haven't yet tried it--I will! I'll also look into Chair Dancing. Margaret can get a little silly (in an endearing way), but the workout is so good I don't mind it.

Thanks Vintage V and Susan H for the youtube links -- those look great! Both Caroline Jordan and Pahla Bowers have a lot of good content

Star belly, I just noticed your post -- I will definitely try Muscle and Grace. It's good to know that I have so many things I can use in my own stash .