Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-11, 10:36 AM  
shelleyann

Do More Standing Pilates: Mat Series

I wanted to do a quick review of the Mat series workout. I bought it from their website and it arrived VERY quickly, within a few days of ordering. It also came with a free tank top...white ribbed with pink writing that says "Do More Pilates" on the front and "Use Your Core" on the back.

The workout is divided into segments: Full Body Flow, Slow Ab Burn, Lower Body Blast, Core Strength & Balance, and Fundamentals: Proper Positioning, which I didn't do. The dvd is chaptered. The total time with fundamentals was almost 77 minutes. Overall, it was quite a bit tougher, in my opinion, than the Standing dvd (first dvd). It was basic pilates moves, with the same setting as the first dvd. I liked the calm feel and professional, kind manner of the instructors. It is rather soothing, even though the work was challenging.

The first section begins with ab work continues with some unweighted arm work and a few leg exercises. The Ab burn does mostly different exercises from the first with quite a bit of plank work, so there is very little repetition of exercises. The instructors alternate sections as lead. The lower body section was all side lying. Each section actually begins with some core/ab work. The Balance section does a lot on your hands and knees with some side leg lifts/kicks and arm/leg extensions and even a few push-ups. Overall, I really felt it and it moved quickly without much pause or instruction, only guidance as you were working. It has some voice over, but mostly real time instruction. I enjoyed it!

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 11:12 AM  
moonbeam31

Great review! This one sounds and looks great! I have it on my wishlist!
Tracy
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 12:53 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Thanks for the review, Shelley! I might have to put it on my wish list after all!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 01:15 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

So.. this is Do More Standing Pilates, yet this one is all floor work?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 01:20 PM  
jplain

Thanks for the review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
The company is called do more Pilates, and they've put out 2 DVDs: do more Pilates Standing was the first, and the second is do more Pilates Mat Series. However there is floorwork in the Standing video, which is kinda strange.
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 04:18 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review. I saw these two DVDs in Mary's Coming Soon section (I keep checking, waiting for the clip of the new Kari Anderson DVDs).

After all the stupid names we've had to suffer - "Do More... " is quite catchy & encouraging.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 06:07 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Actually, as noted, the series is called Do More Pilates with the first workout called Standing and the second called Mat. The title of the first one is written Do More Pilates: Standing. However, for some reason it started getting referred to as Do More Standing Pilates at times here and that seems to have stuck.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)

Last edited by KarenJo; 05-05-11 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
KarenJo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bea wood, do more pilates, niece pecenka, standing pilates