Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-10, 08:09 PM  
Mary09(b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
How about changing some of your reading to audio books that you can listen to while walking outside? www.audible.com has a good selection.
Good idea! If money's an issue most public libraries have lots of books on MP3 or CD.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 08:31 PM  
Fitmama

I would suggest Beginner Live Tae Bos. They are fun and I always look forward to them.

About the dog, don't get one if you weren't already thinking about adopting one. But maybe you could take your neighbors dogs or those of your clients or their neighbors for walks?? You might even be able to earn a few extra dollars while you burn calories.

Live Kidney Donor April 2014 - Donate and save a life!
Fitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 05:36 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

As was posted on another thread, Exercise TV has pages and pages of free downloadable workouts - many in the 20-40min range - so you're sure to find something you'd like to at least try. And again, they're FREE!: http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-vid...recently-added
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 08:28 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitmama View Post
About the dog, don't get one if you weren't already thinking about adopting one. But maybe you could take your neighbors dogs or those of your clients or their neighbors for walks?? You might even be able to earn a few extra dollars while you burn calories.
Or you can go to the SPCA and walk the dogs there. They LOVE it!!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 09:38 AM  
kkowert

Here's my 2 cents.

First, you are not alone. Join some check ins here or join some groups on Sparkpeople.com. You will get a lot of information and support.

I love to walk outside at local parks when the weather is nice (like now). I take along my iPod and listen to music or catch up on some podcasts I enjoy. There are also audio books you can listen too - when I am listening to anything the time flies by when I am walking.

I also recommend Ellen Barrett's Walk Off Belly Fat if you need to walk inside. It is more interesting than Leslie, but still doable. I would also check out Walk Off Weight work out by Chris Freytag - she is great. I also recommend Gilad - he has a half hour show on TV but without commercials they work out to be 22 minute workouts - love them and he is super motivating. Look for the Gilad Total Body Sculpt workouts - there are 3 separate 22 mintue workouts that have a warm up, upper body strengthening, lower body and ab work.
kkowert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 11:31 AM  
Fitmama

Just another suggestion - I think that Karen Voight's workouts are great for getting past begginer to intermediate level. She always has a nice balance of cardio, strength and stretching. Her cardio is interesting and varies from dancy to kickboxing. She gives excellent form pointers in her strength workouts , she really teaches you good habits that you can carry with you into other workouts. She always gives nice effective stretches too.

Live Kidney Donor April 2014 - Donate and save a life!
Fitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 12:51 PM  
CarlaShanti

Well, I was 75 lbs overweight when I started and I went full whack and started with The Firm Body Sculpting System. (It was BSS1, and that was all that was out at the time. I bought it new from the infomercial!) It was hard, but I did it, with modifications. I just did the best I could. 10 years on, I'm still within my ideal weight range and working out 5-6 days a week. If you want to, you can do it. Just pick something and do it. YOU CAN DO IT! You can.
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 01:27 PM  
Gams

Ditto what Fitmama and Peggy said about the dog. You (not you specifically, but people in general) don't get a dog because you are hoping it will motivate you to exercise more. A dog should be adopted because you really want a dog and are prepared to properly take care of one for its lifetime. Also, shelter dogs are not "low cost" and "low maintenance" - any dog can have an expensive medical issue at anytime in its life. I've had dogs that have cost me nothing more than their annual vaccinations and other dogs that have cost me thousands in veterinary bills.

I think you've gotten a lot of good advice as far as alternative workouts to Leslie's. You could even just go on the Collage website and watch a few clips and see what appeals to you. I like Kathy Smith's Matrix Walk, although it wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

(P. S. I used to go to my local Humane Society and walk dogs all the time. The dogs loved getting out for a walk and I enjoyed it, too, although I was often known to burst into tears when I'd show up to walk my favorite dogs and they had been adopted out.)
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 02:25 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I want to second, Rockin' Body, by Shaun T. I did a couple of these workouts this past weekend and I thought they would be a perfect alternative to any walking workout.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 04:54 PM  
ladyveg

Again, thank you all for such great suggestions! I'm going to make a list of the DVDs and instructors that are mentioned on this thread and check them out on Collage. Thanks again to all who have posted, I'm totally using the information you are giving me!
ladyveg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, beginner, beginners, walk at home, walking workouts