Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-10, 08:33 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Retro Review: Geo Foreman Walk It Off a prequel to Petra's Cardio for Beginners

George Foreman Walk It Off Flat Blasting Walk with Petra Kolber.
The whole time I was doing this workout, I was having deja vu to Cardio for Beginners. This would be cardio for beginners with a boxing venue and not so matchy-matchy backup walkers.

This is a retro review. I got this in a trade probably six months ago, right before a Wii binge, so I am weaning off the Wii and reached for this.

What a fun, basic workout. I would recommend it for any beginner/restarter/looking for fun and no mental angst-er.

Very basic boxing gym setup. Obviously a little chilly on the set. Lots of backgrounders. George is encouraging and funny and not necessarily the best with the cue cards. I think he was one set ahead for the entire workout.
Petra is Petra. Lets George do his thing, and then picks up with where they really are in the workout. Having only done this once, I don’t know if this will get annoying or not.

Very basic. Walking/marching in place, then side steps and then the “intense interval,” meaning a faster walking in place.

I did write down all the steps, but really, I don’t think you need a play by play. You do side steps and mini lunges/tap steps and “Foreman shuffle” interspersed with the faster walking. There is no boosted walking ala Leslie. It is literally just lifting the legs faster.

There are knee ups and forward and back side steps.

And then at the end, she puts them all together and then you go to the cool down.

That’s it. I got about 3,000 steps. No mile call outs like Leslie does. Just the workout and you are done. Come back and see us sometime.

As my "humor" sometimes doesn't come across well, I want to state I am in no way dismissive of this workout. I liked it. I will do it again. I will recommend it for anybody who just wants to move.

I did this after I did Marisa Tomei's workout, whose name escapes me but I will review later, and it was a nice little combo. I have a heavy physical/emotional day ahead of me and I just wanted to do something that would allow me to think yet move and feel like well, this is all about me if no other part of the day is.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 08:38 AM  
sherry7899

Renda,

I kept a few of the George/Petra workouts and do them from time to time. Since I"m sort of re-starting (again) this would be a good one to use.
I like the variety of the background walkers and the music.

I'm burned out on Leslie right now. I did Ellen Barrett's Walk off Belly Fat this morning and enjoyed it. I just wish it had better music.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 08:44 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Sherry,

I did Leslie's Bootcamp yesterday and I just couldn't face another Leslie today, for whatever reason.

I picked up Ellen's walking DVD at WW on Sunday, the last copy at my center.
That was what I planned to do today, but I couldn't find it, of course, and just popped George in.

I am glad for that serendipidity. It did put me in a good mood and it makes me happy knowing there are DVDs like this out there. Also, I was surprised how many there are. When I went to put the review in, I had to go make sure of the title.
Watching the opening with everybody moving, it surprised me when none of those people were in the workout. So I guess they were from other workouts.

I like George and I like Petra. I think they should package these with George's grill.

Go say hey to George. It will be fun and it will get you moving.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
Old 07-27-10, 08:48 AM  
sherry7899

Renda,

I do have Ellen's Weight Watchers Walking kit (trade from another Vf'er) but the one I did today was from Prevention Magazine. She has another one called "Express Belly Walk" also.

I have Leslie's bootcamp dvd (another trade) but still haven't done it yet. Did you like it?

If you belong to swapadvd.com you can easily get some of the George/Petra dvds there. They currently have Circuit Burn. I did not keep that one. I think it had a lot of squats and lunges which I do not like.

Take care,
Sherry
Old 07-27-10, 11:46 AM  
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Renda,

I do have Ellen's Weight Watchers Walking kit (trade from another Vf'er) but the one I did today was from Prevention Magazine. She has another one called "Express Belly Walk" also.

I have Leslie's bootcamp dvd (another trade) but still haven't done it yet. Did you like it?

If you belong to swapadvd.com you can easily get some of the George/Petra dvds there. They currently have Circuit Burn. I did not keep that one. I think it had a lot of squats and lunges which I do not like.

Take care,
Sherry
Oooh! I like Circuit Burn. I treat this one like Leslie's Walk Strong. I grab some dumbbells and do rows & overhead presses with the lunges. Nice change of pace & dirt cheap on Amazon.
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 11:54 AM  
sherry7899

TLB, that's a great idea to use weights with Circuit Burn! I wish I'd thought of that before I gave away the dvd.

I really like Leslie's Walk Strong-the one that uses weights, not the stretchie band.

Sherry
Old 07-27-10, 02:41 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Just when I think I have at least heard of all of Leslie's, I hear of a new one.

That one actually sounds different.

Sherry, I did a review of the Bootcamp and it is in the new reviews section. Ya know, it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it as I enjoy every Leslie. Like walking with a neighbor, I have heard most of what she has to say but I don't mind hearing it again.

I may need to join Swap a DVD just to get rid of some of my workouts. Sounds like a lot of work, though.

Thanks for the tips.

Words matter.

Tags
beginner, george foreman, petra kolber, walk it off with george