Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-08, 04:44 PM  
Sparky10

Comments on Balocity please

I have considered ordering Balocity from Collage. Today I saw it at B&N but it was $20 so I wanted to check here and see what people thought of it before I spend the money. Does anyone like it? I like Squeeze and LB and kettlenetics interested me so much that I ordered....I am not sure if this is like any one of those but I thought it seemed like it might be. Any comments are welcome. TIA
Sparky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 06:49 PM  
cfgcanada

I have this and have only done it once so far. My thought at that time was that I'd have to do it again before I really decided how I felt about it. I wasn't blown away by it, but didn't hate it either. Sometimes you know right away that you really like something - like Element Ballet which I think is a really great toning workout - and other times (like with Balocity) it takes longer to warm up to it (or not as the case may be).

It's nothing like Squeeze or LB or other barre workouts. I would say that it's similar to the cardio Balletone workouts (and possibly a bit like the cardio part of the new Cardio Callanetics workout, which is another workout that I liked right away).

It starts with a warmup and stretches on the mat for about 10 minutes, then goes into standing cardio consisting of ballet-type moves, stretching, twisting, & balancing for about 30 minutes, and finishes up back on the floor for abs work and stretch for the last 10 minutes. If I recall rightly, her cuing could be better - a little more advance notice of move changes would be good. The moves aren't difficult but you have to pay some attention, so it's not totally mindless. I think you'll have to do it yourself to decide if this is for you or not.

BTW - I got mine from an Amazon.ca marketplace seller and the price with shipping was $15.64 in Canadian $$$, so you might want to look around for a better price.

I hope my rather undecided comments are of some help to you.

I'll be interested in other comments also.

Fiona
cfgcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 06:55 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Here is a copy of what I wrote on this thread :

I tried the workout a couple of times and it just didn't click so I traded it. Here are some thoughts:

What I liked:

**The workout begins with a short floor barre (sitting then lying on the floor) which is an unusual but effective way to warm-up the lower body muscles and open up the hips (many moves focus on the turn-out).

**All participants have exquisite form! Deanna is joined by two sisters (twins?) who are also former ballerinas. They are absolutely beautiful and inspiring to watch.

**Nice production - airy set, good music (but not loud enough), etc.

**Some of the moves were interesting - a plie/rond de jambe routine, a combo involving a developpe forward and a grand battement to the back but...

What I didn't like:

**Overall the intensity was just too low for me. I thought of using the workout as a warmup for barre workouts or for rest days but I already own a few DVDs for this purpose that I find more fun.

**I found some of the moves silly or boring. In particular, one combo is all about a "prancing" move (pony) that just didn't work for me

**The price! I paid $30 for this DVD and I am sorely disappointed to see it hit retail so quickly at a much lower price. Honestly, I feel cheated and would not purchase products from this company in the future.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 09:31 PM  
Sparky10

thanks

Thanks for the feeback---I think I will pass for now (unless I find a coupon to use). If I am going to do a toning workout, I want a little bit of a challenge (like Squeeze or Lotte Berk)---thanks for the feedback though
Sparky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 10:19 PM  
daisysunshine

Hi! Hijacking this thread, since I don't see a lot of people going "squee" Balocity, it's really ehh on most people's relms? Fuzzie - you mentioned that is' really low impact (i think that's what i have to go for for a while)....

So... people's views on this 1/2 a year later?

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 11:38 PM  
BunnyHop

I like Balocity, I like it a lot! I'm not a fan of most cardio workouts, so finding one I'll actually DO is a bit of a miracle.

I like that it's relatively newbie friendly, and that you can make the workout as challenging as you want depending on your level of fitness and dance ability. Scrupulous attention to form makes all the difference.

I'm NOT a dancer, and do have difficulty with some of the speed of the steps, but I've assumed that was my problem, not something inherent in the workout.

I wish there were a shorter premix, I think it would make a nice burst of quick cardio with no dread factor at all.

I think the 'no dread factor' is the thing I like most about it. Deanna's encouraging but not condescending, and I generally like her attitude.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 11:51 PM  
cfgcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine
Hi! Hijacking this thread, since I don't see a lot of people going "squee" Balocity, it's really ehh on most people's relms? Fuzzie - you mentioned that is' really low impact (i think that's what i have to go for for a while)....

So... people's views on this 1/2 a year later?
"Ehh" is how I felt. It's a mixture of very light cardio and toning (and I much prefer Cardio Callanetics or Ellen's Studio workouts for that). I traded mine (and all the Balletones) a while back. I LOVE some of the barre workouts especially Exhale Core Fusion Body Sculpt and the Bar Methods - new and old; but other than Element Ballet (a favourite), which doesn't have any dancing in it as such, other than a few jumps, so far I haven't much liked any other "ballet" type workouts that I've tried. I've discovered that I'm no good at anything dancy or flitting around (especially on carpeted floor). Of course, I had to try them all before learning this about myself! Not sure if that's much help as it's more my preference and ability than anything else.
Old 01-05-09, 04:24 AM  
Raquel13
VF Supporter

Mary has it now for $16.99, plus you can get 10% off with the 10off code.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Raquel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 08:14 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

And DVDPacific.com has it for $12.12 with free shipping: http://dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=889857
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 09:40 AM  
twodiffsocks

Hi Ya'll,

another one who found it okay.

i still have my copy--pm me if anyone is interested & we can discuss trade/sell my copy. I've got it "earmarked" to put up on ebay sometime.

"There ain't no rest for the wicked,
Money don't grow on trees.
I got bills to pay,
I got mouths to feed,
There ain't nothing in this world for free.
I know I can't slow down,
I can't hold back,
Though you know, I wish I could.
No there ain't no rest for the wicked,
Until we close our eyes for good".
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked -Cage The Elephant

"I dare you to do better." Christopher Pike
Start Trek {2009}

twodiffsocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balocity