Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-19, 09:11 AM  
cyana

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...ower-tracking/

Probably around the time this article was published, DH regularly got pop-ups on his android phone wanting him to do a review of the very place he was at that moment (restaurant, shopping, etc). THAT was creepy. While I keep the GPS turned off on my phone unless I'm using a ride share service (rarely), I know I'm still being tracked.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-19, 11:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

One has to turn off a lot of options on your phone to avoid location-based advertising. Many of these options are buried deep in the settings menu. One has to be as deeply paranoid as I am to do it all.

We only have one store card we use for pet food. ETA: Also a drug store one.

I turn off wifi and bluetooth when we go out. I have almost all of my location services turned off. I have as many privacy and advertising options turned off as possible. It's a lot of work to reduce tracking.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-19, 12:10 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

One time, Amazon seemed to think I'd just had a baby and wanted me to give them all kinds of information about the child so they could suggest even more products I might like. Um, how Big Brother got that so absolutely wrong is beyond me! But it was so funny, I started wondering how I could mess with everything tracking me to create some absurd and incorrect profile of myself just to spite them!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-19, 03:21 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
One time, Amazon seemed to think I'd just had a baby and wanted me to give them all kinds of information about the child so they could suggest even more products I might like. Um, how Big Brother got that so absolutely wrong is beyond me! But it was so funny, I started wondering how I could mess with everything tracking me to create some absurd and incorrect profile of myself just to spite them!
Yeah, Amazon pushed baby products to me for years after I bought a shower gift. The one that got me was how they have pushed pet products toward me for years. We've never had a pet. DH has all kinds of allergies and I tell him that so far I prefer to keep him than get a pet. But, I felt the same way. How could they get it so very WRONG?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-19, 03:39 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Oh, we've definitely had experiences like the ones described in this thread! It is creepy.

I guess there is an option to turn off Siri, but most people don't. If you don't, then yeah, she's always listening to hear if you say, "Hey Siri..."

The other night, I had FB open on my phone while we were watching TV. There was an ad on TV for ice cream & DH commented that he'd like some. We had a brief, boring conversation about what flavor we'd like, if it was worth the calories, etc. Within half an hour, what shows up in my FB feed? Ads for ice cream makers! (Something I have never searched on or shopped for). Yep, they're listening.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-19, 07:04 AM  
goldengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I once read an article on Sparkpeople about yoga for plus size people. I am not plus size but I thought there might be modifications for those of us that are not very flexible. I started receiving emails and ads for plus size clothing.

It might be fun to create an incorrect profile.

Diane
goldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-19, 09:41 AM  
sherry7899

Good Morning America had a story about brick and mortar stores "spying" on your purchases this morning. I was doing something else while it was on, so I didn't get to hear the whole thing. I will see if they put it on their website later.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-19, 09:49 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Good Morning America had a story about brick and mortar stores "spying" on your purchases this morning.
Of course they're spying on our purchases. I shop for my groceries at Meijer's, don't use any loyalty card but always pay with my debit card. Every couple of weeks I receive by mail coupons for the exact items I always buy there and not any others. So they not only know what I buy, but also where I live. How did they get my address? I assume it has to be through my use of debit card, but how did they obtain it?
Old 12-16-19, 09:55 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Of course they're spying on our purchases. I shop for my groceries at Meijer's, don't use any loyalty card but always pay with my debit card. Every couple of weeks I receive by mail coupons for the exact items I always buy there and not any others. So they not only know what I buy, but also where I live. How did they get my address? I assume it has to be through my use of debit card, but how did they obtain it?

We get the same from BJ's. I wish Wegmans had customized coupons, actually!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 11:44 PM  
Sunshine

Exclamation

Yeah, right!

One time we were standing in a hallway at work and the conversation went to that my friend needed to buy black socks. An hour later he was getting advertisements about black socks.

His phone was in his pocket, and obviously listening.

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advertising, big brother, privacy, tracking