Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-19, 03:59 PM  
SEV

Question Is Amazon reading my text?!

My DIL sent me a list of a few things she'd like for Xmas. The next day I get an email from Amazon with things I might be interested in and the first thing was an air fryer cookbook. I have never even looked at anything air fryer on Amazon, but that was on DIL's list in a text.

Just seems a little too coincidental.

I'm really not a paranoid person
SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 04:24 PM  
SpiritYogi

You'd be surprised at how technology and many media sites track people. You're not paranoid if it's true, which no doubt it is!
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 05:42 PM  
Taiga

Definitely not paranoid, though may not be directly from a cell text. If your daughter made an Amazon list or even searched they can track her back to you (esp if you ever emailed or sent to each other's address). I'm sure Alexa can also play a role in all this.

I once had an expired credit card on a pending order in my Amazon account. I happened to order through my daughter's account on my new card. They took that credit card number and used it to send out the pending order in my account. They never once contacted me.

They recently sent me search ideas from my daughter's account (not from a wish list she created). When I search on amazon, it isn't long after that I receive ads in my email account (along the margins) for those items. Big brother Bezos strikes again.....
Old 12-10-19, 06:29 PM  
goldengirl

This has happened to me on this site. I have clicked on links for mats or elastic waist pants and ads turn up when I am online and browsing. It's very disturbing to think that we are being monitored.

Diane
goldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 07:37 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Definitely not paranoid, though may not be directly from a cell text. If your daughter made an Amazon list or even searched they can track her back to you (esp if you ever emailed or sent to each other's address). I'm sure Alexa can also play a role in all this.
My mother-in-law is an Alexa user, is going through chemotherapy and has been talking to friends recently, both on the phone and when people visit, about getting a wig. After one of those conversations, she went onto Amazon and she had wigs in her Amazon Recommendations! Definitely Alexa/Big Brother out there these days....
Old 12-10-19, 08:50 PM  
hotncmom

We have one of those smart speakers (I think we have the Invoke) in our house and we had someone over and the conversation turned to doctors and we talked about how a lot of doctors aren't taking insurance and are starting concierge medical practices. The next day, I saw an ad for a concierge medical practice on Facebook. I have never googled this and wasn't even interested in it at all, it was just a conversation. I'm pretty sure it was the speaker picking up the conversation. It wasn't my phone (though I have seen the same thing happen when the phone is within earshot) because I didn't have it nearby.

It creeps me out but my DH really wants a "smart" home
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 08:59 PM  
CharM

Oh yeah, we have Google listening throughout our house, so it shouldn't surprise us when we say something about a product and then later when we're online there's a YouTube recommendation, or an ad for the product. They claim they're not listening... they lie. But we're well aware of it and choose to ignore it (and give up our privacy) because it's convenient. 1984 - coming to a home near you.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 10:04 PM  
Buzzer

I went to a Murphy Door booth at a home show. I had my phone on me, but didn't use it for anything. It just sat there in my pocket. For weeks afterward, I got suggestions for Murphy Doors on my Facebook and ads on the webpages I visited.

I then was talking to someone while I was on jury duty, and he worked for a marketing firm. He said they will set up a stadium or another venue as a "hot spot" and collect information from all the phones and start sending targeted marketing. He did a beer festival and collected all the data from everyone who entered. He said the only way to opt out is to shut off your phone or don't carry it with you.

I'm sure every other electronic device out there is also monitoring me at all times!!

I remember once, years ago, I worked for a company and everything we said in the break room about the company, within a week there would be a meeting or memo or something bringing up the issues we discussed in the lunch room. We decided the fake tree in the lunch room was bugged, so we'd always go "talk to the tree" whenever there was a problem. We also whispered a whole lot more!!

Now it's not just the tree in the lunch room, it's the phone in my pocket!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 10:46 PM  
SEV

Oh yes, they are listening! I was just surprised they are reading my text. It was not tied to any list or emails.

I do love my Amazon account, just wish it wasn't so intrusive. I don't have alexa, but my phone is always listening. But I do love being able to ask it questions
Old 12-10-19, 10:54 PM  
SEV

Wow, so many strange happenings
I guess it's the price we pay for convenience.

Tags
advertising, big brother, privacy, tracking