Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-18, 08:24 AM  
sciencelady

I got the second shot in the opposite arm a few weeks ago (also the flu shot) - no worse reaction with the second shot. It didn't seem like there was a shortage at the MinuteClinic. All of these shots ended up being free and fully covered by my insurance company. I'm relieved that my shingles risk is much decreased now.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-18, 08:46 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Am I the only one who doesn't do shots?

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-18, 09:39 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
I'm the same as you. I avoid them. I also never had the chicken pox so not sure I'm supposed to get the shingles shot even if I was so inclined.
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-18, 02:02 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

The last time I asked at Costco, they said they were only giving the second shot at the time.

Macska, I started a thread about flu shots last year. Many folks eschew vaccinations of any kind.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=221050

ETA: I would like to know if Tony Horton had the previous shingles vaccine prior to his debilitating shingles attack.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-18, 04:40 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
The last time I asked at Costco, they said they were only giving the second shot at the time.

Macska, I started a thread about flu shots last year. Many folks eschew vaccinations of any kind.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=221050

ETA: I would like to know if Tony Horton had the previous shingles vaccine prior to his debilitating shingles attack.
From what I read in a super-quick search, Ramsay Hunt only occurs if you've had chickenpox.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20351783

https://www.medicinenet.com/ramsay_h..._hunt_syndrome

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-18, 05:12 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
No
Old 09-12-18, 06:25 PM  
bjones

I usually do fine with vaccines but this one threw me for a loop! I've only had the first shot so far-terrible pain in my left deltoid muscle that spread to my entire shoulder-couldn't move it for 24 hours, then slowly got better over 5 days. The second problem was all over muscle stiffness and pain for 48 hours, like I had the flu, except for no fever or fatigue-just pain. The pharmacist told me people usually do fine with the first shot, its the 2nd shot that brings more side effects. Ughh... I can't imagine how bad I will feel after the 2nd one!

I got on the waiting list at Walmart for my first one and they called me in after only 2 weeks on the list. I'm now priority for the next batch because it has to be given in a certain time frame.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-18, 06:32 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

I had the first shot last month with no side effects except a slightly sore shoulder. It was way less than a tetanus shot. I figure I'll get the flu shot next, hopefully the extra duty one for old folks, then wait a month & get the second Shingrix vaccine. I've had all the pneumonia shots I can get.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-18, 11:27 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I inquired at my drs office today and they don’t have the shingrix vaccine in now. I was also curious and asked about the ‘old people’ flu shot and my dr said that the theory behind this shot is reasonable but there has not yet been significant evidence to support the idea that this shot is better. No study so far has shown it decreases hospital visits due to flu, decreases severity of flu or the risk of death from flu and that is kinda the point I think. In other words he believes it still needs to be proven that it even works before it’s given to everyone. Just an aside, since I’m not a candidate for it yet and neither is my DH.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 10:07 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
I don't either.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto-immune disorder, shingles, shingrix, vaccines, zostavax