Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-16, 12:17 PM  
DrSteph

I'm putting in another vote for KCM's boxing workouts, particularly Workout 1 from TLC and the all-boxing premix from Trim Down. Her 30 MTF Stepboxing is also an option -- there is a modifier doing the workout without a step, if that is an issue for you.

Steph
DrSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 12:22 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Lately, it's low-impact step aerobics with fairly simple choreography. I'm 5'2" so I only use a 4" step.

The workouts are mellow (sometimes I just zone out) and my body feels great afterward, but I'm still surprised by how sweaty I am at the end of the workout. Walking isn't as intense for me.

Most of the classic low-impact, simple step workouts date back to the 90's, meaning: To earn that sweaty t-shirt and exercise high each morning, I've had to build a high tolerance for thongs, headbands, mullets and pulse checks.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 12:34 PM  
Aunt Famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
Most of the classic low-impact, simple step workouts date back to the 90's, meaning: To earn that sweaty t-shirt and exercise high each morning, I've had to build a high tolerance for thongs, headbands, mullets and pulse checks.
To that end, Gilad's Step Aerobics is really good. And features a parrot in the background. What more do you want? Squawk!

Great suggestions, all. I have been low impacting my way to fitness recently through spin, boxing (KCM's TLC and Cardio Pump are great), step, Cathe's ICE, and her low impact HIIT offerings. I would also throw in a shout-out for Ellen's Barefoot Cardio, which is a nice low impact way to start a mellower day.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 07:56 PM  
Footballnut

Oh goodness! Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks so much everyone. I pulled out my Turbo Fire set this morning and modified big time, but my hip didn't like even the little bit of kicking I did. It will be interesting to see how it feels tomorrow. Got a really good sweat on, but I just have to be very careful with this kicking.
Old 08-04-16, 09:02 PM  
Chomper

If you can handle DIY workouts, one of my favorite low impact cardio workouts is to make a list of 10 low impact exercises I like and set my interval timer app to 10 intervals of 30:30 or 40:20, and do 1-4 rounds depending on how long I want it to be. I play my own music.

Equipment can include a step or high step, dumbbells or Kettlebell, sliders.

I do exercises like swings, skier swings, step ups on the high step, side lunges touching the ground, mountain climbers on sliders, animal movements. You can plug anything you like in there.

One of the reasons I go to the trouble to do my own is that there are so few truly low impact workouts on DVD, and I hate modifying them on my own. If I see them jumping, I want to jump too.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 04:26 AM  
dlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
If you can handle DIY workouts, one of my favorite low impact cardio workouts is to make a list of 10 low impact exercises I like and set my interval timer app to 10 intervals of 30:30 or 40:20, and do 1-4 rounds depending on how long I want it to be. I play my own music.

Equipment can include a step or high step, dumbbells or Kettlebell, sliders.

I do exercises like swings, skier swings, step ups on the high step, side lunges touching the ground, mountain climbers on sliders, animal movements. You can plug anything you like in there.

One of the reasons I go to the trouble to do my own is that there are so few truly low impact workouts on DVD, and I hate modifying them on my own. If I see them jumping, I want to jump too.
I like this idea - I may go thru some of my dvds & write down more moves (when I have time)

Deb
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 07:57 AM  
dmlarue1

Hi!
It's hard to find good low impact! I second the suggestions Of KCMs boxing, Cathe LIS, Cathe Low max if you can step, spinning..plus

Iliaria Power strikes, but you might have to watch the kicking if turbo jams are bothering you.

I like Hamelin's Cardiotones, they are like a walking workout with weighted arms, so they give you a arm workout and a good sweat. This is a free one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYvJxfW45sY

Charlene Prickett has a bunch of low impact DVDS.

Another thread mentioned Millonaire Hoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm4AIOmfZPg; which shows low impact options.

I also modify high impact dvds to low impact, because I find they move faster so it makes it more intense.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 08:10 AM  
PrairieGem

Can you do squats and lunges? IIRC, there's hardly any impact in Brazil Butt Lift "Bum Bum," if you have that--it's a 30-minute squat and lunge party hidden in fun (easy) choreography. It's tough but fun.

Do you have "Ten Days to a Better Body" with Cindy Whitmarsh? It's circuits, and for all the cardio she starts with the low-impact version of the move so you never have to figure out how to modify--she's already done it for you. I did this one a few times after spraining my ankle a couple years ago when I couldn't run.

And not a workout suggestion, but have you tried compression clothes? I have a cranky hip, and I think I'm starting to get mildly cranky knees, and I swear by my compression capris. I don't think I'd be able to run at all without them, and I started wearing them for walking when I had a problem with bursitis in my bad hip (walking is actually harder on the hips than running). The brand I wear is Underarmour Heat Gear, but when I went to look for a new pair recently couldn't find the same ones.
Old 08-05-16, 09:42 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlarue1 View Post
Hi!
It's hard to find good low impact! I second the suggestions Of KCMs boxing, Cathe LIS, Cathe Low max if you can step, spinning..plus

Iliaria Power strikes, but you might have to watch the kicking if turbo jams are bothering you.

I like Hamelin's Cardiotones, they are like a walking workout with weighted arms, so they give you a arm workout and a good sweat. This is a free one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYvJxfW45sY

Charlene Prickett has a bunch of low impact DVDS.

Another thread mentioned Millonaire Hoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm4AIOmfZPg; which shows low impact options.

I also modify high impact dvds to low impact, because I find they move faster so it makes it more intense.
This is why I love VF; I've never heard of Millionaire Hoy before so I checked out the youtube link. I really enjoyed the preview and will give this one a go later today. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 08-05-16, 10:51 AM  
Suzan66

I was going to suggest Hamelin's Cardio Tones.. I love all of them. There are several free classes on the HDM clips and Method Training1 You Tube Channels.
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animals in background, low impact, low impact cardio, low impact high intensity, natalie spadaccino, step without a step