Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-14, 07:30 PM  
Ayisha

High Intensity Low Impact Workouts

Hi All,

I'm looking for low impact, high intensity workouts. I have a treadmill and Cathe's low impact workouts but due to an injury I'm looking to minimize/avoid high impact going forth thus the need to expand my collection.

I love Cathe, Chalene and Body Pump workouts. I also love step, kickboxing, circuit training etc. I've been enjoying barre (Suzanne Bowen, P57) recently too. (A shock to me as back in the day I hated the original FIRM floor work) I haven't tried kettle bells but I came across some articles that indicated that these workouts may fall into this category.

Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated.
Ayisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 12:33 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Karen Voight has made some good low impact cardio workouts. Also some of Charlene Prickett's low impact cardio is on dvd. Don't remember exact titles, but pm me and I can look them up.
Old 10-11-14, 05:48 AM  
Demeris

I came on to recommend Charlene Prickett, but JaneP beat me to it. Tie One on, is one of the dvds. I also have a compilation of her tv shows, but I can't remember what she calls that one.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 06:17 AM  
Tugger31

Are you looking for just cardio workouts? If not, Iliara's Atletica is a full body workout that uses a dumbell for kettlebell-like moves and definitely gets your heart rate up with no jumping.

Also, any of Cathe's workouts from her Low Impact Series are worth a look. My fav is Athletic Training and Afterburn. (You don't need gliding discs for this series, very easy to modify, with the exception of Slide n Glide)
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 09:36 AM  
bubbles76

Aww Tugger you beat me to Atletica . I was just about to suggest it. I also believe most kickboxing workouts fit the bill, if you wear weighted gloves. Right now, I cannot think of any that don't input some jumping jacks or burpees, but you could always take that low impact and still get a good sweat going. Hmmm...maybe KCM first kickboxing workout?

ETA: Also, Paul Katami Burn and Build. Major sweatfest with that one! And I believe Tracey Staehle's Total Metabolic Conditioning shows a modifier doing low impact moves. I sweat a lot with that as well.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 10:01 AM  
Ayisha

I forgot about Charlene Prickett and Karen Voight. I'll have to dig through my VHS tapes and see if I still have anything by either of them. The other workouts that were mentioned sound really interesting. I'll check into them.
Thank you for your suggestions!
Ayisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 04:36 PM  
bfit

I add to the votes for Charlene Prickett. Her "Low Impact, High Intensity" workout is good. Also, "Oxygen In, Calories Out", "Get the Fat Off Cross Trainer", and "More Muscle, Less Fat". There are also DVDs containing collections of her low impact "It Figures" shows. Finally, Leslie Sansone workouts are not always easy. Her Burn Body Fat set is brisk and uses hand weights throughout the workout.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 04:54 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I also believe most kickboxing workouts fit the bill, if you wear weighted gloves. Right now, I cannot think of any that don't input some jumping jacks or burpees, but you could always take that low impact and still get a good sweat going.
Les Mills Combat doesn't throw in jacks and burpees. They *do* throw in the occasional jump-kick, but there's always a modifier, and the impact is a minute or two in the entire workout.

I don't do Ilaria's PowerStrikes very often, but I think of them as more authentic kickboxing, so probably they don't have jacks & burpees. (When was the last time a burpee was helpful to you in a fight? Get real. )

Shall I go there? ...I think I shall. Depending on the nature of your injury, a rebounder could be a wonderful boost to your home gym. You could do rebounder workouts, or freestyle, or use the rebounder to modify some of your high-impact workouts. There are LOTS of recent threads on rebounders.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 11:05 AM  
TinaS

Have you tried Tonique? I love these for high-intensity, low impact cardio!

"Don't be Defeated!" ~~ Cathe
"I know it's hard. But, do it. Please. ~~ Sylwia
"Nothing comes easy. It's always a fight. ~~ Cathe
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 09:05 AM  
samanthaeve

I second Tonique.
After so many years of punishing my joints, I discovered Tonique and was thrilled that I didnt have to give up the intensity I craved.
samanthaeve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high intensity low impact, low impact