Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-10, 10:25 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I like to do power heel digs (squatting down while putting one foot out in front to do a more agressive 'heel tap'): go low and fast. You can also add intensity by going up onto the toes and raising the arms on the upswing.

Also, doing a move where you squat down to touch the floor (or close to it), then stand up and raise up to 'touch the ceiling'.

You can also do many types of moves with gliding disks instead of impact: jumping jacks, switch lunges, etc.

What is a 'reptile'?

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 10:52 AM  
kbehymer

This one is a killer: it's a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu warm-up called a sit-out (can be done in place or traveling).

Demonstrated toward the end of this clip:
http://monkeybargym.com/bjj-workout-2.html

Scroll down to the "s" section for a demo:
http://monkeybargym.com/exercise-videos.html#S

Last edited by kbehymer; 12-16-10 at 10:53 AM. Reason: fix typo
kbehymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 11:20 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
The exercise that really gets my heart rate up is fast knee ups while twisting the opposite side of my upper body towards the knee I'm lifting. Hold your hands behind your head as if doing a crunch, and reach elbow to knee when twisting. I don't know why but this one makes my heartrate sky rocket, and it has no impact at all.
Me too. I also find some kickboxing moves to do the same for me, even when kept low impact. I'm thinking of hammer punches, etc.
Old 08-09-13, 03:21 PM  
thaispice

I just found this old thread and wanted to resurrect it, as I am in search of high intensity but low impact types of workouts as well. My knees cry when I do lunges of any kind (even backward lunges, which most consider to the kindest type), so any non-lunge based moves would be appreciated. In addition, please recommend DVDs (aside from the obvious Cathe LIS) which you have found to achieve high intensity without high impact.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by thaispice; 08-09-13 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added request for DVD suggestions
thaispice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 04:42 PM  
Sara1000

Step ups on a 10 - 14" box or step!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 07:10 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Also, doing a move where you squat down to touch the floor (or close to it), then stand up and raise up to 'touch the ceiling'.
This always does it for me--any sky/floor move where you change the "plane" of the move makes my HR *skyrocket!* (I can't do burpees fast enough for them to be high impact, so they totally count the way I do them. ) Squats where you touch the floor, low lunges, skaters/curtsey dips where you tap the floor with your opposite hand, squat-reach, those skipping lunge-knee-raise-one-arm-swung-high thingies (they're in Breathless Body) that I can never figure out how to do... all of those.

Also... if you have a flight of stairs in your house... I try to run stairs almost daily, and by the third floor my HR starts to elevate, and by the fifth I'm pretty winded.

(I know the OP asked for specific exercises, and then Thaispice asked for no lunges, but I'm going to mention that BBL "Bum Bum" is full of moves that kick up my HR like crazy without much impact. But it's also *very* lunge-happy, so not good if your knees or lower back are tweaky!)
Old 08-09-13, 08:10 PM  
rosepetals

Rebounding like the health bounce. Though it also depends on the brand of rebounder you have. A cheep rebounder can hurt.

On the bellicon many higher intensity bounces are low impact for me. It makes some of the impossible floor moves possible.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 08:14 PM  
holliholli915

I find that lateral touches are low impact yet high intensity. I've also started doing Bizzie Gold's XY workout 01 on YouTube which is a low impact HIIT workout and I LOVE it! I now incorporate it twice per week along with my usual stuff. Take a look at that video and I'm sure you'll get other ideas.
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 11:16 PM  
Scorpio6

This is a terrific thread! Thanks for posting!
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 07:58 AM  
Chomper

One of my favorites is an exercise Jeanette Jenkins has in Blast the Belly Fat. I think of it as a low impact squat thrust. Stand in a bit of a crouch, and put your right hand down on the floor while pushing your right leg back behind you, then do the same with the left side and you're in a plank, then you push your right foot back under you while lifting your right hand, then same on the left until you're standing again in a crouch. If my explanation is hard to follow, they show the exercise in the clip on Total Fitness.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low impact, low impact high intensity, low impact modifications, modifications