Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-14, 02:42 PM  
marmact

Wow, Penny, I'm sorry to hear this! I'm glad you were able to identify and resolve the problem so quickly, though. Hopefully you'll feel less (no!) pain over time.

Personally, I'd be wary of doing anything with any kind of impact until you've really had an opportunity to talk to the surgeon--and perhaps a physical therapist who has experience with this issue--to determine what's advised. I'm certain it must feel a little depressing to think about giving up certain kinds of workouts, but the trade-off will be worth it if you take care so that you can remain pain-free. Maybe try to recast the experience for yourself as an opening to new experiences rather than focusing on what you think you'll be giving up? I'm sure there's going to be loads of stuff you can do, and who knows? You might find you love creative low impact more than anything you've done to this point.

Anyway, hang in there.
Old 02-10-14, 06:09 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
Wow, Penny, I'm sorry to hear this! I'm glad you were able to identify and resolve the problem so quickly, though. Hopefully you'll feel less (no!) pain over time.

Personally, I'd be wary of doing anything with any kind of impact until you've really had an opportunity to talk to the surgeon--and perhaps a physical therapist who has experience with this issue--to determine what's advised.
Ditto all this, but being the stubborn PITA that I am, I'd be looking for a PT to tell me how I can do high impact again! I had a doctor MRI my knee a few years ago and tell me "no more high impact" but started running shortly after working with a PT. There are certainly cases where certain activities do become off-limits. I'm just so skeptical of being told that right away, especially at your age (I'm just a few years younger).

Anyway, you should definitely give yourself time to heal, work up slowly, and then see what happens.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 08:16 PM  
PLS

Thanks for all of the support, ideas and thoughts.

I work in PT and with a bunch of PT's. I will meet with the PT next Monday to discuss "what workouts I have been doing". I have not been much of a runner since High school, so we can't blame that, but I used to log 20,000 steps per day most days plus my workouts. The thing is I like variety- but I try to balance out-cardio, strength, balance, rebounding, core and everything else. I certainly can't do high impact anything daily, the rebounder never flared up my knee pain. But after using the jumpsport for a year, the UR seems really hard. Monday when I meet with the doctor I will have a list of all of my equipment and I will ask what I can and cannot use any more. I have never had any problem with knee instability so that is really not the issue, but of course I have been taking NOTHING but the stairs for a very long time. Today was a very slow day standing there waiting for the elevator.

Pratima- I found myself asking DH, Now what "EXACTLY" did the doctor say? Did he say that high impact was not OK for this week? Because obviously I was going to go for a run with stitches in my knee! He said, no he just wanted to know what kind of exercise I have been doing to cause that much arthritis in a person that young!

Ok, can I say that I have been complaining about the uneven yard for the past 4 years- projects and contractors have been tearing things up, I do all of the mowing, yard work, landscaping, Usually all of the shoveling and then if you add in all of the vacuuming, mopping etc....... I don't think ALL of the knee stuff can be blamed on "exercise" it is probably just an old injury that was ignored and has continued to be a problem over the past 30 years...

I wasn't knocking Low impact- I do it very often. My main complaint is the assumption that it is High impact that caused all of the problems. And actually being told you can't do something is usually the frustrating part, choosing to no longer do impact workouts on your own is much easier, but ultimately I would like to know what is doing the damage and eliminate it completely- even if that meant never mopping and vacuuming again ;-) I am realistic, I will do whatever it takes to maintain my knee health because I am at least 30 years away from knee replacement age.

Again Thanks for all of the Thoughts and Ideas.
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low impact, low impact cardio, meniscus tear, rebounder, slide board