I like real books too!!!
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 12:48 PM  
TinierTina

Virgins are Not in one Format Only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
You definitely aren't alone!

I don't mind doing YouTube workouts once in a while but I prefer my DVDs. On the bright side though, if they ever stop making DVDs, I'll finally be able to get around to doing ALL of my virgin workouts and all of the Cathe premixes that I've never done!
I've got virgin totally-to-offline downloads in video format. Thought not in audio (true to form, I'd gotten to those FIRST). If by "virgin" you mean, not worked-out-to.

All of them are previewed. Doing a "Joni O" does not exist in my behavioral lexicon, I've a measure of respect for the artist who creates the media ...
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 12:49 PM  
TinierTina

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
I like real books too!!!
Me, too. I've a bookcase problem ... such as too many books for my bookcases ... !
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 01:13 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I agree about wanting DVD workouts. I like knowing that I own it and can pop it in whenever I want. I don't care for streaming because it just seems too random to me and if you like a particular workout, you don't own it and might not be able to find it again. I like being able to revisit workouts whenever I want. I am a little nervous that everything seems to be moving to streaming and there will be less and less of a market for DVD workouts in the future.

Oddly, I feel the opposite about books and magazines. I only read e-books now and haven't bought a print book or magazine in years.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 02:10 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with everything everyone has said about streaming. I can see why some people like it--if you want a totally different workout everyday, have fast internet and don't want the clutter of a possession, streaming makes sense.

But for me, I'd much prefer a DVD. I just don't see streaming as a good value at all. It feels like throwing my money away. When P57 puts out a new workout, I try it and view it like a Starbucks latte--a treat indulgence. But certainly not something I'd do with any regularity (esp. at their prices.)

Lately I've been taking more live classes in my area, certainly more expensive, but the live class environment and instructor interaction/form tweaks and challenges are worth it to me. If I'm going to spend money on something that doesn't last, that's what I want and streaming doesn't provide that.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 02:17 PM  
bzbnmom

I love having my DVDs. They're right there, easy to find, and they're not going to get lost.

I also like having CDs to upload to iTunes, and paper books and magazines to read. We check out DVDs from our library system. We don't have a smartTV (is that what they're called?) or smart phone (cell phone service is unreliable at my house). I used to love taking film photos and getting prints, now I have way too many digital files and don't know when I'll ever get to them.

On the other hand, I'd looove to have less stuff. Much less stuff. So maybe someday I'll go that route. Just not yet.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 02:31 PM  
PhyllisG

I am with you Scorpio and all the others who feel the same way. Just what I need monthly subscription charges to my credit card. Also I want to repeat my workouts. I don't want to have to choose a workout from a myriad of them. I want to see how I progress and master the workout....increase the weight, do more reps etc. Streaming is not for me. I can almost see it as a scam. You just keep paying over and over again and if you have multiple subscriptions I can only imagine the cost. How many subscribe and rarely use the channel? Plus no selling, trading. You cannot recoup your losses. I honestly cannot see the benefits of streaming unless you want so many choices and I don't.

Last edited by PhyllisG; 09-22-14 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Typo
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 02:36 PM  
PennyK

Me and hubby actually miss going to the video store to rent movies.
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 02:39 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm dipping my toe into the non-DVD market. There are different ways you can go with downloaded workouts and/or non-pay streaming workouts on YouTube and other sites. I also look forward to trying free trials of some of those streaming sites I don't intend to sign up for. Yet, at least.

Note that none of this means that I'm giving up my DVDs. I'm just hoping to slow down the number I buy by supplementing with a variety of free online workouts.

But then, I live in the Washington, DC metro area. We have no problem with Internet speeds here. At least, I don't - yet. (Knock on wood!)

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 02:45 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
Me and hubby actually miss going to the video store to rent movies.
I used to love going to Blockbuster to rent movies. Now I hardly ever watch anything. I was at the library the other week and saw a movie there that I had wanted to see when it came out at the theater. I checked it out for free and we watched it.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote