Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-14, 10:57 AM  
Scorpio6

Video market is losing me

Don't know if anybody else feels this way.

I notice that workout videos are going more and more the way of online, streaming, downloads -- where if you want to actually save it you have to go through a time consuming bunch of malarkey to use up gobs of computer space, convert and save and burn to your own dvd. If I have to put that much work into something I don't want to pay for it.

I like having a physical product to hold, to keep for years, when I buy a video. I love my collection. There are so many stupid things that can go wrong with downloads, glitches, good luck ever getting your money back or satisfaction with a digital product. And then there's the business of your credit card getting billed month after month, for a "subscription", which in my opinion is just a sophisticated scam since you don't get actual physical product. It's a lazy way for a marketer to get your money without doing much for it, the way I see it.

So I can see myself using the dvds I've got, getting an occasional new one, and using paper workouts, but not really participating in the online and streaming money-sink that's trending now.

Just thought I would put this out there in case I'm not alone.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 11:03 AM  
Donna D

[QUOTE=Scorpio6;2450879]Don't know if anybody else feels this way.

Just thought I would put this out there in case I'm not alone. [/QUOTE]

You are not alone!!!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 11:04 AM  
Irisg1

It's actually the opposite for me. I've grown soo used to having variety now, that I rarely ever repeat a workout. I still have some dvd's, but haven't made a purchase in a while now.
Old 09-22-14, 11:07 AM  
primrosecat

Opinion

I agree 100%. I don't want the hassle. I'll probably never use streaming, etc.
In seconds I can pop in a dvd and go. They are physical, something I can look at when deciding what I want to do, and I feel that in many ways dvds are much superior to downloads, streaming and so on. But on the other hand that is just my opinion, based on my age, capabilities, etc. And I understand that for others, streaming, download and whatever work much better for them
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 11:09 AM  
LoveVA

I have no interest in streaming, downloading, playing through my computer and TV, blah blah blah. I'm not even interested in paper workouts.

I'm not a technophobe. I just want the *^%& physical DVD. I read an article somewhere (can't remember where) that mentioned that workout DVD sales are on the decline. That makes me nervous. I have a feeling that, at some point, I will just have to use the DVDs that I do have if the market largely goes away. I don't think the demise of the DVD market is imminent, but it will happen at some point.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 11:10 AM  
mtnmom

I'm right there with you. I'm not tech-savvy, so won't attempt to burn to my own disk. I hate the subscription aspect as well.

I really don't mind repeating workouts. I know what's coming, how much weight to use, if I need to modify a move, etc. And I can see my progress!
Old 09-22-14, 11:11 AM  
SpiritYogi

I'm with you, Scorpio!!
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 11:12 AM  
PennyK

I do!!! I feel the exact same way about streaming and downloads!!! I want videos!!!
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 11:33 AM  
Demeris

In addition to liking my physical dvd collection, I live in the middle of nowhere and have satellite internet. I pay mightily for every GB I use. Streaming eats up GBs the way Godzilla eats New York. Downloading, the same thing. I can't afford them and continue to eat food and wear clothing.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 11:41 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisg1 View Post
It's actually the opposite for me. I've grown soo used to having variety now, that I rarely ever repeat a workout. I still have some dvd's, but haven't made a purchase in a while now.
Iris, I'm with you. I love the digital format whether from streaming or from downloads. I love the variety of the different streaming channels. I still buy DVDs although not as many as I use to. There just aren't that many new DVD releases that interest me. (some Beach Body sets may be the only exception). I'm trying to declutter my DVD collection since I don't use most of them anymore.