Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-14, 04:55 PM  
upperwside

suspension trainer.. why did i wait so long?!!

Just got one last week and my how I love it. One leg squats and a hack like squats.. seems to hit my qlutes better than anything.. well barbell hip thrusters too. Love doing laying pull ups on it and core work too! Hits my muscles in new ways! Wish I got one years ago!! Any one else use one and love it.. and great moves to share?
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 05:37 PM  
bk1

I took a class with a suspension trainer a couple of years ago. A lot of moves I had my body at an angle and did bicep curls, push ups, lat pulls, cursy lunges, etc. The man who trained me used a book but I never got the name of the book.
bk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 06:39 PM  
upperwside

I will look on Amazon.. thanks!
Old 09-11-14, 08:01 PM  
momof10

Studio Sweat on Demand is a streaming site that has Spinning and TRX classes and non bike workouts. There aren't a whole lot of TRX classes, but enough to get a good variety. There is also an app you can get through Virtual Training that has lots do suspension exercises and you can make up your own segments by picking and choosing the exercises, how long of a rest and how many sets of each. It will show you how long the workout will be. There is a guy who demonstrates the move while you are doing it. I do enjoy the app and I just play my own music. As for SSOD, they have awesome music, so you wouldn't have to play your own. The majority of their classes are TRX/cardio or TRX/core. They do have a couple of TRX/Spinning ones, too. You can get 10 days for free to try their streaming classes, but they only allow you to view and do about 10% of what they actually have to offer. HTH

Cheryl
Old 09-11-14, 09:04 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
Just got one last week and my how I love it. One leg squats and a hack like squats.. seems to hit my qlutes better than anything.. well barbell hip thrusters too. Love doing laying pull ups on it and core work too! Hits my muscles in new ways! Wish I got one years ago!! Any one else use one and love it.. and great moves to share?
I totally agree on that!!

Here is a video for legs & glutes I like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxO_qXOtdeU maybe it could give you some more ideas.

She also has other TRX workouts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMfZi...bV6tm0kDt7gTFN

HTH

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 07:09 AM  
upperwside

Thank you momof10 and assweetassugar! Excellent info!!
Old 09-22-14, 06:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
which brand & model did you end up purchasing? and what other brands were you considering?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 07:23 PM  
Yelly

Does anyone know if there are any yoga or pilates classes that use a suspension trainer? (Is there even such a thing??)

I've been wanting one forever to use with my StudioSweat subscription. I'm pretty sure the one I've decided on is the JungleGym XT, since the handles look like they'd be easier to use than the TRX. I'm just going by a few youtube reviews though, so I'm not sure if that's true or not.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 07:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
Does anyone know if there are any yoga or pilates classes that use a suspension trainer? (Is there even such a thing??)

I've been wanting one forever to use with my StudioSweat subscription. I'm pretty sure the one I've decided on is the JungleGym XT, since the handles look like they'd be easier to use than the TRX. I'm just going by a few youtube reviews though, so I'm not sure if that's true or not.
someone here on VF uses ropes to do yoga (her VF name is Cinza). i'd bet the suspension trainer could be used in a similar fashion.

I too was eyeing the Jungle Gym XT. were you referring to the one that has hard plastic handles, or the one that doesn't?

for anyone else - which brand provides the best videos, and can most of the suspension trainers be used for other brands' videos? for example, people have said the Rip:60 videos were pretty good.

i also know there's lots of youtube videos.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 07:39 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
someone here on VF uses ropes to do yoga (her VF name is Cinza). i'd bet the suspension trainer could be used in a similar fashion.

I too was eyeing the Jungle Gym XT. were you referring to the one that has hard plastic handles, or the one that doesn't?
Yes - I believe the one I have in mind has the hard plastic handles. It just seems like it would be easier to get your foot in for some moves. If there's anyone out there who actually has both, I would love to hear your thoughts between the two!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote