Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-14, 05:41 AM  
bearcatfan

And what happens when the cable goes out?

Even though my cable provider is pretty reliable, it is a small emergency here when we lose the internet. That's why, even though teachers like to say all the textbooks are online, I have my kids bring their books home.

I'm still a Luddite at heart, I guess.
Old 09-23-14, 05:45 AM  
pcdoctor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I don't want to pay for subscriptions. Most probably multiply subscriptions.
Me either. Plus if I don't like the DVD I can resell it. I can't resell a monthly or yearly subscription.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 05:50 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I want to stream free YT content, thanks to the VF thread that has all the links. I also buy downloads and stream those as well.
Regarding books, I have gone e-books all the way. My Kindle is one of the best gadget purchases ever. I can make the fonts as big as I want them to be without requiring a magnifying glass . Yes, I am old .

However, I have not subscribed to any streaming sites yet. I have commitment issues.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 06:01 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I like my DVDs personally, although my collection does continue to shrink. I still have a few VHS but those are dwindling too, only because I just don't need as much anymore in the way of workouts.

I will admit I do like Jessica Smith's You Tube channel but when it comes to streaming, downloads, etc. that's as far as I have gone with it. I am not sure I would be willing to pay for monthly subscriptions or anything like that.

But, to each their own, lots of options for everyone.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 06:27 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post
Regarding books, I have gone e-books all the way. My Kindle is one of the best gadget purchases ever. I can make the fonts as big as I want them to be without requiring a magnifying glass . Yes, I am old .
I am Kindle all the way too! My favorite thing is that I can read a book, finish it, and the next one in the series, or another one by that author, is available instantly with a click. So much fun! No more driving to the bookstore in search of the next book.

I'm so old that I make the font bigger AND STILL wear my reading glasses!
Old 09-23-14, 08:42 AM  
dela

I made a very recent and quick switch from doing DVD's exclusively to paper workouts, and I am really enjoying the change.

I am dealing with a shoulder problem and have to limit a lot of upper moves, so I am taking advantage of my new found appreciation for paper workouts to design good workouts that work around my issue. It kind of depresses me when I'm doing a dvd and find too many moves I just can't do. But I am still doing some selective dvds. Right now, between the shoulder, and how much I like the paper workouts, there just is no point in buying much else or looking at streaming.

I do think one day I will try streaming, and aside from just not having any need it for it right now, I'm just not set up properly for it, have no desire to get set up for it right now, and lately Youtube is always freezing on me, and that would be awful to be doing a workout that keeps freezing up.

I have a feeling as I cycle through what I like and don't like, I probably have a ton of dvds that will be a lot of fun to revisit in the future. And I am looking forward to when my shoulder heals to do all my favorite kettlebell and sandbag workouts again (that is kind of killing me right now, and I'm still coming to terms with it).
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 08:47 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee1forfitness View Post
Sometimes Change it hard
For me it has nothing to do with the difficulty of "change". Change happens in life whether you want it to or not. I'm also not a technophobe. Technology consists of tools, and I choose what works best for me out of all that is available. The workouts that I do are not currently available via streaming, and even if they were, if doesn't suit me to depend on my computer and internet service that isn't 100% reliable. Last night I was streaming a baseball game and it kept getting interrupted by glitches in the service. It was annoying, but not as much as it would have been if I'd been in the middle of a workout.

There are all kinds of options out there. The best choice for me now is DVD. Ask me in 5 years and my answer might be totally different. Maybe my internet provider will get it together by then.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 09:09 AM  
Cowgirl32

-sigh- times are changing....
Old 09-23-14, 09:18 AM  
twinkletoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I'm good with having enough DVDs to last me a long, long, long time. What I worry about is when they stop making DVD players.
I was thinking the same thing! It hurts my heart to think it could happen.
Old 09-23-14, 09:22 AM  
mle777

Part of my issue with streaming/downloads is that my alarm goes off at 5:15am. I turn on the tv, turn on the dvd player (I put the dvd in the night before), make a quick restroom run, and I'm working out by 5:20am (I sleep in my workout clothes). So I have five minutes from the time I get up to the time I start working out. I'm not sure if during that five minutes I could start my computer, run to the restroom, and pull up whatever workout that I want to do (and not be tempted to check email or something else "real quick"). My time is very valuable in the mornings. I don't want to wake up earlier and I don't want to sacrifice any of my workout time either. That's why, for now, I'm sticking to dvds

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote