Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-14, 02:19 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

I'm currently on a Hamelin kick. Yes, he is an acquired taste and some of his videos are extremely expensive and you see some of his moves in other workouts. But for me, there is something therapeutic about his workouts and I don't get the dread factor that I do with other instructors. I do think this 10 class series is one of his best buys. I like seeing him instruct in a regular class setting. I'm so glad to have purchased this series during his pre-sale in early August. It was only 75GBP which ended up being just under $130 USD. $13 a workout is a great price for HDM.

Rebecca, perhaps you can ask Nina for a special VF discount price on this series...something better than the 99GBP price.

fuzzie, as you know I tried getting into TA meta and continuity workouts but just couldn't. However, I do love her first 2 DVDs (Mat and Post Preg).

ETA: Rebecca, this is me...instant gratification. Right now, I'm anxiously awaiting the download for the 4th class which should come any time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCatrina View Post

One thing I love about HDM is that everything is download-based. Instant gratification!!
Old 09-22-14, 06:44 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey211 View Post
I'm currently on a Hamelin kick. Yes, he is an acquired taste and some of his videos are extremely expensive and you see some of his moves in other workouts. But for me, there is something therapeutic about his workouts and I don't get the dread factor that I do with other instructors. I do think this 10 class series is one of his best buys. I like seeing him instruct in a regular class setting. I'm so glad to have purchased this series during his pre-sale in early August. It was only 75GBP which ended up being just under $130 USD. $13 a workout is a great price for HDM.

Rebecca, perhaps you can ask Nina for a special VF discount price on this series...something better than the 99GBP price.

fuzzie, as you know I tried getting into TA meta and continuity workouts but just couldn't. However, I do love her first 2 DVDs (Mat and Post Preg).

ETA: Rebecca, this is me...instant gratification. Right now, I'm anxiously awaiting the download for the 4th class which should come any time now.
I'm pretty much obsessed! I love every sweaty and painful minute of it

I hope he releases more series like this - The more HDM workouts, the merrier!!

I did ask him for a discount for the matics not too long ago and the negative remarks were too many. Yes, HDM is expensive, even more because of the exchange rate. I pay every penny gladly because I'm getting great results, and like you mention, my aches and pains are less and less the more I do them.

I was unable to clasp my hands behind my back, forget about leaning forward with my hands clasped and arms straight up. I can do those things easily now. My super tight shoulders are open and more limber, and I have less discomfort when I spend several hours working on the computer.

Did you see the latest his latest custom client results on FB? That's after ONE WEEK!!!!
Old 09-22-14, 06:48 PM  
deineira

I'm with kelsey211. I am totally snookered by HDM and these workouts have zero dread factor for me too. I've only felt this way about the ART Method, which I did for almost a year with very little break. HDM workouts just make me happy, and I can almost always do them, even on days when I just don't want to workout. For me, this is huge.

I agree these are not for everyone. They're expensive, he does not really cue that much, and they are obviously DIY. However, none of this is a deterrent for me and somehow I feel like these workouts are worth every penny.

Like the ART method, I find Hamelin's method to really be an excellent method for the mind/body connection that exercise can bring. I think this is what makes them so blissful for me.

I know folks are a little daunted by the price points he charges, but he does provide free content on Vimeo and YouTube for those who can't or don't want to pay his prices. Not all instructors are as generous as he is to share full-length workouts for free.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 07:01 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCatrina View Post
I'm pretty much obsessed! I love every sweaty and painful minute of it

I hope he releases more series like this - The more HDM workouts, the merrier!!

Did you see the latest his latest custom client results on FB? That's after ONE WEEK!!!!
Yes, I did see those custom pictures--awesome! I was so tempted to do the custom but you know me....too shy to send him pictures. But before I leave my current location tomorrow, I will have my daughters take some "before" pictures (for my private use). When I get home, I will do my own intensive rotation with HDM and with my Bellicon.

I do hope he does more class series. Did you read what he wrote about class #4...that he was so sore, he could hardly walk. He said the class is "hard core barre work and deep lower abdominal work".
Old 09-22-14, 08:43 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
I'm with kelsey211. I am totally snookered by HDM and these workouts have zero dread factor for me too. I've only felt this way about the ART Method, which I did for almost a year with very little break. HDM workouts just make me happy, and I can almost always do them, even on days when I just don't want to workout. For me, this is huge.

I agree these are not for everyone. They're expensive, he does not really cue that much, and they are obviously DIY. However, none of this is a deterrent for me and somehow I feel like these workouts are worth every penny.

Like the ART method, I find Hamelin's method to really be an excellent method for the mind/body connection that exercise can bring. I think this is what makes them so blissful for me.

I know folks are a little daunted by the price points he charges, but he does provide free content on Vimeo and YouTube for those who can't or don't want to pay his prices. Not all instructors are as generous as he is to share full-length workouts for free.
Eva!! That's exactly how I feel. HDM did for me what yoga couldn't That inner peace and connection are finally happening for me it's so exciting!!

Terri makes amazing workouts too, and her method is solid. Back then I wished the aesthetic results were there for me. I guess in my case any amount of moderately heavy anything is going to make me feel bloated and ravenous

I'll add that his free material isn't a light or watered down version of his paid material - I keep going back to some of those workouts because they're every bit as good and addictive as all the other ones I have that I've paid for.

I guess with exercise is always a matter of trial and error, as the very thing that might be wonderful for one person might not be as good for another. When I think about it, when I tried Insanity I felt like eating a burger made with a whole cow, and now I do a full hour of hi-lo cardio and my appetite is in check.
Old 09-22-14, 08:51 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey211 View Post
Yes, I did see those custom pictures--awesome! I was so tempted to do the custom but you know me....too shy to send him pictures. But before I leave my current location tomorrow, I will have my daughters take some "before" pictures (for my private use). When I get home, I will do my own intensive rotation with HDM and with my Bellicon.

I do hope he does more class series. Did you read what he wrote about class #4...that he was so sore, he could hardly walk. He said the class is "hard core barre work and deep lower abdominal work".
I know But still take the pictures!! Even if you and only you sees them, the motivation you're going to get is going to be amazing. That's what I tell people no matter which workout they're doing - take pictures!!!

The scale or the measuring tape aren't going to tell you all the story. There are weeks when I don't lose any weight or inches, and yet my body is firmer and my skin tone gets better bit by bit.

What will you do as an intensive? One of the classes for a week with cardio? I saw a whoosh in my weight and measurements doing something along those lines while I was waiting for my latest custom

Let them know you're loving the classes. I think that's a good way to let them know they're developing a good audience for them so Hamelin keeps making more. I did email him this morning to let him know that my backside is on the fritz

ETA - If Hamelin says he's "so sore" then I'm very, very afraid right now
Old 09-23-14, 10:10 PM  
olala

I bought this course because I liked the clip and the price is not that bad, and I do think HDM works.
I did workout #4 and absolutely LOVED it. Burned my quads and low abs.
This was my third workout for today but I can tell this is advanced level, new fresh moves, I like this better than Matics.
olala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-14, 07:27 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I like his workouts, but I just don't get working out in front of a mirror and making us look at the backs and butts of the background exercisers. Or, I guess that would be foreground exercisers. Show me everyone's smiling faces instead of placing one camera in the corner and giving me a strange view of various portions of bodies.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-14, 08:28 AM  
PennyK

These sound so wonderful, i enjoy reading everyone's comments!!! I just wish i could afford his stuff!!!
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-14, 09:14 AM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I like his workouts, but I just don't get working out in front of a mirror and making us look at the backs and butts of the background exercisers. Or, I guess that would be foreground exercisers. Show me everyone's smiling faces instead of placing one camera in the corner and giving me a strange view of various portions of bodies.
While I've never been in that space physically, I can tell you that's the only place where you can put a camera so someone can see and do the workout. If you've seen Terri Walsh's subscription workouts, that's the same setup she uses. The difference is, that's her studio, so she has the camera installed and fixed in the roof, in a corner. So you have the same view, Terri facing front and all the class from the back.

I have piles upon piles of workouts with high production values, smiling faces, fake eyelashes, people with breast implants and fake tans, beautiful scenery, etc, etc, and NONE of them have given me the results I've got while doing this. I don't care about the background and the "sunny, outside pretty background" as I live right in front of the ocean and all I have to do is open the window to see the palm trees, the sun and the beach, year-round. That yoga workout with Ali McGraw comes to mind. I watched it once and I think it's the most beautiful thing... Herb Ritts could have directed it, it's mind blowing in the artistry of the images and the voice of Erich Schiffmann is entrancing but... in terms of results for me is a zero because I haven't done it... not even once

Tags
10 week course, hamelin d'abell, hdm, terri walsh, toning