Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-21, 04:19 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Workout recommendation

Hi, all! I'm looking for a new workout that combines some cardio with weights. I would like to keep the workout in the 30-45 minutes. I tried Jessica Smith and KCM and HATED the strength workouts. I discovered that, apparently, I don't like "fancy" moves. I'm looking for more of "The Firm Classic volume 1" style with straight up, uncomplicated (old fashion) strength training moves instead of "creative" moves.

I am getting burnt out from the Firm classics. I am just at that place in my life where I don't really want to kill myself working out anymore. Having to work out for an hour at a time with tough workouts is creating a dread factor.

I also hate dance moves for cardio and am looking for low to moderate impact. I like marching and am fine with taps, hamstring curls, skaters, jumping jacks. So, no cardio that includes dancing, complicated, or high impact moves. I want to avoid step aerobics because of my knees.

I just ordered the Jane Fonda Prime Time DVDs but I am thinking they may be too easy. Is there something in the middle? Any workouts geared for the intermediate middle aged/fit senior? Any ideas please?
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-21, 04:38 PM  
bubbles76

How about Strong Body Fit Body with Erin O'Brian? There are some jumps and lunge hops but you can easily sub hamstring curls. I also really like the Circuit workout she did with Kristy Yamaguchi.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-21, 05:10 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Thank you, Bubbles76! I just bought it per your recommendation. I’m on a workout dvd buying kick right now (I am sure some of you can relate...haha!!). So, I am up for any and all suggestions!!!!
Old 03-25-21, 05:54 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

What about JNL Fusion? Her workouts consist of 30 seconds of a weight move immediately followed by 30 seconds of a cardio move. You do the set 3 times and that's the end of that block. There are usually 5 or 6 blocks in a workout, and each workout focuses on a specific body part. There are modified options for the cardio. Each workout is 30 minutes.

I'm pretty sure this set can be found for fairly cheap on Ebay or Amazon nowadays. There are tons of threads here about it if you want to read some VFer opinions. I would suggest a tag search since the search function here has been kinda iffy lately

ETA: The cardio moves are all straightforward drill type moves. No fancy dancing or anything
Old 03-25-21, 05:54 PM  
Tugger31

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Jar...e-DVD-p/32.htm

This workout has a low impact modifier and is pretty straightforward. It's longer than you asked for, but can be broken up.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-21, 06:05 PM  
sillygirl

I tend to think of Leslie when referring to uncomplicated moves. Have you looked into some of her DVDs or would she be too easy? The Tone Every Zone Walk has an upper body and lower body circuit that totals 40 minutes.

Also, Results Fitness - 10 Days to a Better Body (with Cindy Whitmarsh) switches between strength and cardio with a 30-minute upper body workout and a 30-minute lower body workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
I’m on a workout dvd buying kick right now (I am sure some of you can relate...haha!!).
Yes, to this and so much that I'm considering not renewing some of my streaming subscriptions this year.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-21, 06:18 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Zraipel- I forgot to mention I also dislike boxing, kick boxing, martial arts moves....argh. I know, I know...sorry!

Tugger31- Thanks but I don't want to do any workout that burns 1000 calories! OMG. I would die!!

Sillygirl- I'm not a huge fan of Leslie but respect her and appreciate all she has done. I'm also looking for a total body workout not a split.

I'm sorry, everyone! I know I am probably looking for a unicorn!!!

Someone could make a lot of money offering workouts for the middle aged/fit senior who wants a good workout without killing themselves! Seriously! Any takers!!!!

I just bought the new Jenny Ford download/DVD sets as well. Hoping to rotate these with some total body strength-cardio workouts (mostly strength). I wish there was like a 30 minute Firm workout that went easy on the lunges, squats and push ups and incorporated more balance and flexibility. Ahhh, one can dream......
Old 03-25-21, 06:47 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
Zraipel- I forgot to mention I also dislike boxing, kick boxing, martial arts moves....argh. I know, I know...sorry!
There's not really any of those moves in JNL Fusion. Here's a link to her full Ballistic Backside workout on YouTube: https://youtu.be/MOA6uyL0DFE
Old 03-25-21, 07:02 PM  
alisoncooks

I like very straightforward weight workouts. Here's one from Jenny Ford:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ChDbZR...dex=12&t=1341s

I also like Cardio Pump (KCM) -- it has just plain weightlifting. In general, KCM's moves don't agree with me but this one works.

Also, The Firm's Super Bodysculpt is very straightforward. I'm sure it can be modified, if you don't have a Fanny Lifter. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ95y-..._b2N1Q&index=2
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-21, 07:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

These are all older and are just straight weight lifting but since you have done Firm I guess you wouldn't mind.
  • 10 minute solution target toning Cindy whitmarsh?
  • Also how do you deal with Tony Horton? His Power half hour total collection might be ight up your alley if you would like splits for some variety.
  • Did you ever try Kathy Smiths Lift weights to lose weight?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio with weights