Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-21, 05:23 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I've been coloring my hair for about 15 years now. I'm 47, so I'm dealing with gray and some recent hair loss.

My natural color is dark brown, so I've noticed that I can't go more than two color shades either way (darker or lighter) without some real problems.

I've used numerous brands through the years, and my current combo is what has worked for the last 5 years:
-- I color my scalp and roots with Clairol Natural Instincts 6A Light Ash Brown. I've learned the hard way that my hair "pulls" red, so I have to stick with browns that are "cool" or "ash" not anything "golden" or "honey". This is a semi-permanent color, so it's good for about 4-6 weeks before it's noticeably fading.
-- I add highlights by using Clairol's Frost and Tip -- yep, the old pull throughs with the cap. I only pull through about 30 strands using the small side of the puller and I only use the face frame options on the cap. I leave it on for a full hour. Anything less than an hour and it could be yellowish orange. I have learned this the hard way!
-- To maintain the color, I use Joico Blue Conditioner so it doesn't start to look brassy or orangish. I also use John Frieda Shampoo and Cond for Brunettes.

I think I've saved thousands of dollars by not going to a salon over these years. (But I've think I've sunk it into workout DVDs!)
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 06:01 PM  
laurajhawk

I adore Overtone coloring conditioner. My natural color is dark brown with plenty of gray, so I can choose a natural color like dark brown or black, *or* I can use crazy colors (purple is my favorite) and they're mostly visible just on the gray. I don't bleach; my hair is thin and doesn't take that well. Since I'm home all the time now, I probably wouldn't color, but Overtone makes my hair better (longer, thicker, healthier) so I don't want to stop; it's fun to try the different colors. It's really easy to use too.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 08:51 PM  
Daffie

Thank you for all the additional responses and advice!
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 10:07 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I adore Overtone coloring conditioner. My natural color is dark brown with plenty of gray, so I can choose a natural color like dark brown or black, *or* I can use crazy colors (purple is my favorite) and they're mostly visible just on the gray. I don't bleach; my hair is thin and doesn't take that well. Since I'm home all the time now, I probably wouldn't color, but Overtone makes my hair better (longer, thicker, healthier) so I don't want to stop; it's fun to try the different colors. It's really easy to use too.
Does the Overtone stain at all? Sometimes I think I'd like to play with this sort of thing, but don't want to get stuck with something that won't go away. (I wear my hair quite long ... . )
Old 02-27-21, 10:01 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Does the Overtone stain at all? Sometimes I think I'd like to play with this sort of thing, but don't want to get stuck with something that won't go away. (I wear my hair quite long ... . )
Overtone is semipermanent; it wears off my long hair eventually. Of all the colors I've tried, only black stains the shower floor or my hands enough to last to the next shower, but it does wash off if you work at it.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 11:00 AM  
Fitstick

I would be careful with the hair color you buy from the store. For years my hair was frizzy and dry. At the time I did not understand why. I even had some highlights professionally applied and immediately afterwards the hair felt like straw. I have been growing out my hair for the past year and can’t believe how soft it is. So I would say to choose the product carefully because a lot of the home coloring kits are very harsh.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 11:18 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Lori_Michigan so how does the John Frieda work? Is it a sort of "touch up," would it affect the salon color I get every seven weeks?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 11:32 AM  
red1013

I've colored my own hair for years. I'm a natural redhead (with plenty of grey now), so I color fairly close to my natural color, it's just a bit brighter.

I use Clairol Nice'n Easy (6R Light Auburn), 20 minutes on the roots then work though rest of hair for 5 minutes. Then 3 weeks later I use Clairol Root Touch-Up in the same shade just on the roots. Then repeat in another 3 weeks.

I find it fairly easy, not too messy, and home coloring hasn't dried out my hair.
Old 02-27-21, 11:33 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Lori_Michigan so how does the John Frieda work? Is it a sort of "touch up," would it affect the salon color I get every seven weeks?
Hmmm, not sure really. It keeps my brown hair color more natural looking for a longer time than other shampoos I've tried. It keeps it from turning brassy but I'm quite sure how exactly it does that!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 01:52 PM  
ellaenchanted

I use Madison Reed in the light cool brown shade (I belive it is Veneto Brown). But, I only do it once per year ove rthe late fall/winter to tone any highlights/lowlights and blend some grays until I get professional color again in spring. I find that subtle, targeted highlights blend greys into the rest of your hair color better than all over color and grow out better.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair, hair coloring, hair dye