Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-20, 04:06 PM  
Fitstick

Fitness video trend?

Has anyone noticed that a lot of workouts posted on YouTube have music but the instructor is not talking to you or cuing by talk? It’s just music and hand signals. I haven’t tried any of these type of workouts because I like to hear the instructor talk. I don’t even care for the voiceovers. It’s more motivating for me to have the instructor talking to me/the audience. Anyone get into these type of workouts? Maybe I haven’t given it a fair chance.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-20, 04:22 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love them, especially if the music is good. I’ve done a lot of walking workouts with non verbal cues and for a workout that has basic choreo I prefer it. But I don’t care for chatty instructors in general TBH.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-20, 04:34 PM  
fanofladyvols

I have noticed many of them are this way.

I have tried to do them but I really have only liked one that I have tried. I am finding I generally don't like them. I usually don't like the music either. I can see the appeal for a simple workout.

Some of them have really obnoxious buzzers, bells, or airhorn type sound to signal a change.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-20, 04:39 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I like them too. Frequently I watch something on TV while doing a workout on youtube especially if it is a strength based routine like Caroline’s Epic workouts. All you really need for strength is to see the move and listen for the beep. We all already know correct form from Cathe etc.

I also really like Cardio Party Mashup which is dance based and she largely cues by doing and uses words on the screen to tell you the upcoming move like squat thrusts and how many reps to do. This really allows you to just listen and move to the music. Her live classes are normal with her cuing but a lot of her other workouts don’t have a lot of talking.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-20, 04:47 PM  
prettyinpink

I don’t mind for Zumba or other dance, where I need the visual to follow along and do the workout.

But otherwise, no, I want to hear. When I work out to a video, I don’t watch the screen the entire time. I listen and focus on my own movement. Instructors like Tracy Anderson drove me crazy; I don’t want to have to constantly watch someone else to work out.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-20, 09:11 PM  
sillygirl

I think music-only workouts are good for cardio moves that don't require precise form. I like instructors to give form-pointers for strength and toning exercises and to remind me to "keep my shoulders down". Otherwise it feels like I'm just watching someone else working out to good (or bad) music. IMHO, it doesn't take much effort from the instructor in this type of video workout trend.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-20, 10:23 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
IMHO, it doesn't take much effort from the instructor in this type of video workout trend.
I agree...if you think about it from the trainer point of view, I'm sure it makes sense.

You can spend less time on it and content can be produced faster when you don't need to worry about being out of breath, and don't need to rehearse what you say, or remind about form, or count.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 12:43 AM  
Genevieve M

I like them,too. Especially when you are doing the workout for the nth time. I don't know why some instructors need to be constantly chattering.

This is one I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrNpN5Bpnt0&t=453s
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 01:19 AM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
IMHO, it doesn't take much effort from the instructor in this type of video workout trend.
I think some instructors do this because of the language barrier or their accent. Caroline Girvan is from Northern Ireland and has an accent which some may find hard to understand. Another lady I like who does a lot of hiit workouts is from Germany. I personally don’t watch or listen for form in a hiit workout if I’m giving it my all. I just glance at the move and then go for it.

At the same time, I’ve seen some scary form on YouTube. Push-ups with a sagging middles, kettlebells being lifted by their arms in a swing instead of being swung properly with a hip snap etc. Those instructors couldn’t give proper form pointers anyway because they clearly don’t hold their own bodies properly.

There’s still plenty of people on YouTube that cue though. If you look around a person can pretty much find anything they want.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 01:38 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I agree...if you think about it from the trainer point of view, I'm sure it makes sense.

You can spend less time on it and content can be produced faster when you don't need to worry about being out of breath, and don't need to rehearse what you say, or remind about form, or count.
I would agree that it’s not ideal for for strength, HIIT, or cardio with complex choreography as form pointers are important. But for a walking style workout with basic choreography that’s not really an issue.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cueing