Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 03-18-02, 11:43 AM  
babystepsOK

Unhappy work out when sick?

Hello everyone.
I have the flu---yuck! It has been a couple of days and I still feel crappy.
This question may have been asked before, but please bear with me. Should I work out when I feel lousy, I mean will it help me to feel better faster, or should I wait until I feel 100% to start up again?
Thanks for any feedback.

http://www.fitday.com./WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=babystepsOK
babystepsOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 12:13 PM  
Dawn
VF Supporter

my experience

Just based on my experience, I never work out when I have the flu. I think it takes me longer to recover since just having the flu takes so much out of a person. I do work out when I have a head cold because I feel it helps me feel better, but never with a chest cold or the flu. I say take a few days off and get plenty of fluids so you can get on the road to recovery a lot quicker.

Dawn H.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 12:54 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I just came off a 10 day sick period. I had something resembling the flu, cold, cough all rolled into one. I felt horrible. I was also mad because I couldn't workout. I wanted to, but I was simply too ill. I think this is a good guage of whether you should or not.
With a normal cold or headache, I'll push through and do my workouts anyway. It always makes me feel better. But this time I just couldn't.
I am almost back to normal, but my lung capacity is still below par. I had the most horrible cough you've ever heard, so it's no wonder I still can't catch my breath like I should.
My advice, go with your instincts, your gut feeling so to speak. If you don't have the energy or the will to workout, your body is telling you to rest. Make yourself take a few days off. Even though I hated it, I think it was the best thing for me.
Hope you feel better soon!
Jeanne
Jeanne Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 01:04 PM  
Annie99

Jeanne Marie, I'm in the same boat as you right now! For about two weeks now, I've had this weird headache/dry cough/generally achy type sickness. Why o why won't it just go away?

Anyhow, I have to agree that you should NOT work out if you have a fever, very bad cough, or stomach sickness. Just let your body rest and drink a lot of water.

However, if you have a head cold and feel fine otherwise, a good workout might just clear your head.

Today I'm going to do Firm's Vol. 4, which is intense with heavy weights, but short. I'm just going to go light, so I don't overdo it.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Annie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 01:06 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Rest

I'm recovering from the killer flu, and getting back into my exercise routine after 8 days of no exercise. 8 days is a record for me! I recommend resting until you no longer have a fever and can breathe more easily. When you feel ready, start exercising again with your easier/shorter tapes. Even now, I still get tired easily and am sticking to gentler workouts for the time being.

I do work out when I have allergy problems (unless I have severe problems) or headaches, but I rest when I have the flu or a severe cold.

Get plenty of rest, and you'll recover more quickly.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 01:08 PM  
dnk
VF Supporter

Listen to your body

I really enjoy working out every day, and usually in the morning. It's my "me" time, and I feel grumpy and deprived if I don't get it. However, there have been some times over the last year where I just couldn't- and shouldn't. Last summer, I had a nasty stomach bug coupled with a fever. I was thinking that I could do 10 minutes of yoga, but I couldn't stand the thought of lifting my leg or tightening my core, much less folding up for a forward bend or sun salutation. I took the day off and it's good that I did. Right around New Year's, I came down with a nasty sinus infection. It was difficult to breathe, and my muscles were achy. Standing for more than a minute was not an option, and I couldn't convince my muscles to lift anything other than my 30 pound two-year old, so again, good that I "rested".

I'm not sure, though, that you need to wait until you're "100%". I have zero scientic evidence to back this up, but as long as you're not running a really high fever and you can do something, it might be a better idea to do it. I do believe that some exercise will help move whatever you have around and help it exit more quickly. I don't think I'd advise strength training if you're feeling weak, but maybe a 10 to 15 minute walk (or walk in place) or light yoga session would make you feel better. But if you feel like you can't or shouldn't, don't.

Finally: if you do decide to do something but feel tired afterwards, go to bed and don't feel like there are other things you "should" do (like make dinner for the family or pick up the living room) because you were able to do a little exercise. Think of it as helping along your recovery, not as proof that you're not really sick.

And so ends my speech for today...

Deb
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 01:40 PM  
babystepsOK

Thanks all I still feel pretty ucky and have a fever with chest congestion, so I think I'll listen to all of you (and my body) and leave the workouts for when I feel like I can do it. Just driving the kids to school today was an ordeal, I thought I'd NEVER get home! I gotta go pick them up now, <sigh>

I just KNEW you all would tell me to rest, I guess I just needed people with experience to tell me that it's OK, and GOOD to rest! Thanks again.

Old 03-18-02, 02:36 PM  
DJ*
VF Supporter

Hey Tracy!
I'm right there with you. I haven't worked out since Thursday because I haven't felt well enough to make it through a video.

The general rule of thumb has to do with symptom location. If all symptoms are above the neck (minor headache, nasal congestion), it's your call whether or not to workout. If any symptoms are below the neck (chest congestion, upset stomach, fever), skip the workout and get some extra rest.

Hope you feel better soon!
DJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 03:01 PM  
babystepsOK

Thanks, DJ! Sorry to hear that you are under the weather too I guess I better sit out then, b/c I have chest congestion.

Hope you are feeling better soon

Old 03-18-02, 04:07 PM  
Aerika J.

Thumbs down Same here. No workouts because of flu.

On Monday- March 4, I had an awesome workout. I did Cathe's Pure Strength CST and Step Max. I felt kind of funny after my bath but thought that it was because I might have over done it just a bit. On Tuesday, I felt like I had been hit by a bus. I had to leave work after only two hours. I had the flu big time and was off work for the rest of the week. I didn't workout at all last week because I still felt weak and had a hacking cough. I think tonight will be my first night back on. I'm still coughing but it isn't as bad. I can't believe it had me out of commission this long.

I would definately recommend rest during the flu.

Aerika J.
Aerika J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illness