Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-02, 04:45 PM  
rockette
VF Supporter

Question For those of you who've had an unfit pregnancy and a fit pregnancy...

Hi all,

I'm going to be trying for child #3 in a couple of months and this will be the first pregnancy where I'm fitness minded. I've been working out consistently for a year now and I'm really curious to see how my next pregnancy will be different since I plan to continue working out.

For those of you who've had a pregnancy where you weren't fit and one where you were I want to know your experience with the following:

1. Weight gain and image of your self during pregnancy
2. Ability to maintain fitness level during pregnancy
3. Labor, delivery and recovery period
4. Resuming workouts
5. How long did it take for you to feel as if you had your body back?

Thanks for your replies.

Rockette
rockette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 04:55 PM  
Sonya

I had a very unfit pregnancy two years ago. I ended up gaining over 50 pounds and it was due to eating like a pig all the time! It was very hard for me to get fit agian. I was so mad at myself for allowing this to happen. I think having a bad body image just led me to eat more.

Well, I'm pregnant again and I am very focused on staying fit. I make sure that I eat healthy and I exercise daily. If I am too tired to do a workout tape, I walk two miles. So far I have been doing great with my stay-fit plan. But I still have many more weeks ahead of me.

I am not able to answer your questions since I am pregnant, but I am curious to see what other's response will be.
Sonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 05:11 PM  
twinkletoes

Fit Pregnancy

I only had one pregnancy so I won't be able to compare but I hope this helps you a little.

I gained 45 pounds! More than I should have I know but I kept the junk food to a bare minimum. Even though I gained 45 pounds, people always told me I looked so small. Nobody believed me when I said I weighed 180. I like to think I have a pretty good self-image and I think during my pregnancy it didn't change. There may have been one or two days at the end when I would complain about being fat but overall, I was happy with myself.

The first trimester I was tired a lot and probably only worked out 2-3 times a week. The second trimester, I worked out about 4 times a week. The third trimester I went back to 2-3 times a week and then in the last month I stopped working out because I was just too uncomfortable.

Labor & delivery - 22 hours. Working out did not make it easier for me!!!!!! Well, unless you say it helped with endurance. But I did recover very fast. After 22 hours and a 9 pound baby, I was up and walking the next day and after one week, I felt pretty much back to normal.

4. Resuming workouts

I waited six weeks before working out again (just had him on Jan. 5) only because I was trying to adjust to my new life. Now I'm working out Mon-Fri again. I'm not doing any high impact yet but other than that, my workouts are back to normal.

I weighed 140 before I got pregnant (I want to be 125). I was 185 at my highest while I was pregnant. I lost THIRTY pounds the first week after I had him. I couldn't believe it. Now I'm 150 - only 10 pounds more than my prepregnancy weight and it's only been two months! I feel pretty confident I'll be 140 or less by summer!!

Sorry this is so lengthy. If you're still reading it, I hope it helped you!!!
twinkletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 05:26 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I had two fit pregnancies and one unfit. Here is my experience but please remember that your mileage may vary!

Weight gain/self image - definitely less weight gain (under 30 lb instead of over 40) with fit pregnancies, and better body image too.

fitness level-- I have to agree with the previous poster that in the first few weeks when you're nauseous, it's tough to keep up much of a routine (BUT, when I could bring myself to work out, it made my nauseous significantly better!). In the middle trimester, you can really use that burst of energy to your advantage and work out at a fairly high level. Then in the last couple of months your lung capacity is so compromised and your center of gravity is so weird that it gets harder again and for safety's sake you have to really start modifying. However, post-partum, you'll find that you're a lot fitter and lighter than you ever thought you would feel and you can take advantage of that!

labor/delivery/recovery - with my two fit pregnancies I was easily back at prepregnancy weight by 12 weeks (note: I did not breastfeed for medical reasons). With my unfit pregnancy I never did really lose the last 10 pounds until four years later and then it was only because I had a bout with a chronic illness. I was working out for the last 2 1/2 of those four years, too! --so it wasn't laziness on my part! As far as L&D goes, I can't really say there was any difference. All three of my labors were incredibly different, I don't think fitness had much to do with it.

resuming workouts - I resumed working out about a week post partum with my fit pregnancies. I felt great and started walking and doing mild-mannered workouts. Of course you have to watch your bleeding and let that be your guide. And it is harder each time just because you have more kids demanding your energy and attention! But walking is something you can easily start almost immediately if your doctor approves. I'd say that by 8 to 12 weeks post partum I was back to my usual workouts (which at that time were not as intense as what I'm doing now, so if you're talking about CATHE or something, it might take longer!)

I felt like I had my body back in about 4 months with the two fit pregnancies. Never have gotten it back with the third (unfit) one but I was an older mom by that time (35) and I just don't think you snap back as well when you're older, even if you lose the weight.

Good luck with your, um, efforts!! hehe. Hopefully we'll be hearing an announcement sometime soon!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 05:53 PM  
Daphne M

Two different pregnancies

For my first pregnancy, I was active and healthy, but not what I'd call "fit." I walked my dogs a couple of miles every day at a vigorous pace and that was about it.

For my second pregnancy, I was fit. I was doing cardio 4 to 5 times per week and light weight training (circuit-type workouts.) The cardio was at an advanced level.

Major differences:

(1) Gained 50 pounds with #1; only 25 pounds with #2.

(2) The 2nd pregnancy was much more comfortable. I mean, it was like night and day! No painful heartburn, less fluid retention, I could wear my weddin ring, I could take a deep breath. I could sleep at night. (Well, sort of sleep -- my kids are only 20 months apart.)

(3) Labor and delivery -- sorry to report, my level of fitness didn't make a whit of difference. Both experiences were very similar. Both babies were about the same size (9+ pounds, ouch!) and both had medical issues that sent them to NICU for a while. I'm happy to report that they're both healthy and happy kids today.

(4) Recovery -- I had really fast recoveries with both kids. I was up and walking around within a few hours (I had c-sections) and my biggest problem both times was my tendency to overdo. I don't remember when I started exercising again after my first, but after my second, I started back taking step classes and so on when she was 6 weeks old. And I'm still going strong, 5 1/2 years later.

(5) Weight loss -- both times, I lost almost all my pregnancy weight by 6 weeks post-partum.

So to sum up, the biggest difference for me was that I felt really good during my "fit" pregnancy. During the first pregnancy, I had a cold that wouldn't quit, had a bladder that wouldn't quit, had heartburn that wouldn't quit and felt like I was gasping for air.

But labor and delivery were similar and so was recovery and weight loss. (Even though I gained x2 as much with my first.) Go figure.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 06:25 PM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

I had very different experiences with my two pregnancies. I believe, exercise made all the difference. I was 23 years old for my 1st and 32 for my 2nd.

1. Weight gain and image of your self during pregnancy.
I gained 50 pounds with my first (unfit) pregnancy and 28 pounds for my 2nd/fit pregnancy. Some of that was water retention because my 1st was born in NYC in August (no fun!) and my 2nd was born in April.

2. Ability to maintain fitness level during pregnancy.
I wasn't exercising at all for the 1st. For the 2nd, I was literally exercising during labor . I used all my usual tapes, but I modified them "down" in impact, I lowered my step height, and I reduced the amount of weight I had been lifting too. I felt pretty rotten during the 1st pregnancy. Lots of aches and pains. I had that pregnancy "waddle" down to a science too . During the 2nd, I never had the waddle at all. I never had any aches and pains either!

I had a C-Section with the 1st, so the recovery was much longer. I had a VBAC with the 2nd and felt great! I attribute being fit, at least in part, with the fact I was able to have a "regular" delivery.

4. Resuming workouts
I was back to low-impact workouts after only 8-9 days--mostly walking and low-impact tapes. I know it sounds early, but was ready!

With the 1st, I was a few sizes larger than my "regular" size for quite a while--over a year at least. With the 2nd, I was back into my regular size within a couple months. My belly area will never be quite the same again, but it's worth it!

Good luck!
Old 03-11-02, 07:25 PM  
Sunrise
VF Supporter

Unfit Preganancy - Baby #1 - bedrest 1st trimester
I gained over 50 lbs.
I had to buy new maternity clothes 2 weeks before I was due because my others didn't fit anymore.
I swelled up like a balloon.
I never did anything.
I couldn't sleep.
I never did fit into my prepregnancy clothes.
It took the entire six weeks to feel decent again and months before I felt even close to normal.
I had a difficult labor and delivery.

Fit pregnancy - Baby #2 - bedrest 1st trimester
I gained 25lbs
I never fit in my previous maternity clothes - they were too stretched out from baby #1
I never swelled up.
I shoveled the driveway, did pregnancy workouts and /or walked 3 miles 5 times per week.
I slept very well.
I was in my prepregnancy clothes with-in 4 weeks.
I went grocery shopping and did laundry 3 days after birth.
I resumed workouts about 3 months after baby was born but that was only because he had health problems and we were in the middle of moving so I didn't have time to get back into it.
Now I not only fit into prepregnancy clothes but I weigh 15 lbs less than I did when I got married.

Other thoughts - I never thought I would have another baby after #1 because it was such a horrible experience. I had every bad symptom possible in pregnancy. I had a breezy second pregnancy aside from the bedrest. I attribute that 100% to keeping active.
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 07:32 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Deanna

I wasn't exercising at all for the 1st. For the 2nd, I was literally exercising during labor .
Oh Deanna!! You bring back memories!! I too exercised during labor with my first baby. I started having contractions at 6 am but they were sporadic. I went to my 10 am prenatal aerobics class and about 10 minutes into it they were suddenly 60 seconds long every 5 minutes!! We timed 'em together while we were exercising, everyone was SO excited! My aerobics instructor advised me to go straight to my doc's office, which I did.

I ended up going back home from there and walking and waiting, but ended up in the hospital at 5 pm and ready to push by 11

(of course she wasn't BORN until 2 am, but those three hours pushing are a story all their own! haha! I suppose being fit DID help with that part!)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-02, 12:32 AM  
owiebrain

I adopted kiddo #1. I was fit throughout pregnancy with kiddo #2 (I was 28 years old). I was very unfit throughout pregnancy with kiddo #3 (I was 32). Somewhat fit this pregnancy, kiddo #4, and trying to improve it (baby is due around my birthday so I will be 33/34).

Fit pregnancy--self-image was fine. Unfit pregnancy--self-image was fine but spirits were low. Didn't track weight gain with either but I'd say fit pregnancy was within "normal" range, while unfit pregnancy, I weighed less at onset of labor than pre-pregnancy.

Fit pregnancy--fairly easy but I did turn into Queen Klutz!

Oh, baby! This is where fitness paid off for me! Fit pregnancy--labor was 19 1/2 hours long--no problem, had good energy and spirits all the way through. Unfit pregnancy--labor was only 6 1/2 hours long and I was wiped out by the time transition hit, very low energy, wasn't able to even hold myself in a squat position for birth--hubby had to support me. So many other factors figured into the LD&R period that my fitness level didn't really have much bearing other than actual labor, though I was up and acting normal immediately after birth both times.

4. Resuming workouts

Fit pregnancy--resumed light workouts the day after birth. Unfit pregnancy--didn't resume for months (hadn't been doing it during pregnancy) due to many things.

You mean we're supposed to get our bodies back?? LOL Fit pregnancy, within a couple of weeks, I was going full blast and the saggy abs were gone in a month or two. Unfit pregnancy, Though I never weighed in, I know I weighed quite a bit less at the end of the pregnancy than my usual and healthy pre-pregnancy weight--has taken me about a year to put most of the weight back on. (I'm one of those that loses weight when unhealthy, rather than gaining. Really stinks.)

Another factor: I breastfeed on demand, during pregnancy, and do not wean my kids--they wean themselves when ready, so I've been breastfeeding with no breaks since kiddo #2 was born (5 1/2 years, 2 at once for 1 year). I'm sure that has something to do with weight gain and loss during and after pregnancy but I haven't owned a scale in years so have no idea of actual numbers. I have noticed, though, that during my healthy pregnancies (I'm on #4 now), my body adds on some welcome extra padding.

I'm definitely trying to at least maintain my current fitness level (which leaves much to be desired) and, hopefully, even improve it during this pregnancy. No way do I want to go into another labor being unfit! Fortunately, I had already started getting back into shape before I got pregnant this time (although, I did take the first trimester completely off) and am feeling much stronger so far than I ever was with my unfit pregnancy.

Good luck on TTC!!!!

diane
Pregnant with #4, expected beginning of August if baby agrees.

Please excuse any typos--probably NAK (nursing at keyboard). :-)
owiebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-02, 01:06 AM  
Mandy

Fit and unfit pregnancy

I've had 4 unfit pregnancies(including a set of twins) and I've had 2 fit pregnancies.

Unfit pregnancies:
1. Weight gain and image of your self during pregnancy:

I gained about 40 lbs with my single babies and gained 60+ with my twins. I had a miserable self image. I was breathless and tired and lethargic. I wore tent dresses. I was happy to have a baby but not happy about gaining the weight.

2. Ability to maintain fitness level during pregnancy: I didn't do any exercise during my unfit pregnancy. I didn't know anything about eating well. I was very nauseated and sick so when I ate, it made the nausea go away. So I ate and ate and ate. Midnight nachos were a must when I was pregnant with the twins. YUCK! I had sleepless nights, muscle cramps, restlessness and just plain ol' aches and pains. Especially in my calf muscle.
3. Labor, delivery and recovery period:
My labors were long and hard and painful. I did them all drug free. I recovered very very slowly and had terrible aches and pains after labor. Every muscle hurt. I had to be wheeled out of the hospital. I couldn't walk.
4. Resuming workouts:
What workouts? I didn't exercise. I just sifted through diet book after diet book to figure out how to lose this weight.

5. How long did it take for you to feel as if you had your body back? I never really felt like I got my body back until I found exercise in 1995. I had HAD it!! I was not going to be obese anymore!!

My Fit pregnancies....hooray...yahoo!

1. Weight gain and image of your self during pregnancy: Weight gain seemed to be the same for me. I can't help it. No matter how much I was consistant to exercise, pregnancy just holds on to the fat for me.
2. Ability to maintain fitness level during pregnancy:
During the first trimester I was barf city. I barely could do a video but it made me feel better to get OUT and walk. Get some fresh air and get away from the smells of home. I took it easy the first trimester but after a while, I was back into doing my Tae Bo videos and other Firm videos. I managed to workout all the way through my pregnancy because I was very healthy and fit. Working out with weights helped me stay nice and toned. The only thing that changed was my ever growing belly. But my upper body ,butt and legs looked awesome. I had no more aches and pains. No more leg cramps. I had NO swelling!!
3. Labor, delivery and recovery period:
I finally got through my head that I could have an epidural so labor was a party. I recovered very quickly and after the epidural wore off, I was up and about and had not pain and had no stitches. Oh, another thing is my pushing was very easy compared to my unfit pregnancy. Only 2 pushes and my babies are out. I walked out of the hospital with a pride in my stride with my new sneakers on for motivation!
4. Resuming workouts:
Resuming workouts started out 6 weeks after birth and I was doing advanced Firms and Cathe and had just found out about Joyce Vedral. I always wait 6 weeks after I have a baby because it was my midwives orders. I would just see how my bleeding was. If it started flowing more heavily, I would cut back. But I was back into my workouts very quickly.
5. How long did it take for you to feel as if you had your body back? Well for ME, this is very personal because breastfeeding takes about a year for my babies and I don't feel like I have my body back until I stop breastfeeding. My body just holds onto 15lbs of fat or so while I breastfeed. So pregnancy isn't about 9 months for me. It's a long sacrificial 9 months plus about a year and a half to 2.

Mandy Lee
Wonder Woman of 7
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gerd, heartburn, pregnancy, pregnancy weight loss