Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 01-11-02, 11:32 AM  
spshastr

Low Impact tapes (not kickboxing)

I am looking out for low impact tapes(not kickboxing)which are intermediate
which do not have complex choreography.I have
almost all charlenes.I am actually looking for 40-60 mins tapes.I dont care much for kathy Smith.
Any input appreciated.
Thanks
spshastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 12:21 PM  
TallMomof2
VF Supporter

I just did Gay Gasper's Fat Burning Workout for Dummies and it's a solid intermediate workout. Gay does large movements and vigorous arm movements that really put your heart rate up there. The choreography is easy to follow and she gives high impact options. And it was around $8 at Best Buy!

Harold Sanco's Urban Training is another good low impact workout. The choreography is fairly complex (I'm not a dancer) but you repeat the combos a lot. I'd rate this a high intermediate.

Charlene Prickett does a lot of low impact workouts (often with high impact options) Her workouts aren't too dancey but she is the queen of chatter. It doesn't bother me much since I'm usually working too hard to notice. Cruising Altitude (floor aerobics) and Living Proof (step) are the 2 longer workouts I own.

Step can be a good option for low impact and there are lots of good step tapes out there!
Old 01-11-02, 01:51 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Leslie Sansone's tapes, preferably the longer workouts (45 minutes) are great beginner/intermediate low impact options. I love her Walk Away the Pounds 3 Miles. I second the Gay Gasper Fat Burning for Dummies suggestions. Also, check out the NAC tapes - Measured Intensity and Interval Challenge. Great production values and fun instructors! The first 30-35 minutes of Karen Voight's Strong and Smooth Moves and Ada's Basic Training the Workout fit the bill too. And my favorite 60-minute tape is Ginette Deslauriers' Urban Tai Chi - fresh, creative, fun.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 03:31 PM  
dnk
VF Supporter

BREATHE by Petra Kolber is my favorite

It's aerobic tai chi, for lack of a better description. It's about 12 different tai chi forms that she blends into a routine. It's a little dancy, but she spends so much time building it that even the choreography challenged like me can handle it.
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 04:10 PM  
planimal
VF Supporter

I just saw the Gay Gasper Dummies tape at K-Mart for $6.99, along with what looked like ALL the other Dummies tapes.

It really is easy to follow because of the very consistent warnings when you're about to change movements, along with how many to do. All the movements are simple and basic too. It's totally low-impact, unlike some that are labeled low-impact, but there are high impact variations shown alongside for lots of the moves.

Some people might find it boring, though. There's just the one person, Ms. Gasper, demonstrating, and the studio is well-lit and pleasant but there isn't much there to look at . The music is pretty forgettable too. And there are only, what, 10 moves being used, maybe 15 with the variations. Still, I've been using it for weeks and still am not bored, but then I am easily entertained. Ms. Gasper's down-to-earth enthusiasm is a help; she seems genuinely pleased to be where she is doing what she's doing.

--Anne
planimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 11:40 PM  
RovinUSA
VF Supporter

Leslie Sansone's Power Walk 3 Miles is fantastic! It is very basic, and uses light weights to up the intensity. It is one of the few tapes of hers that Collage rates as intermediate. It's only 32 minutes of cardio though. I wish she made one just like this only longer! I also have an older one of hers, Weight Loss Walk, which is 4 miles and gives you 52 minutes of cardio. The last two sections are more challenging. I am planning to add the last section of Weight Loss Walk (20 min.) to Power Walk 3 Miles next time for a 52 minute cardio workout with more intensity.

Shelley
RovinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-02, 01:42 PM  
Heather B

another vote for...

Ginette Desaulier's Urban Tai Chi. there are a few jumps but they are easily eliminated. Beware, this tape does have a LOT of squats.

I would also suggest Ada's Basic Training Workout. You can get it at collage's website. but it is not in their catalog anymore. It has some weights at the end but is mostly aerobics.

IT's too bad you don't care for Kathy Smith, because I think her Latin Rhythm workout is easy to follow, has great LIVE music, and is really fun!

The Elise Foss Viva! workout is fun too, and a little harder in intensity and choreography, but the music is rather disappointing, if that is important to you.

Good luck! I am hoping that 2002 will bring a lot more interesting intermediate low impact tapes.

-heather in philly
Heather B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, low impact