Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-19, 06:45 AM  
anne

I'm a kind of lurker. I can't remember when I found video fitness but really am glad this site still exists. I remember reading it a lot back when the Video Reviews section was busy because of all the new workout vhs releases.

Fitness background: I did gymnastics and got the President's Physical Fitness Award several times when I was in elementary school, and took ballet when I was a child. I think my first video purchase was Jane Fonda's Complete Workout when I was in my 20's and I have been exercising pretty regularly ever since (with some gaps but always going back to exercising). I did take a break from videos for too long, though, when I was going only to classes at the gym. I think workout videos can be more effective than the gym--I wish I had continued doing some Firm or other strength training videos when I was only going to the gym.

Favorite Instructors: I like pretty much all of the instructors on vhs/dvd, some more than others. Kari Anderson, all of the Firm instructors, Karen Voight, Kathy Smith, Jessica Smith, Petra Kolber, Denise Austin, etc. They're all good in their own way.

Summer Plans: Right now I'm working through Firm Express workouts and am planning to start the Firm Cardio Weight System next (hi-def sculpt, cardio overdrive, hard core fusion) including some of the other pink firms. I'm going to continue with zumba and step classes at the gym and also add in yoga/ellen barrett sections at the end of the Firm workouts. That's the plan anyway!!
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 07:31 AM  
anjabear

Hi everyone; fun thread!

1. How do you found VF?
I'm not sure; I lurked for a long time before posting though!

2. Fitness Background
Not into sports in school but always a tomboy. In my 20s I was doing Callanetics and The Great Weighted workout. I became a Master Fitness Trainer in the Army National Guard in my 30s and when I got out I got my ACE Personal Trainer cert. I still keep up on that although I only train myself. I have a deep passion for fitness.

3. Favorite instructor(s)
Mark Lauren (YAYOG), Sandra K. (Horizontal Conditioning), Kelly Coffey-Meyer, Andrea Du Cane (Goddess Workout) are my top favorites.

4. Let us know about your Summer workout plan.
I do the Five Tibetans every morning (21) and then three times a week I do push-ups and horizontal pull-ups, and interval running/hiking. Three times a week I'm doing Classic Callanetics.
I was doing a new KCM each month but they have so much upper body in them that it was too much.

I am on a push-up journey right now. It has taken me about three months to be able to do 3 sets of perfect military push-ups. I had to start using two risers and a topper (step) and slowly I have gained strength. I'm doing them from the floor now. Yay! I'm up to 5-6-5 reps. That isn't many but I started out with 1 rep! I'm very pleased with my progress. Plus I do them after my Tibetans so it's a great upper body workout (for me anyway).
Adding: I only lasted a week doing Classic Callanetics. I am back at KCM, but I'm going to do Callanetics in addition later in the day and just add what I want to. I really like the alive feeling I get from KCM's workouts. Love Callanetics but it moves so slowly (obviously). I sleep better with a bit more heart pumping action.

Last edited by anjabear; 07-10-19 at 12:01 PM. Reason: adding something, adding something again!
anjabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 09:14 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Loving all your stories! Please keep them coming.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 09:31 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Enjoying this meet and greet!

1. How do you found VF?
I bought a workout VHS in 2005 on a whim, 10 Minute Solution Pilates at Walmart. I fell in love, and ultimately found VF in my search for more workouts. Now I probably have 200+ DVDs. I got rid of most of my VHS but kept my original 10MS Pilates for sentimental purposes (I also have it on DVD for regular use - LOL )

I also want to add that I lurked probably for a couple of years after joining in 2006, but now I try to participate as much as possible! It's such a supportive and fun group here

2. Fitness Background
I was sedentary as a kid and teenager, although I tried to enjoy soccer and softball at different times in my life. But the exercise videos really just do it for me. Since discovering exercise videos, I have been consistent in my exercise and much healthier in my adult life!

Linda (Barlates), Sylwia (Tonique), Dream Body, Pure Barre/HSM/etc., The Firm/Fitprime, TA (Meta), Simone (Body by Simone)

I have been on a long term barre rotation but recently have been adding classic Firms and Dream Body in, and also more focused mat pilates, and it is great!!
Old 07-08-19, 07:00 PM  
jcmclean

My mate bought all the Firm videotapes and I was hooked. I always preferred videos to gym workouts though for strength gains they are better. I can’t remember when I started looking at Videofitness but the site alerted me to the arrival of P90X in 2004 and Tony Horton seems to make workouts perfect for my body. He instinctively design workout programs that keep me injury free when crossfit made me a wreak in a month. I haven’t got anything new from VF in a long time but I still lurk and hope. For the summer I’m doing P90X3.
jcmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 01:23 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Hi-
I am definitely not a lurker here, but enjoy reading posts and occasionally posting, too. I started the Request the Wealth threads because I realized that many of us had dvds or vhs sitting around unused and someone here might want them.

1. I found VF during a Google search, and was instantly hooked.
2. I have always done sports, first tennis and swimming, then skiing. I think my first workout was Jane Fonda on a record if you can believe that!
3. My favorite instructor is Cathe for all-around variety of workouts. I love Cathe Live--that is my best investment over the past few years. I have now done over 100 Live sessions.
4. I still love to swim and in Florida can swim most of the year. I am also doing Cathe workouts (Live and dvds), and trying to add some stretching, yoga, CS, flexibility to my routine.

Thanks for this thread
Lori
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 10:34 AM  
AnMrsDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskier View Post
Hi-
I am definitely not a lurker here, but enjoy reading posts and occasionally posting, too. I started the Request the Wealth threads because I realized that many of us had dvds or vhs sitting around unused and someone here might want them.

Lori
Yes, and we just want to THANK YOU, LORI, for starting the RTW thread, as I and many others have received some goodies from generous VFer's who weren't using them any longer. A fabulous idea!

I am enjoying this thread, hearing from lurkers and not-so-lurkers! It's nice to hear from ppl who finally made the choice to post and hope to hear from them again and again!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 08:28 AM  
Exercise Diva

I'm definitely more of a lurker but will post occasionally.

I feel like I've been on VF forever and honestly can't remember how I found it. I think accidentally looking up something fitness related, and it became my regular go to for all things fitness.

I always loved moving - begged my mom to let me take ballet classes when I was young. She used to joke that I never walked - I ran everywhere. My serious fitness journey started with the original Firms when I was in my early 20s. They were the reason I fell in love with weight training and structured fitness in general.

3.My favorite instructors have changed over the years (probably like a lot of us). I love Lauren Brooks and Anthony Diluglio though I don't do a lot of kettlebell work these days. My favorite instructors are being replaced with favorite streaming sites such as Essentrics TV, Adriene's yoga channel, and Pilatesology.

4. My daughter is moving home from LA, so I'm hoping to spend some time with her going into the city and doing a lot of walking (we live North of Boston - one of my favorite walking cities) and doing more Pilates, CS, and Yin Yoga (becoming a favorite of mine too). Getting ready for shoulder surgery in November so trying to get my fitness up for that because there will be a lot of down time while I recover.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 05:04 PM  
Donatella
VF Supporter

Hi Everyone, I’m a long-time lurker here. Thanks for starting this thread Sharaz, I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s story.

1.How do you find VF?
I was a member of the original FIRM Believers forum and then YaYas, and found VF through that, as it was sometimes referenced in posts.

2. Fitness Background
I started with Jane Fonda’s Workout album, and also watched Joanie Greggains’ Morning Stretch show (not sure if that was broadcast outside of the San Francisco area?) Joanie also had a workout album that I used. Then I saw the original FIRM Volume 1 advertised in a fitness magazine, for pre-order. I think that was in 1983 or 1984. I rotated FIRMs for years and then gradually tried other instructors that were mentioned in the forums.

Linda Wooldridge, Fitness Fusion/Dream Body instructors, Simone De La Rue (Body by Simone). I also like and subscribe to Les Mills on Demand and do either Body Combat or Body Attack a few times per week.

I’ve been using a lot of Linda Woolridge’s workouts during the past few months and am especially loving her Endurance series – they are a major sweat fest. Although I’ve been at goal weight for many years, these workouts seem to be changing my shape for the better. In addition to Linda’s workouts I also enjoy the Fitness Fusion/Dream Body workouts and have been combining the two. For example, this morning I did Erica’s Foxing 30-minute workout from the Fitness Fusion Sweat Lab series, and then did Linda’s 1+2=3 from her 120 Endurance series.
Donatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 03:44 PM  
Sharaz

I enjoy reading your posts!

nyskier - Request the wealth was a wonderful idea!
I think there is quorum for a FL VF meet up in a future

Tags
group rx, introductions, plica, power music, power music group rx