Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-19, 06:11 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Personal Yoga Challenge: sticking to one “theme”

Inspired by the individual challenges & come-backs posted here, and the desire to focus on doing yoga more often, I’m committing to daily yoga - but focusing on one thing at a time. I hope to make it for a year.

I’m blessed with an abundance of yoga books, DVDs, and two streaming subscriptions. But I hop around, do a little of this and that and not really getting anywhere. I don’t really feel that I’m getting the true benefits of yoga by cherry-picking random sequences. So I’m going to stick to one book (or one series) for a designated period of time.

Starting with “Thrive Through Yoga”
I’m kicking off with a book: “Thrive Through Yoga” by Nicola Jane Hobbs. It’s described as a “21-day journey to ease anxiety, love your body and feel more alive”. That’s exactly what I need right now: I’ve had three not-ordinary health issues so far this year, plus the start of anxiety attacks. My body is sore, tired, and overworked. I seem to have lost the joy I used to feel; I want to “thrive”.

Each day of the Thrive Through Yoga “journey” includes:
  • A heart-centered exploration (such exercises I’ve usually felt are silly)
  • A sequence that includes things I usually skip, such as: setting an intention, her version of sun salutations, resting 5-10 minutes in savasana. I usually consider a yoga sequence as a physical/movement thing, just holding a pose as long or as little as I want. This will be a challenge for me to poses for a specified length of time or number of breaths.
  • A Meditation

I won’t check in daily (but I will check in with the Sadhana thread when it begins.) But every week or so I’ll report in and note any observations. Can I actually stay committed to one thing at a time?
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-19, 07:35 AM  
bubbles76

This sounds amazing! Do you know if there is a dvd program like this? The closest I can think of is Blissology. He has the meditation, setting intention, etc. It's been awhile since I've done it, so I don't remember how long the savanna is.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-19, 09:31 AM  
BunnyHop

This really sounds wonderful!

I've been working to develop a personal practice, but so far I've been inconsistent. Years ago I had a meditation practice and a yoga practice, but somehow I can't get back in the groove.

For me, using J Brown's dvd has been really helpful. I tend to like the 30 minute practice the best.

When I'm practicing independently his basic advice to follow the breath and incorporate moves that include some forward bends, back bends, side bends, a bit of a twist, etc., really was helpful. I do poses seated, standing, on my back, on my stomach, etc. A little variety from each position, in each direction.

Savasana is hard when I'm on my own, somehow I find it hard to both focus on the practice and keep track of the time.
Old 06-16-19, 11:41 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

That sounds wonderful Anita, I look forward to reading your posts! I’ll start the Sadhana thread Thurs night, all set for the solstice which officially takes place around noon on Friday the 21st. Bubbles & BunnyHop, please feel welcome to join in too!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 01:31 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Hi everyone - It’s been about two months of focusing primarily on yoga and sticking to one “theme” or “program”. I thought I’d share my results so far. I did not mention in my original post, but I’m rehabbing from an injured leg. Basically, everything (quad, hamstring, IT band, calf) was extremely sore and tight - from overuse, overwork, and insufficient stretching over the years. Some days just taking a step was extremely painful; I went to physical therapy for about five months.

So I chose yoga because in that timeframe I basically couldn’t do much else. I’ve done yoga off & on for many years (10 years or more???), but never got past basic-beginner phase. I wanted to see if sticking to one program would be better, rather than randomly cherry-picking classes (online or DVD). The answer is YES !! Here is what I’ve experienced:
  • Previously, I wouldn’t sit in a pose for more than 3 breaths. I’ve quieted myself where I can now be patient enough to hold a pose for 5-10 breaths. That’s great - because after 5 breaths is where the magic happens for me.
  • I used to hate sun salutations. But sticking with a program, I’ve discovered modifications that work for me, while also getting stronger and more flexible. I now tolerate sun salutations and do find the benefit in them - of warming up my body and getting my heart and blood pumping.
  • I actually sit for a minute or two before beginning my practice, to get into the moment and set an intention. I never did that before.
  • With becoming quieter and enjoying my practice so much more, I re-arranged my bedroom and now have a dedicated yoga spot (pretty curtains, indoor water fountain, candles). I now love going to my little special place, and doing my yoga as the day turns into dusk.
  • I then developed a much better evening/get-ready-for-sleep routine and I sleep much better. I’m feeling more rested overall. I still have a way to go but I see improvement in my life.
  • I don’t feel an urge to keep going All-The-Time. I’m more relaxed.
  • I definitely feel calmer. Things that would irk me, I barely notice. Or I just smile and move on with life.
  • I am getting stronger, more flexible, and surprisingly - my endurance has improved. I think that’s because I am breathing better and deeper.

For now, I way-prefer books over videos. Previously, following a video, the instructor would be already moving into a pose, then cueing it, and by the time I got into that new pose, they’d be on to another one. I never really felt much benefit of a pose because I was always either getting there or paying attention to what comes next. Following a book sequence, I can modify the pose, modify how I transition into the pose, and hold it for as long as I like. I’m sure I’ll go back to my online subscriptions, but I may write down the poses as it goes along and then do it on my own.

I started this challenge with the goal of working my way through “Thrive”. I wasn’t able to do only “Thrive” as it was too vigorous for me, even with my sun-salutation modifications. So halfway through, I began alternating with “Yoga - A Beginners Guide” by Eve Boggenpoel. Both books are progression-based, and I enjoyed both. I plan to return to “Thrive” in the future. One of the key things I learned from “Yoga - A Beginner’s Guide” is pelvic alignment. One chapter was devoted to that and I realized how often I incorrectly tilt my pelvis in various poses. Between the two of those books, when I needed a diversion, I would choose a sequence from a Sage Rountree book. I found that I really click with her. None of her books that I own are progression-based, so I’ll use them as add-ins.

I’ve seen many references to yoga being good for weight loss. Two comments: 1) I did not lose any weight. But, I did not gain any weight either, which is remarkable considering I was burning a lot less calories. 2) I have changed my way of eating a bit, through being more mindful: Because of the self-awareness I’m gaining thru yoga, I finally noticed that some of my favorite foods made me feel icky. So I cut down on them.

So I've made my way through both books and am thrilled with the results I’ve experienced with focusing on daily, progressive yoga. I now love yoga and my day would be incomplete without it. My leg is feeling much better - not sure if that’s from the yoga or that it’s been six months since doing the activities that caused all the injuries …

My next focus is on “The Harvard Medical School Guide to Yoga” which is an 8-week program. And I’ll add in more Sage Rountree for variety.

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 01:48 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

That’s awesome Anita, thank you for updating us on your progress! I’m so happy you are healing and feeling more calm & centered. I am going to start sitting quietly for a few minutes before I practice as I tend to jump right in. Along with that, I’m going to take more time for savasana as I often cut it short.

I hope you’ll join us for the winter sadhana, some start on winter solstice, others on Jan 1.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 02:52 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

That's very cool, Anita! Congratulations on your progress. Thanks for the detailed update, and I'm especially impressed with your results given the background story about your injuries. Well done!

I've been doing yoga a couple of times a week for a few months now, though I have missed here and there. I think it's helped me all around, too. Definitely going to keep it up.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 07:03 PM  
Pam

Thanks FirmDancer for your comments. Glad yoga is working for you.

I am now thinking more seriously about making a commitment to a daily practice of yoga, QiGong and meditation. I know it would be good for me. I have never been consistent about practicing, but have done it long enough to see some of the benefits. I like your idea about using one type of yoga, instead of jumping around in the large amount of options available.
Old 09-03-19, 07:29 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

That's great Anita! Congratulations and thanks for updating us.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 11:11 AM  
Rhonda

Great results Anita. I need to get back to my yoga. I was doing the Travis 30 minute yoga program but for some reason stopped. I should get back to it.

Reading your experience definitely makes me want to get back to it.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga challenge