Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-15, 01:31 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thumbs up Jane Adams DVDs: Gentle Yoga, Yoga for Seniors, Stronger Standing Balance

I was doing a search on Amazon for "gentle" yoga and saw several listings under Jane Adams. I didn't even do a search on VF, I just took a chance and ordered two of her videos. I am really glad I did!

Her videos are mostly gentle and move along at a pace that is relaxing, not stressful. (I went off yoga several years ago after I did a live class with a teacher who was too aggressive with adjustments.) I do like other yoga instructors, but really only do Barbara Benagh's SI joint segment from her Yoga for Stress Relief DVD regularly.

The DVD menus are very clear and easy to navigate. The times of each practice are listed next to the workout. The very best part for me personally is that (in the ones I've done so far) she MIRROR CUES! I know that isn't a big deal for most folks. And too many yoga teachers don't bother. I have mild dyslexia, so mirror cueing makes a workout so much more enjoyable.

I have since ordered two more of her videos. I have:

Gentle Yoga (2011)
Stronger Standing Balance (2013)
Gentle Yoga (2014) at Glacier Bay National Park
Yoga for Seniors (2014) outdoor garden setting

I haven't done all the routines. I especially like her Balance practices.

One caveat: Some Amazon reviewer found her voice unpleasant. I was worried about that. Happily, her voice doesn't bother me at all. Yay!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 01:59 PM  
sherry7899

I have some of these on my Amazon wishlist. Thanks for posting about them! I did not mind her voice from the video clips I saw-another VF'er posted links to clips in a different thread.

I need balance work, and I can always use gentle yoga.....

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 02:03 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

There are short clips on Vimeo. For some reason, I can't get them to play:

https://vimeo.com/user34932617/videos

Old 05-30-15, 02:05 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks! I am a total sucker for outdoor settings. I am not a senior, but I have chronic injuries and need gentle yoga for some days.

ETA: Here are the clips another VF'er posted-thank you!

http://www.janeadamsyoga.com/the-dvd-s.html

Old 05-30-15, 02:11 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thanks! I am a total sucker for outdoor settings. I am not a senior, but I have chronic injuries and need gentle yoga for some days.

ETA: Here are the clips another VF'er posted-thank you!

http://www.janeadamsyoga.com/the-dvd-s.html
Thanks, Sherry!
Old 05-30-15, 02:18 PM  
dnna

THE vimeo clips worked on my computer. I think these look lovely and I would love to do these practices. I have no issue with her voice.
dnna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 02:27 PM  
sherry7899

You're welcome Alta!

I am going to try not to buy these and save them for the VF Holiday Gift Exchange. Usually by October I barely have any ideas for a wish list

There was one yoga instructor who's voice drove me up the wall . I cannot recall her name. It was a shame because I liked the practice and she had a gorgeous outdoor setting. She sounded like she was teaching nursery school, and I just could not take it.

Sherry

Old 05-30-15, 02:28 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I have also recently (within the last 6 months or so) become a big Jane Adams fan. I have major balance issues lately so I did a search on Amazon for balance and her dvd's came up. I now have the balance DVD, the Gentle Yoga (filmed in Montana so it's got beautiful scenery), and recently got the (apparently) re-filmed Yoga for Seniors, which I haven't tried yet.

I think I've tried all the practices on Gentle Yoga and loved them all. The balance one is really good for me. On the balance DVD (Stronger Standing Balance), I've tried everything other than the three yoga practices. The 14-minute practice that is just balance exercises is excellent. I've done it several times and it really does help with balance.

I like that she is gentle with her practices but she isn't so gentle that you feel like you haven't done anything.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 02:29 PM  
marya

Thank you so much for the review! I've been considering these for a long, long time--they sound like just my speed where yoga is concerned. (And I definitely prefer outdoor settings for yoga and chi gong.)
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 02:36 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
There was one yoga instructor who's voice drove me up the wall . I cannot recall her name. It was a shame because I liked the practice and she had a gorgeous outdoor setting. She sounded like she was teaching nursery school, and I just could not take it.
I'm thinking maybe Sherri Baptiste Freeman? I took a live class with her and it sounded like she was leading a class of three-year-olds.

Tags
balance training, gentle yoga, jane adams, jane adams yoga, mirror cueing yoga, standing yoga, stronger standing balance, yoga for seniors