Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-20, 12:11 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Does anyone know if it really makes a difference (healthwise or for fat burning/weight loss) whether one does, for instance, 5 days @ 30 mins or 3 days @ 50 mins?
No difference. You can even break it down into 10 minute segments.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 07:03 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Interesting, thanks Sue B!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 07:17 AM  
Tugger31

I'm curious, how old is your doctor? Also did he/the articles discussed previousl in the post, say how intense the cardio had to be? I'm guessing 30 minutes of casual walking 5 days a week wouldn't be enough for weight loss/fitness (?)

I had to take a relative to a Cardiology appt yesterday. There's nothing more motivating than seeing what not taking care of your body can do as you age. (Not saying everyone is like that that was there, namely my relative, she just has an irregular heart beat)

Again, without diet details. Low sodium was highly stressed. It's amazing how much sodium is something. I had some "light" canned soup in my pantry and checked the label when I got home. Despite it being low call, it was 90mg shy of a healthy total sodium allowance for one day!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 07:17 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Does anyone know if it really makes a difference (healthwise or for fat burning/weight loss) whether one does, for instance, 5 days @ 30 mins or 3 days @ 50 mins?
My cardiologist says that there was a large study recently that suggested that 5 days a week, 30 minutes a day of cardio as gentle as walking, would virtually eliminate the risk of stroke. He also mentioned 6 days a week, 20 minutes a day - so I got the impression that frequent cardio work was the key.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 07:37 AM  
Bchgrl42

My doc is in his 50s. He actually didn’t say how intense the cardio has to be. He did say HIIT workouts but he was referring to strength training and circuit or metabolic type workouts being better for fat loss than the traditional 3 sets with rests. When he said 150 minutes his example was 5 days of 30 mins but I’m sure you could break it up however works best for you.
I definitely agree you should find what you love so you stick to it. And many people have great success with yoga or barre etc.
Bchgrl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 09:51 AM  
prettyinpink

How much you should do also depends on how hard you go. These are from the guidelines for Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, based on all the research that has been done.

Quote:
Adults

Adults should move more and sit less throughout the day. Some physical activity is better than none. Adults who sit less and do any amount of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity gain some health benefits.
For substantial health benefits, adults should do at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) to 300 minutes (5 hours) a week of moderate-intensity, or 75 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes) to 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity. Preferably, aerobic activity should be spread throughout the week.
Additional health benefits are gained by engaging in physical activity beyond the equivalent of 300 minutes (5 hours) of moderate-intensity physical activity a week.
Adults should also do muscle-strengthening activities of moderate or greater intensity and that involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week, as these activities provide additional health benefits.
Older Adults

The key guidelines for adults also apply to older adults. In addition, the following key guidelines are just for older adults:

As part of their weekly physical activity, older adults should do multicomponent physical activity that includes balance training as well as aerobic and muscle-strengthening activities.
Older adults should determine their level of effort for physical activity relative to their level of fitness.
Older adults with chronic conditions should understand whether and how their conditions affect their ability to do regular physical activity safely.
When older adults cannot do 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity a week because of chronic conditions, they should be as physically active as their abilities and conditions allow.
https://www.hhs.gov/fitness/be-activ...ans/index.html

The entire set of guidelines is here. https://health.gov/sites/default/fil...nd_edition.pdf It has much more detail and includes more what is meant by moderate and vigorous activities.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 12:24 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
And who is the enabler now?

HAHAHA....aren't we all? ;-)

VERY timely post. I find I get a lot stronger when I do splits. I love full body strength workouts (LOVE Pump) but I see and feel more results when I hit the individual body parts harder and longer.

Thanks for everyone's input too! Good stuff all!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 12:33 PM  
bfit

For some people aiming for the 150 minutes a week can be a motivational goal. My Dad is 91, and he was sort of on and off with exercise (including stuff he's supposed to be doing for knee rehab), but after his doctor told him about the 150 minutes my Dad's counting every one of those minutes! He likes to brag when he exceeds the 150 minutes.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 01:11 PM  
prettyinpink

I thought Body Pump was more of a metabolic, or mixed, workout, where progressive overload is not really the goal.

“Full body strength” probably means different things to different people.
I feel like a lot of video strength programs are actually more mixed, at least for me they are. And some are meant to be. Like how some of us are perfectly capable of keeping up with or exceeding Cathe in weights and reps, but we can’t always do it at the breakneck speed she sometimes uses.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 01:32 PM  
momofcha

Interesting. I’m doing a lot of reading with Debra Atkinson and she is a huge proponent of 2 days of total body weight lifting to fatigue. Says to avoid splits because it really doesn’t give the body time to completely rest. She’s a big advocate of exercising less and just moving more. 2 days of lifting with 72 hours of rest in between and one day of short 10-20 min hiit per week.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise guidelines