Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-14, 03:59 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella View Post
adawn, I've been using vanicream sunscreen for over a decade now. It is effective and one of the few my skin tolerates (I can only take zinc and titanium formulas). I can't say it's the loveliest of sunscreens, but it gets the job done and doesn't make me break out. I do have to put foundation on to cover the masking that comes from the zinc and whatnot.
I'm already pale and the vanicream turns me a slightly more ghostly shade of white! It kind of sinks/blends in after awhile but not fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
One thing I always wonder about honey cleansing is if you aren't pairing it with an oil cleanser of some sort, how are you removing makeup if you wear it?

What you said about TJ's Wild Collected Raw Honey is interesting, because I tried that on my face and it didn't seem to agree with me, either! I'll have to give the other one a shot. Even if my face doesn't like daily honey washes, the occasional wash or mask seems to have a brightening effect.
I don’t wear makeup very often and especially not much in the past year or so, so I don’t have a good solution worked out yet. I’ve worn makeup on two different occasions recently and what I ended up doing was removing my eye makeup with Clinique’s Take the Day Off makeup remover and then using an exfoliating honey scrub by mixing a scrub powder with the honey in my hand first. This seemed to get all of my foundation and powder off (although I don’t use a lot of foundation).

I made my scrub powder out of ground oatmeal, white rice flour, almonds, shredded coconut, kaolin clay, neem powder, etc. similar to Crunchy Betty’s winter scrub recipe. Although I think I could make it with just one or two of those ingredients and it would work the same.

If I wore makeup every day, I’m not sure what I’d do because the scrub is kind of harsh/gritty feeling to use on a daily basis and I try to only use it once or twice a week. I do have some plain witch hazel (14% alcohol) that I could use after the honey scrub, but I haven’t added that variable yet.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 02:28 PM  
Gilda
VF Supporter

As I have mentioned, I am quite passionate about skin care. My daughter and I went shopping over the weekend and stopped at a makeup counter. I was wearing no makeup and the makeup artist was VERY complimentary about my skin, even more so after after I told her my age.

I thought about all the time I've spent finding just the right products and my new focus on natural / organic lines (and my overall health) and how it's paying off!

I also thought of all of you -- this discussion and VF in general. It's great to have a place to come to for information and inspiration.

Thank you!

Reminder to self: Fitness, Finances, FICO
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 11:42 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Does anyone have a great concealer that they like?
Oleda Baker sells an inexpensive concealer (she calls it a highlighter) that has a bit of shimmer but not too much. I kind of like it but don't know if it's my Holy Grail. I like to try new things. She has sales quit often so that's when I buy other things as well. She is more of an anti-aging beauty counselor since she is going to be 80 this year, I think. Check out her website.
Old 03-06-14, 09:29 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
As I have mentioned, I am quite passionate about skin care. My daughter and I went shopping over the weekend and stopped at a makeup counter. I was wearing no makeup and the makeup artist was VERY complimentary about my skin, even more so after after I told her my age.

I thought about all the time I've spent finding just the right products and my new focus on natural / organic lines (and my overall health) and how it's paying off!

I also thought of all of you -- this discussion and VF in general. It's great to have a place to come to for information and inspiration.

Thank you!
That is awesome! What products are you using? I have been looking over the 100% Pure Line. I would love to go the natural route, but I have trouble finding stuff that works for my skin type (oily), most of the natural products I have tried end up being too heavy and greasy for me. I am curious about the set they have at 100% Pure for oily skin - it comes in a mini-kit so I was thinking of trying it (mini kit seems the safest way to go so I'm not left w/ a lot of product if it doesn't work out for me - I do also think they have a 30 day return period). It says not to order in the winter if you live in an area prone to freezing temps! I don't live in a particularly cold place, but this year, the arctic vortex has taken up what seems like permanent residence here and it has been crazy cold for this area. I may wait until April or May to try this kit:

https://www.100percentpure.com/Mint-...p/1gsmwtsc.htm

Anyone try these products?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 10:53 AM  
Gilda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
That is awesome! What products are you using?

Donna
Thank you Donna! After much "research" (meaning a visit to the Farmer's Market and a quick decision to become a fan of this wonderful company), I'm using facial care products from Anders Natural Soap: http://www.andersnaturalsoap.com/index.php

I talked about it here:
http://videofitness.com/~vfwnk/forum...30#post2365330

For cleanser, I could use the Anders unscented bar soap but am still using my Neutrogena naturals purifying facial cleanser (found it on the list of best products in one of the many magazine health & beauty awards lists I read).

The 100% Pure Line -- thanks for the link. I had not heard of that line before. I noticed on the site that when you order, you'll also receive free samples. Keep us posted!

Reminder to self: Fitness, Finances, FICO
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 01:06 PM  
NotThatGirl

Cane + Austin Retexturizing Pads

Alright, I have been using these for almost 3 weeks and wanted to give it a little while before I reported back with results. For the record, I was smitten with these things after the first week!

I can say with complete honesty that this product is one of the single best purchases I have ever made in regards to my skin care. These pads have been a real game changer for me. I have noticed a significant difference in my skin. There has been a huge reduction of blackheads on my nose and chin (they are not all gone, but I would say they reduced by 75% for me). I also feel like they have really smoothed some fine lines and wrinkles. I have had better results smoothing my forehead with these in 3 weeks than I did using retin-a. The area where these really shine is in fading past acne marks. My skin really does look A LOT more even and luminous. Marks fade so so quickly with these - really noticable changes in just 5-7 days. I could go on and on about these. Pores are smaller, fewer blackheads, smoother wrinkles, and more even toned skin. The only area where I have yet to see some improvement is with some small actual acne scarring. Those spots pretty much look the same but everything else has improved so much that I am willing to be patient.

Also, the pads are meant to be used twice a day and you get a 30 day supply in a jar. I used one pad a day just at night to stretch it out so I can't imagine what my results would be if I had used them as directed. Something to keep in mind.

p.s thanks for the update on the castor oil adawn!
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 01:28 PM  
donnamp

Nothatgirl - which ones did you use the 10% glycolic or the 5% glycolic/2% salicylic?

Donna
Old 03-06-14, 02:29 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Nothatgirl - which ones did you use the 10% glycolic or the 5% glycolic/2% salicylic?

Donna
I used the 10% glycolic. They have a "miracle pad" version though that is new and they are 20%. I am pretty sure that would be a little too much for my skin though.
Old 03-06-14, 02:51 PM  
donnamp

Thanks!! I may try them - I have a lot of the same "issues" as you! for the price, I can see why you stuck to 1 a day - that is probably what I would do as well!!

Donna
Old 03-06-14, 03:42 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Thanks!! I may try them - I have a lot of the same "issues" as you! for the price, I can see why you stuck to 1 a day - that is probably what I would do as well!!

Donna
Yeah that is exactly why I just used one. I do think they are big enough that you could cut them in half and try and use them twice a day that way and still get two months worth instead of one but I find that to be a little annoying and I don't think you'd end up with enough product to do your neck and chest too.

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, cosmetics, makeupalley, paula's choice, shapewear, skin care, spanx