Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-14, 11:50 PM  
yahoo205

Can anyone recommend a moisturizing, non greasy, fast absorbing, lightweight but natural/organic (or at least mostly) moisturizer. Scented would be great since I don't wear much perfume.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 01:12 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
I would watch other Europeans but I don't know any that actually speak in English. I love European beauty products, even drugstore. I don't know why.
I could see myself visiting England and stopping in at a drugstore, lol. Although, I'll probably never get there, but it's nice to dream!
Old 02-27-14, 01:18 PM  
PhyllisG

When we traveled often and stopped in Geneva I would visit the Pharmacy Prinicipale. OMG how I loved that place. Full of European beauty products and skin care. Lots of customers. Most of them accompanied by their dogs large and small. Fabulous sunglasses. I bought products there that had not yet made it to the US. Paradise for a cosmetics junkie.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 01:21 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
When we traveled often and stopped in Geneva I would visit the Pharmacy Prinicipale. OMG how I loved that place. Full of European beauty products and skin care. Lots of customers. Most of them accompanied by their dogs large and small. Fabulous sunglasses. I bought products there that had not yet made it to the US. Paradise for a cosmetics junkie.
Even though I'm in my 50's, I'm new to the cosmetic junkie world. I blame You Tube, lol. That does sound like a fabulous place to visit!
Old 02-27-14, 02:16 PM  
Gilda
VF Supporter

Post Waxelene

Waxelene
https://waxelene.com/

Keeping with my theme of natural / organic products, thought I'd share my experience with Waxelene. I first learned about this product in the April 2012 issue of Prevention.

Now it's used by -4- generations in my family! As I mentioned, I am really into skin care so I was happy to find this healthier alternative.

It's a real treat for my feet and hands and it's safe for use all over.

I did a search to see if it had been mentioned before but it seems it hasn't. Any other Waxelene fans here?

Reminder to self: Fitness, Finances, FICO
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 04:29 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie W View Post
Have you seen a derm about rosacea? That sort of sounds a bit like it in some ways. At least ask some questions.. to rule it out
Stevie
Not sure if this question was for me or not. But I did see a derm on and off for many years and he never mentioned rosacea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post
Just a thought since you mentioned using the honey...I use Manuka honey and mixed it with jojoba oil at night (with coconut oil to remove eye makeup). I didn't experience any over drying when I used the two together and read up before I started cleansing with honey that it could be potentially drying. I avoided using castor oil too because I read that some people had it really dry out their skin. Will you post back if the castor oil ends up drying you out or if your skin stays balanced? I am really curious because it's supposed to help out so much with breakouts but I didn't want to get all dried out.

Eta: I'm glad it's been working for you for the last week, I'm just curious if over the next month or however long you use your combo how your skin fares.
My update:

Stopped the oil cleansing method (OCM) about a week ago. I had already pretty much decided that the 1:1 castor oil ratio was too drying and had been meaning to add more argan oil to the mixture. However, I finally admitted to myself that it was making my pale skin blotchier than usual, I was getting breakouts in unusual places (for me) and I was unhappy with the texture/hydration of my skin despite trying different moisturizers. I tried vanicream and argan+tamanu oil at night (argan+tamanu was not good for my skin as far as how it felt and may have contributed to breakouts).

So after ditching the OCM, I reverted back to raw honey which is so much easier to rinse off than oil and reduces redness around my blemishes.

One note on honey: Awhile back I tried a more syrupy organic wild collected raw honey bought from Trader Joe’s, but I swear it made me breakout more so I threw it out less than halfway through the jar. Plus, I prefer the more solid, grainy texture of Trader Joe’s regular organic raw honey so that’s what I went back to.

For face moisturizer, I am now using vanicream lite (which can now be bought at Target in 2 sizes!). I used to only be able to find vanicream stuff at walgreens or online. I had been using it as a body lotion previously. I also use vanicream sunscreen for long days in the sun. Vanicream lite is definitely too light for hands/elbows/feet IMO.

I also purchased vanicream moisturizing skin cream to try as a nighttime moisturizer (it’s thicker and a little greasy at first), but I’m afraid to change any of my skin variables right now. Years ago I tried vanicream’s bar soap but found it extremely drying on my face.

So far, the raw honey/vanicream lite experiment is swiftly clearing up the fallout from the OCM. I’ll wait a few more weeks before deciding how well it’s actually working long-term. So far I'm just dealing with dead skin buildup, which I only really notice if I put on foundation. Mixing a scrub powder with the honey occasionally seems to help exfoliate. I also have some proactiv pore refining peel thingies to try out (10% glycolic acid).
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 10:57 AM  
Gilda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post

I usually use Shea Moisture shampoo about once or twice a week, and use conditioner only the other days of the week. I have very dry curly hair (3A)
I've been using the Shea Moisture lotions for the last several months. After seeing your post, I went online and learned they have a number of products!

As you can probably tell, I'm now in search of natural / organic products and was glad to learn about this company.

Old 02-28-14, 12:19 PM  
Castella

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a moisturizing, non greasy, fast absorbing, lightweight but natural/organic (or at least mostly) moisturizer. Scented would be great since I don't wear much perfume.
For a light moisturizer in the summer I often use Skin MD natural. I first saw it at a pharmacy, but I think Walgreens has it now. The main ingredient is aloe (which my skin doesn't really like) and other ingredients are arnica, comfrey, etc. It does have silicones which don't bother my skin, but seem to cause breakouts for some people. It isn't scented. There's a version without sun screen and a version with. It's not greasy or heavy, very lightweight, absorbs quickly.

Andalou Naturals makes some lightweight moisturizers that absorb well. I was using the age defying moisturizer until the winter air demanded a change to something heavier.

adawn, I've been using vanicream sunscreen for over a decade now. It is effective and one of the few my skin tolerates (I can only take zinc and titanium formulas). I can't say it's the loveliest of sunscreens, but it gets the job done and doesn't make me break out. I do have to put foundation on to cover the masking that comes from the zinc and whatnot.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 12:34 PM  
Gilda
VF Supporter

Post Anders Natural Soap - Regenerative Moisturizer

yahoo205, I use this Regenerative Moisturizer and have been very pleased: http://www.andersnaturalsoap.com/facial_products.php

It meets your requirements including being natural / organic, but not for being scented.

From the label: "90% natural + 99.9% organic."

Old 02-28-14, 03:16 PM  
kalliope999

Quote:
I use and love Alba Botanica's Very Emollient Lotion (not totally organic, but natural.) The Maximum Dry Skin Formula has a pleasant light scent, and I think it absorbs well after a few minutes. The Unscented one is a little lighter weight (as is the Original formula). I use both the Maximum and Unscented regularly, and buy them in large sizes (32 fl oz) from Vitacost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
So after ditching the OCM, I reverted back to raw honey which is so much easier to rinse off than oil and reduces redness around my blemishes.

One note on honey: Awhile back I tried a more syrupy organic wild collected raw honey bought from Trader Joe’s, but I swear it made me breakout more so I threw it out less than halfway through the jar. Plus, I prefer the more solid, grainy texture of Trader Joe’s regular organic raw honey so that’s what I went back to.
One thing I always wonder about honey cleansing is if you aren't pairing it with an oil cleanser of some sort, how are you removing makeup if you wear it?

What you said about TJ's Wild Collected Raw Honey is interesting, because I tried that on my face and it didn't seem to agree with me, either! I'll have to give the other one a shot. Even if my face doesn't like daily honey washes, the occasional wash or mask seems to have a brightening effect.

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, cosmetics, makeupalley, paula's choice, shapewear, skin care, spanx