Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-13, 03:23 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
I agree that it seemed a bit over the top.

Everyone has said multiple somethings that they wished they could take back, whether they actually believe it or not. Chuck Wilson was just dumb enough to say these things to a reporter multiple times.

What I find more offensive than his opinions is the way he allows his store workers to totally ignore the larger women who shop in his stores. I have been ignored by lots of people, but not as thoroughly and decisively as I have been in Lululemon. And I am not alone in being ignored. Lots of anecdotal "evidence" all over the 'net about it. To me, that shows his spoken attitude is pervasive throughout the company all the way to where it directly and systemically affects the consumer. And that is why I won't ever give Lululemon a dime, not because the CEO has no filter.
I agree with all that you said! Her post was so long winded I didn't even read all of it. Yet she's right. I just wish, like others have said, that she was a bit more concise and less melodramatic about it. Granted, he's way over the stupid level with his attitude and comments, but if you're trying to make a point it helps not to lose your audience in the meantime.

What bothers me more than some stupid CEO making useless and ill informed comments is what you said about the sales people in the stores ignoring people who don't fit their supposed demographic. There is simply no excuse for that. That's rude no matter how you look at it. Regardless of "store policy", you'd hope that their mamas would have taught them better manners.
Old 11-26-13, 04:16 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

There used to be a chain of women's clothing stores in my state that was known for being stuck up to women that they didn't deem worthy. They would ask questions such as "which Country Club you belonged to?" They also extended extensive credit to these so called worthy customers. Guess what! The whole chain went bankrupt a few years later, and it was at a time when the economy was good.

Bottom line for any business. Any customer is a worthy customer, and anyone is a potential customer. Maybe they don't dress or look the way you expect, but that's judging a book by its cover which is never a good idea.

Agree that Jennifer's language is more flowery than I would use, but she should be able to express herself in a way that fits her personality.
Old 11-26-13, 08:12 PM  
ruthular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm not really up on the world of Lululemon and, apart from the founder's stupid comments, was actually shocked to hear how he came up with the name and also to read of the grisly murder which I'd known nothing about.

Whew! I reckon it's a good thing I:
A) can't afford Lululemon merchandise, and
B) have no interest in wearing trendy, way overpriced yogawear even if I could.

ETA - Hmm, next year's hit reality show..Lululemonade?
That murder story is insane! This company sounds awful. I've always avoided them because they are so snobby about their sizes -- I think a 10 is as high as they go? As if larger women don't merit their label. But this is a whole new world of crazy.
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 08:22 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Their clothes are, for me, insanely priced. $75-$90 for a pair of capris? Really?! I got a pair of Champion Premium yoga or workout pants at Target yesterday. $39.99, reversible, moderately heavy weight wicking fabric and very supple. They also came in 3 lengths. I know I will get a lot of wear out of them. kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 08:24 PM  
Stephanie_B

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
It's her blog - why wouldn't she?
Ditto.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 10:04 PM  
knitter_mom

I use my money to speak for me, and won't be buying Lululemon again, but for more than just the CEO's views and poor customer service (if you are curvier or larger). I do have a pair of Lululemon pants that are about 5 years old, and I did originally like them quite a bit, but then they stopped making the pants in Canada, and I tried some pants from Lands End (88% polyester/12%spandex) that were better made, went through repeated washings without any pilling/noticeable wear, and were almost half the price. I didn't experience any problems with being ignored in the stores (only 3 visits), but this was in Berkeley, and I can't see East Bay natives following that kind of company policy, we are too hippie/independent for that

Anyway, there might be enough well-off slim women to keep Lululemon in business, but I doubt it; companies with higher quality pants made in US/Canada will overtake Lululemon very soon. I am not really in their "preferred" category (I need their larger pants) but I love these kinds of pants in general, they move from workouts to doing daily life effortlessly for this busy homeschooling mom of three boys, I just wish I could find some affordable ones again, Lands End stopped making them! Zella looks good, and there is always Lucy and Prana, just need a sale....

Kris
knitter_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 10:18 PM  
Eibhinn

I am not a Lululemon fan, and never have been, for pretty much all of the reasons listed here. That said, I find it totally weird that people use the murder of one Lululemon employee by another to critique the CEO or the company as a whole (which is sort-of what JK was doing by linking to that sensationalist story as part of her post). Maybe the company has a dysfunctional and highly-competitive corporate culture..... I'll give you that. But any person who would stab someone 300 times has deep mental issues that their employer cannot be held responsible for. There are so many better reasons to criticize Lululemon than the fact that they hired someone who ended up being a violent sociopath. So have many, many other companies and no one concluded that it was their employer's fault. I always find it strange when that murder is listed among other Lululemon scandals like quality control issues and racist comments, like it is another symptom of poor management.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 10:19 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitter_mom View Post
I just wish I could find some affordable ones again, Lands End stopped making them! Zella looks good, and there is always Lucy and Prana, just need a sale....

Kris
Don't forget Athleta!

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 10:23 PM  
knitter_mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Don't forget Athleta!
Okay, I won't.

Kris
knitter_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 10:49 PM  
BunnyHop

Interesting read.

My thoughts:
1) the covers? All ones in which she's wearing Lululemon clothing, they aren't clickable links to a store. She started the post with talk of the covers, so I think it's a reasonable way to decorate the article. I do think she needs an editor to tighten things up, word-wise.

2) In a light-hearted way, I object to the way this other link mentioned in her letter disparaged the old workout 'Thin Thighs in Thirty Days.' Yeah, okay, the original version of that workout booklet (which I still possess all these years later) did sport some pretty silly workout clothes, from the days when we all wore leotards, tights and leg warmers, and thought it was perfectly reasonable, fashion-wise. In our defense, there wasn't anything else to wear for workouts back then, at least not where I lived. I actually DID that workout years ago, and found it a workable, reasonable, doable system of exercise. (Can't recall the nutrition advice, not sure I paid attention back then, I was, what, in my twenties?) If I recall correctly, basically, it's some exercises for the legs and thighs, and a systematic program to get you up to speed walking three miles a day. Yeah, do that for thirty days, and your thighs (and butt) will shape up. Mine did, and I was in pretty great shape back then.

3) Corporate mission statements? They're a great PR exercise, but anyone who actually believes every bit of their pronouncements is actually being a bit naive. One of the functions of every corporation is to keep the organization alive. They sustain themselves in lots of ways, and good sounding PR that attracts people on many levels is part of the game.

We are, all of us, only human. Sure, it's disappointing to me that this thoughtless fellow who ran his mouth to a reporter has such a cynical attitude, but again, he's only human.

For me, the only way to keep from disappointing myself with the way I live my life, is to constantly work at the skills I know I need to have to live well. Compassion, thoughtfulness, awareness of others all play a role in that, but they're not easy skills that come and stay. If I slack off, bad old habits rear their heads and I find myself living my life in ways that don't serve my own beliefs, needs and prayers.

I haven't learned anything from this situation that I didn't already know in general about the way life works and the way people behave, but I do think it's interesting that so many people are actually shocked.

Giant corporations don't actually have souls. It's up to the people who run them to determine how their influence will manifest in the retail environment, so in some ways, this outcome (boorish admissions leading to PR trouble) really isn't a surprise, even if we're only just now learning how it came about.

This company seems to have been founded by a bunch of cynics, we just didn't know it for sure til now.

Last edited by BunnyHop; 11-26-13 at 10:57 PM. Reason: adding a bit
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chip wilson, jennifer kries, lululemon