Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-13, 12:04 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
The cynical side of me sees that she is using this controversy as an opportunity to self-promote. 3 of her DVD covers on this blog post, really? Let's make sure we sell some product along with the rah-rah women blog post.

Otherwise, good for her for calling them out.
It's her blog - why wouldn't she?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 12:17 PM  
aunatural

Hmmm. I found her letter a little melodramatic myself. In the grand scheme of things, we are talking about clothes that people wear to get sweaty...it is not that serious. Yes, a head honcho made some insensitive comments. But, to me, that says more about the world we live in. There are many people who share the same views. He was just stupid enough to say it in a public forum.

On a humorous note, I was tickled by her declaration that her thighs not only touched, but they RUB! Mine do too. It was a little empowering to read that because I cannot do her Method Pilates DVDs without admiring her physique. She is clearly not one of the bodies Chip Wilson was referring to.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 12:22 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

It's a step in the right direction, but I thought it was a little ironic to see this post next to a DVD cover touting "get long and lean" and "body transforming."

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 12:32 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Tracey,

ITA that it was a bit melodramatic, as I would hope that her entire heart and soul weren't committed to being an "ambassador" for a brand of workout clothes. I think it was a bit long, as her point could have been made clearly without so many words.

That said, good for her for saying her piece about it.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 01:50 PM  
Debbie

Wow! She's seriously pissed! A little long winded, but she really got her point across!
Old 11-26-13, 01:53 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I liked the letter and I'm glad she posted it. I can see why some people see it was a bit melodramatic, and it was for my taste, but I saw it as her feeling that betrayed but Wilson's creepiness, and maybe a bit of guilt on her part that she had let so much slide without saying anything. I'm glad she spoke up about it in the end.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 02:37 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I agree that it seemed a bit over the top.

Everyone has said multiple somethings that they wished they could take back, whether they actually believe it or not. Chuck Wilson was just dumb enough to say these things to a reporter multiple times.

What I find more offensive than his opinions is the way he allows his store workers to totally ignore the larger women who shop in his stores. I have been ignored by lots of people, but not as thoroughly and decisively as I have been in Lululemon. And I am not alone in being ignored. Lots of anecdotal "evidence" all over the 'net about it. To me, that shows his spoken attitude is pervasive throughout the company all the way to where it directly and systemically affects the consumer. And that is why I won't ever give Lululemon a dime, not because the CEO has no filter.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 02:46 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
I liked the letter and I'm glad she posted it. I can see why some people see it was a bit melodramatic, and it was for my taste, but I saw it as her feeling that betrayed but Wilson's creepiness, and maybe a bit of guilt on her part that she had let so much slide without saying anything. I'm glad she spoke up about it in the end.
I agree and I am happy she posted this. Sometimes we can come off long winded when we are just typing our feelings and getting those thoughts out. Maybe she could have edited it a bit, but I totally loved the sentiment and respect her for it.
Old 11-26-13, 03:05 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I'm not really up on the world of Lululemon and, apart from the founder's stupid comments, was actually shocked to hear how he came up with the name and also to read of the grisly murder which I'd known nothing about.

Whew! I reckon it's a good thing I:
A) can't afford Lululemon merchandise, and
B) have no interest in wearing trendy, way overpriced yogawear even if I could.

ETA - Hmm, next year's hit reality show..Lululemonade?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 03:15 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
<snip>was actually shocked to hear how he came up with the name <snip>
That's what I was referring to when I said Lulu lost me at 'hello'. Chip Wilson's recent comments are not the result of a single lapse of judgement. The company has shown disdain for all but a very small portion of their customer base since day 1. And yet he is one of the 25-richest people in Canada. I guess while he and his company may loathe regular-sized women, their money is sufficiently skinny for Lulu.

Jennifer's post was long-winded and late in coming, but I still think it took some guts to write.

eta: LOL at 'Lululemonade'! Cute!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 11-26-13 at 03:16 PM. Reason: addition
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chip wilson, jennifer kries, lululemon