Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-10, 03:17 PM  
HelloKitty88

Smile What Kind of Pilates Person Are You?

Okay, like there are Beatles people and Elvis people...lets see what kind of people there are for Pilates. You have to pick one or the other. You can like all four but, for this thread you have to pick one answer for each question.

Are you a Stott Pilates or Winsor Pilates person?
I'm a Stott Pilates person.

Are you an Ellen or a Jennifer Kries person?
I'm a Jennifer Kries person.
HelloKitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 03:22 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I like the Classical Pilates style best. After that I'd pick Stott.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 03:23 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty88 View Post
Okay, like there are Beatles people and Elvis people...lets see what kind of people there are for Pilates. You have to pick one or the other. You can like all four but, for this thread you have to pick one answer for each question.

Are you a Stott Pilates or Winsor Pilates person?
I'm a Stott Pilates person.

Are you an Ellen or a Jennifer Kries person?
I'm a Jennifer Kries person.

Hmmm I think I like Stott better and definitely like Ellen better than Jennifer.
Old 03-15-10, 03:28 PM  
snapfish45

I like Classical Pilates myself. As far as Stott and Winsor, I have only tried a few. I love Winsor bun and thighs. I only tried one Stott workout, but it bored me to tears. Based on that I would have to say Winsor, although I would definitely try other Stott workouts. Have no experience with Jennifer, but love Ellen.

Snap out of it!
snapfish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 03:32 PM  
Sunnyday

Oooh. I like this!

I like Mari Winsor & Ellen.

I never clicked with Moira and Stott pilates.

I have never done a Jennifer Kries workout. I may have to try her out.

Sunnyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 03:40 PM  
zumzum

Hmmm, kind of difficult because I'm just getting back into pilates and the only thing I currently have that is posted as a choice is winsor, which is kind of eh for me. Ellen is on the way, thanks to some lovely vf traders! I'm also interested in trying a Stott dvd, although will skip ahead to one of the more advanced ones per advice I got from others on VF.

I really like reformer moves adapted for the mat, like Rapid Results Pilates. DVDs based on the classical mat series are much less fun for me. I'm also eager to try some equipment (10 minute quick sculpt pilates and on the ball pilates, stott amazing tone, bernadette giorgi's power ball pilates and pilates circle workouts, etc) to get some variety in.
zumzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 03:56 PM  
bee1forfitness

I have a Pilates Reformer which I really, really like......hmmm, let see, I like Mari, but out of the two only Stott makes dvds using a reformer, so maybe that makes me a Stott person. Don't know about the other two, don't have anything by them
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 04:00 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I'm a Hillary Burnett gal. I also like MTV Pilates!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 04:18 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Of these, I very much prefer Moira and Ellen over Mari and Jennifer. I own and do workouts by all of them, and have since before their workouts came on DVDs, but I rarely do Mari and Jennifer, even though I have workouts by each I like, and often do Moira and Ellen, though I don't like everything by either of them. Some of that is just based on personality as I find Mari and Jennifer frequently grating.

But most of my Pilates now days is one-on-one lessons of classic style equipment and mat work at a studio that's a teacher training center for Romana. On video I go for more classic style work or something more definitely fusion like Ellen does rather than modified Pilates. The only real difference I find in Sott is the order of the moves and I'm OK with that since I still get mixed up on the order sometimes. Mari and Jennifer's routines are fine for me but not their presentation. Mari comes off too loud and Jennifer a bit egotistical. Ellen's just fun and I get to use my Pilates strengths and skills.

And I really believe if you know what you're doing you can make even the most beginner workout a challenge based on form. But that kind of form can be very hard to pick up from videos (after 5 years my instructor still makes lots of little tweaks to my form, not to mention the days I just show up crooked or stiff) so I understand why the classic or beginner workouts don't give a lot of home exercisers what they want from them.

PS Back when I did more video than studio Pilates, the 15 minute core of Hilary's Beginner DVD routine was my most often done add-on-a-short-mat-routine video, though I was doing it with the more low intermediate moves I'd learned in previous lessons. She studied under a different system than either Stott or Romana (the one out of Colorado I forget the name of) but her work is based on classic style.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 05:24 PM  
alisoncooks

Never tried Stott, but have enjoyed all my Mari's. Never tried Kries, but have semi-enjoyed Ellen...but not enough to keep her.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical pilates, ellen barrett, jennifer kries, mari winsor, moira stott merrithew, pilates, stott, stott pilates, winsor