Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-11, 07:14 AM  
Cammie-Cam

RKC/IKFF kettlebell instructors in NYC?

I did a search for this and while I did find some very helpful information about kettlebells and am thinking about taking the plunge (again), I was wondering if anyone knew of or has had instruction with a certified instructor in the NYC area.

I tried kettlebells one before, maybe in 2008 but couldn't get the form down, bruised up my forearms something terrible, gave up, sold my kettlebell and the DVDs I had (I believe it was an Iron Core DVD).

I have recently lost about 40 pounds, mostly with Cathe, older Firms and Cardio Coach at the gym, but I'm getting SO bored with them and thought maybe I'd give kettlebells another shot, this time with some proper instruction from someone who knows what the heck they're doing.

I did email Lorna Kleidman, but was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations? I did a google search and some names came up, BUT I'd ideally like to go to someone that VFers have had experience with. Kettlebells look like something I'd really love to revisit, but this time I want to get my form down so I can stick with it.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 07:35 AM  
counterclockwise

Hi Cammie! I know a trainer in the NYC area and she is both RKC and IKFF certified (she and I got our IKFF certifications together in July). Her name is Judi DeMuro. She has a youtube video, should come up if you google her name. She is a really nice and fun person.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 09:04 AM  
Cammie-Cam

Beautiful! Thank you! I did Google her, she's actually very close to where I live which is awesome! I'll shoot her an email. Woo hoo!
Old 09-10-11, 08:29 PM  
Cammie-Cam

Just a follow up, I spoke to Judi, we're meeting next Sunday. She seems very cool and laid back. I'm really excited! Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 09-19-11, 01:19 PM  
Cammie-Cam

Updating. Judi was very cool! We had a late start because she went to check out a kettlebell competition up in Nyack, and ran into traffic on the way to meet me, but we meet up and she did a great job with me, checking my form, encouraging me to swing and clean with the 16kg which I'd never done before. I'm so much more confident with cleans and snatches now. Sweat buckets! I actually got really winded and dizzy towards the end, I think it was the downward dogs we did to cool down. That wasn't her fault tho, my body actually hates downward dog, I always get dizzy when I do them as part of a sun salutation or whatever. I think it's the quick movement to the floor after standing up, then back to the floor, etc.

Not sure when I'll be able to have another session with her, gotta see what the funds are looking like in the next few days, but just wanted to thank you for the recommendation. Will definitely be scheduling another session with Judi when money permits.
Old 09-19-11, 08:13 PM  
counterclockwise

Oh, I am SO glad to hear it went well! Yippee!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote