Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-17, 11:11 PM  
tlchello

Perimenopause

Anyone else dealing with this right now? I am 47 and after having heavier but regular cycles, my body has now decided to give me the pleasure of having PMS for weeks on end and no period for up to 50 days....grrrrr. I wondered if anyone else has this.

I love the no period part but I hate the weeks of cramping, bloating, tenderness, etc. with no relief. I am sure the period will come soon...or at least it feels like it should. I am also trying to stay in weight loss mode but feel like I am fighting a losing battle right now.
tlchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 12:28 AM  
beanpeanut

My body decided to hit me at the age of 41, I was determined back then and worked out at least five days a week, I remember hitting the cardio hard and long, as well as toning. I't felt like I was out running myself, and no matter how hard I tried, this thing called, "Menopause" was winning. I could not control the changes that my body was going through, I just had to sink in and adjust.
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 09:11 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchello View Post
Anyone else dealing with this right now? I am 47 and after having heavier but regular cycles, my body has now decided to give me the pleasure of having PMS for weeks on end and no period for up to 50 days....grrrrr. I wondered if anyone else has this.

I love the no period part but I hate the weeks of cramping, bloating, tenderness, etc. with no relief. I am sure the period will come soon...or at least it feels like it should. I am also trying to stay in weight loss mode but feel like I am fighting a losing battle right now.
Been there! At 52 I am almost done...I think. I did lose weight but it took much more effort. I had to scale back to walking and much gentler workouts and really eat nutrient rich, whole foods. Food becomes nearly the entire equation in this process the older I get. Hang in there.
Old 11-19-17, 09:26 AM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Been there! At 52 I am almost done...I think. I did lose weight but it took much more effort. I had to scale back to walking and much gentler workouts and really eat nutrient rich, whole foods. Food becomes nearly the entire equation in this process the older I get. Hang in there.
That’s good to know. I am 52 also and it seems no matter what I do the weight is creeping up and body not responding to exercise like it used to.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 10:45 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
That’s good to know. I am 52 also and it seems no matter what I do the weight is creeping up and body not responding to exercise like it used to.
Oh, no. For me it’s almost entirely about food, gentler exercise, and body acceptance. Aging happens and I am grateful to have lived this long.
Old 11-19-17, 04:26 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

During this phase I'm beginning to think it's not only a calorie deficit but also hormone balancing, specifically cortisol and insulin, to achieve fat loss. I think it was Tom Venuto who said it's very difficult to achieve fat loss when there is a hormone imbalance. There is a difference between weight loss and fat loss since weight loss can also include loss of muscle. I would say that during this time just be kind to yourself. I'm trying to incorporate some things myself, walking/yoga to help lower stress hormones, tinkering with some nutritional things to help improve sleep, and shorter workouts. If all else fails there are medications to help during this transition. Good luck!

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 04:54 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Oh, no. Fir me it’s almost entirely about food, gentler exercise, and body acceptance. Aging happens and I am grateful to have lived this long.
That's such a great attitude to have!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 07:14 PM  
adrien_73

I am 44, and am wondering if I am perio. I only recently went off the pill & attributed the changes to that. My body has "shifted"...not a lot of weight gain but getting "thicker around the middle". Also, I am suffering from MANY overuse injuries. Nothing serious, but I feel like every part of me is breaking. Knees, ankles, back, shoulders and neck are all feeling like they have pulled muscles or tendonitis. I have cut back so much on my workouts with minimal weight work and low impact cardio for several months now with no relief. I tried adding yoga but that seems to be what messed up my shoulders. Workouts are becoming frustrating because I have to modify so much. I definitely have more severe PMS symptoms, but regular cycles. I also go through phases when I cannot control my eating at all, and then I have phases when no food interests me. If this is only the beginning I fear what is yet to come!!!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 07:36 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchello View Post

Me. Same thing. My periods are closer together than yours, but a few days after my period ends my body starts ramping up for the next one. I can feel it happening. I have about 2 1/2 - 4 weeks (depending if I’m late) of the same symptoms as you coupled with emotional stuff as well (depression, anxiety, strong urges to scream at people). I also experience uncontrollable cravings for sweets. I’ve tried so hard to control it, but sometimes just can’t and it’s caused me to gain weight, which only makes me feel worse. I am trying to go with the flow and am better at that now than when this started about 3 years ago. I’ve even changed it up and found workouts I enjoy, because the physical discomfort often makes it impossible for me to do some of my old favorites (well, plus the weight gain makes high impact ill advised).

It’s gotten so bad that I’ve seriously considered medication and discussed it with my dr a few times. I haven’t out of fear of repeating a reaction I had in my 30s to a “safe” medication that, if it were to happen at this age, is almost always fatal. The one time I took medication since that episode, I ended up in the hospital, so the fact I’ve even had these conversations with my dr knowing the possible outcome is a sign of how miserable it is.

It’s no way to live and you have my utmost sympathy. If it’s possible for you to consider HRT, antidepressants or whatever else may be helpful, you might want to consider that. For what it’s worth, my dr, who specializes in menopause, says that if your periods are getting farther and farther apart, you’re getting very close to menopause. Most women experience shortening of their cycle for a short while then they get further apart and it’s done. I hope things get better for you soon.

Oh, I will also add a glimmer of hope: I now occasionally have a month that’s just normal, like the old days. Hope you experience some of those!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 08:13 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I'm sorry to hear so many people are struggling with perimenopause. A while back I came across a book called Period Repair Manual which combined with charting (à la Taking Charge of Your Fertility) helped me considerably in dealing with negative symptoms of my cycle.

In addition to those two things, I take a supplement which was almost like magic for me. If you are interested in more information feel free to PM me. (Disclaimer: YMMV)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perimenopause