Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-17, 07:01 AM  
sherry7899

OT: question for Aldi's shoppers

They are opening a location near me today. I will go at a later date when it's less busy. I've never been to Aldi.

I thought I had read opinions on their own brand things that are non perishable were good, but negative comments about their meat (for us it would be chicken/turkey) and their produce.

Opinions please? What items have you liked from there, and what should we stay away from ?

I've read they have great prices for baking items, which is right up my alley

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 08:07 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I haven't been there too often and have never tried their meats. The produce was fine, but I'm not sure where it was from. In season, the local grocery stores sell produce from local farmers, so that's where I would normally buy it. They do have excellent chocolate.

Don't forget to take your own bags or boxes. (and I think the purists prefer to call it "Aldi" not "Aldi's", in case you run into some militant cashier )
Old 11-16-17, 08:16 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I’ve been to Aldi a few times looking for specific things, but never to actually “shop.” To me it feels like they buy whatever they can get a deal on and and fit into the store somewhere. And I don’t remember finding what I was looking for. I like to shop where I know what they have and where everything is. I did buy an iPad cover there for my hubby.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 08:32 AM  
IceQueen07

We have one that opened right near me. I have gone in there twice and was not impressed. Their produce was just so so for me and I didn't really find anything worth getting. I know others rave about it.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 08:55 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
We have one that opened right near me. I have gone in there twice and was not impressed. Their produce was just so so for me and I didn't really find anything worth getting. I know others rave about it.
Ditto. I don't like that you have to bring your own bags either. Once in awhile I just need a few quick items and I don't have a bag. I rarely shop there. My husband really likes Aldi.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 08:57 AM  
wendug

Hi Sherry! I'm a regular Aldi shopper, but supplement shopping there with other local stores as I can't get everything I need there. However, these are the things I buy there regularly -

Almond Milk
Nuts
Crackers
organic almond butter/peanut butter/cashew butter
jams/jellies
baking goods
olive oil/coconut oil
doggie treats
avocados
canned organic beans/diced tomatoes
organic salad mixes
cheese
hummus (they have excellent hummus!)
some fruits/produce (just have to check it out- some stuff is decent when in season. Their bananas are always awful for some reason )
Ground turkey/turkey sausage
chicken (Their all natural line in the green packaging)
frozen veggies
quinoa crunch veggie burger

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. They often have items that are seasonal that are great deals, too. They have canned pumpkin right now for under a buck!

Oh, and wine. Can't forget the wine. Winking Owl is good for under 3 bucks a bottle!
Old 11-16-17, 09:00 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
They do have excellent chocolate.)
Yes, I forgot to mention this. Their German chocolate is excellent! But I try not to buy it very often.
Old 11-16-17, 09:04 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

The only decent consumable I've purchased from mine is gluten free chocolate pretzels.

I don't get it - everyone in my area RAVES about the two new ALDI's that opened. My experiences have been avoiding the produce because it's so disgusting (salad rotting in the bags, how appealing), black avocados, brown celery, etc. etc. They did not have all the advertised gluten free products I wanted, either.

I got canned beans that were fine, but discovered my canned sodium free tomato sauce was loaded with HFCS. I figured, how bad can you screw up a tortilla chip, but they were like cardboard and so salty our lips hurt. I wanted to try the yogurt but they had none. I tried applesauce in the little cups and the first one I opened was loaded with mold.

From the "stuff" aisles I purchased a kitchen trash can on sale then saw it at Walmart $3.00 less. Based on the quality of the produce you couldn't pay me to buy the meat.

But, apparently I'm the only one in town who has had these experiences or who doesn't love it. I must enter the store from some alternate universe!

Try it out - yours may be one of the good ones. Let me know what you think.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 09:49 AM  
Indy

I love Aldi - I have never run into bad produce and besides not being able to buy stuff like cleaning products or toiletries I think it is an excellent money saving set up.

I LOVE that you have to bring your own bags (but you can buy one there or take a box if you forget) as this cuts out all the plastic bags - no waste - no litter and I don't have to make trip back to recycle the bags later. This just makes sense.

I LOVE that you need a quarter to get a cart - it's still free as you get the quarter back - but it makes people more inclined to put the cart back. There aren't carts sitting in the middle of the parking lot or vandalized.

I usually can find what I need there and I definitely save money. My husband shops at WAl-Mart - and I refuse. I might be able to get most everything there but I don't like the atmosphere and I don't believe that I can find the lowest prices on food there either. He just thinks its cheaper there - hands down - and its not.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 09:59 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks everyone for all your input. I really appreciate it. It is funny how different the locations can be. My DH went to one in a neighboring town a few years ago, and was not impressed at all. They converted an ACME that had closed.

Wendy-thank you for your list! We use many of those items. My DH loves veggie burgers so I will definitely see if our location has them.

I had no idea they sold wine.

I have no problem with bringing my own bags. We use our own bags at Trader Joe's so I always have some in my trunk.

I do not expect to do be able to do a weekly shopping there. I was just curious what items were worth checking out and what to avoid.

We have Shop Rite and Bj's in our town, and Wegmans (that store is wonderful) and Trader Joe's 20 minutes away, so we are spoiled with good stores nearby.

Pat-what an awful experience! I don't blame you for not liking the store.

We have a friend who has visited Germany many times and raves about the
German chocolate at Aldi's.

I will likely just avoid the produce since we have excellent produce from Wegmans.

I had read a few years ago that the store is cash only, but the postcard we received in the mail said they do take credit cards. I don't usually carry enough cash for grocery shopping, so I am glad about that.

I'll report back after I go there.

Thank you!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aldi