Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-12, 05:15 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Is it counterproductive to take a break from a rotation?

I'm doing a CLX rotation, slightly modified (3 weeks rather than 4 of Burn Circuit is planned thus far) and I'm wondering if it would be odd to take a break between phases. I have so many new workouts I want to try, I thought I'd take a week and do some of those. They don't all fit into the category of the Burn phase though (working upper and lower body together using heavy weights), so I'm wondering if it might somehow screw up my routine.

I did start seeing changes in my body after the very first week on CLX, more after the second. And I'm looking forward to the next phase, I just don't want this new stuff to sit on the shelf for another couple of months!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 05:21 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I think a week away, doing other forms of exercise would be ok. Any longer and it might be a set back in that you might not be able to progress with the weights as quickly. I would want to do the same thing, if new workouts were waiting in the wings.

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 06:39 PM  
Kyra

No, I don't think so. Some rotations have breaks (easier weeks) built in; most if not every distance running program I've used has cutback weeks; and one prominent trainer whose programs I've used recommends regular unloading periods no less often than every six weeks, more frequently if you need them. The belief is that you consolidate your gains during this period.

The idea is not to NOT exercise, but to drop the load/intensity for a few days to a week to give your body a chance to adjust to the changes you've (presumably) made and get ready for the next block of work.

Do what feels right to you!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-12, 10:26 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
No, I don't think so. Some rotations have breaks (easier weeks) built in;

Do what feels right to you!
That's what I was thinking, that you often do a recovery week between segments of various rotations. I'm not necessarily planning an easier week though! I'm doing 30-minute workouts with CLX (well, a little longer cause I add on abs) and want to try out some others that are more like an hour. Horizontal Conditioning, Michelle Dozois Ultimate Workout...the list goes on.

I think I'm actually looking for permission to take a break. I'm loving Chalene but I can't stand to see all these workouts sitting unused.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 07-24-12, 05:55 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
I'm loving Chalene but I can't stand to see all these workouts sitting unused.
Well, unless you trade them, they'll still be there when you're done your rotation. Still, your call.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 07:26 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Pratima - You asked if it would be counterproductive to take a week's break. I wouldn't think you would lose strength in a week, so it wouldn't be. And, it might give you a fresh start with Chalene. And, it sounds like you would still be doing heavy strength work in a different way. I'd say go for it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 09:46 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

I've done CLX and I don't think it would have hurt me at all to take a week off and do something else. I had a long stretch of months where I fell off the workout wagon, and when I did one of the Burn Circuit workouts after that, I was still able to lift pretty much at the top of what I had worked up to.

I don't think you'll hurt your progress, and I acutally think you'll get way more out of Lean Phase for having had the break. I was kind of used up by then and don't think I did as well as I might have otherwise. (It was also late July and I was melting, so that may have affected me too

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 11:01 AM  
zippity

I've taken weeks off of STS to do a week of Body Beast, then a week of P90X2 and came back stronger, so I think a shift in training can be beneficial, but it kind of needs to be the same type of program. If the programs you want to do are heavily cardio with no strength, then I'd say no, just work them into the rotation you are doing for your cardio days. Otherwise, a week or two doing another type of strength training would be great.
Old 07-24-12, 11:10 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Pratima - You asked if it would be counterproductive to take a week's break. I wouldn't think you would lose strength in a week, so it wouldn't be. And, it might give you a fresh start with Chalene. And, it sounds like you would still be doing heavy strength work in a different way. I'd say go for it.
Laura, I think this is really the key. I don't want to undo what I've accomplished. So, like others said, I'll try to stick to heavy weights.

Any opinions on doing more cardio? CLX really doesn't have you doing much. I've often read that a lot of cardio is counterproductive to training to lift heavy. I just have some cardio workouts I want to try.

Part of all this is related to a collection refresh--I'm finally relatively certain that I won't be pregnant or nursing again and want to get rid of things I'm done with and get some new stuff! I've started on this already, so I need to figure out which of my newer things I like.

Old 07-24-12, 01:03 PM  
Fitstick

I'm in the middle of a CLX rotation and took a week off last week to recover from a half marathon. I was doing running and other cardio along with CLX. I am still doing cardio but maybe not as much running going forward. I can't imagine the thought of no cardio so will continue to incorporate cardio into the rotation - not sure if this will have an adverse impact on results if any (?). The reason I say results if any is that a lot of times I do these rotations and don't see anything significant. The most significant results I have ever had was when I did STS. I may go back to that program after this one is done.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
break from, rotation, rotations