Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-17, 09:53 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Has anyone else stayed on oral contraceptive pills right up until the time of menopause? I'm not sure if I am in perimenopause since I take OCPs continuously (i.e., no periods, mainly to avoid hormonal migraines). During a recent follow-up with my endocrinologist about low thyroid issues, she suggested that some of my symptoms might be attributable to perimenopause. I will be getting off the OCPs this coming spring, when I turn 50, so I am wondering what to expect at that time.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 07:41 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Has anyone else stayed on oral contraceptive pills right up until the time of menopause? I'm not sure if I am in perimenopause since I take OCPs continuously (i.e., no periods, mainly to avoid hormonal migraines). During a recent follow-up with my endocrinologist about low thyroid issues, she suggested that some of my symptoms might be attributable to perimenopause. I will be getting off the OCPs this coming spring, when I turn 50, so I am wondering what to expect at that time.
Yes, I did that. After coming off them, the night sweats and hot flashes started, not too horrible but definitely noticeable at times. Sleep is tough sometimes. I'm considering bioidenticals.

~Beth
ealakey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 10:01 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
This is the same thing I am wondering. I have been on continuous OCP for probably almost 10 years now. I have serious concern about what it will be like when I stop taking them!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 10:41 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
Yes, I did that. After coming off them, the night sweats and hot flashes started, not too horrible but definitely noticeable at times. Sleep is tough sometimes. I'm considering bioidenticals.
Thanks Beth! If I remember, I think we are around the same age. Since I'm always cold, I don't even think I would mind the hot flashes; I just don't want my migraines to come back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
This is the same thing I am wondering. I have been on continuous OCP for probably almost 10 years now. I have serious concern about what it will be like when I stop taking them!
Me too, especially migraine-wise. Has your GYN said you need to come off them? I turn 50 in April and can probably stay on until I see my GYN next summer, but that's it.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 10:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Me too, especially migraine-wise. Has your GYN said you need to come off them? I turn 50 in April and can probably stay on until I see my GYN next summer, but that's it.
My current GP switched me to a lower dose pill after suggesting I stop taking them and I said I didn't want to at this time. I just turned 42 so I don't think she is overly concerned or she would have encouraged more strongly. When I went off them before (probably 12 yrs ago, before I started taking them continuously) the painful periods came back. I dealt with it for about a year before asking my GP at that time if I could go back on. Now if I miss a few days in a row I get migraines and mood swings.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 11:26 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Beth! If I remember, I think we are around the same age. Since I'm always cold, I don't even think I would mind the hot flashes; I just don't want my migraines to come back!
I’m usually pretty cold too but there’s nothing like the feeling you’ve been tossed into a hot sauna, and you are the sauna. I’m giving it a few more months then seeing my doctor.
~Beth
ealakey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 04:48 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Quote:
In the same boat as you Beth. But still have one more year left.

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 04:49 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

I have some weird menopause symptoms. My lips are continually dry and blistering. And my skin is really drying out

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 08:04 AM  
marki64

I was on the pill until 51. I am now 53. I really didn't have any problems. I am also hypothyroid and have been taking synthroid for about 20 years. The weird thing is that I don't get night sweats anymore. I had them while I was on the pill from about age 35-48. Since I have been off the pill, I haven't had any night sweats. I get the mild hot flashes, but nothing unbearable. I think everyone is different. My SIL had such bad hot flashes that she is on medication. She also lives in AZ, so I can imagine the discomfort. I did get a lot of cramping for a couple months after I went off the pill
, but I get that less and less. I never had a period when I went off the pill. Another weird thing is that I sleep great and have a lot of energy. I don't know if I maybe went through menopause earlier and didn't know it.

I just saw my Ob/Gyn for my annual a couple weeks ago. She specializes in menopause and is about the same age as me. She said for the belly fat, rigorous exercise and eat less. I guess we all know that though. I just keep on, keeping on.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 08:07 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz N View Post
I have some weird menopause symptoms. My lips are continually dry and blistering. And my skin is really drying out
Yes. Mee too. I also notice my hair has dries out and it gets frizzy at the ends. I have to get trims more often. That sucks since I like having longer hair..
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perimenopause