Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-12, 03:45 PM  
mle777

Non-Traditional Cardio

I think when most non-VFers think of cardio, they think of walking, running, swimming, biking. Here in the VF world, I know there are several people who do non-traditional forms exercise for cardio (ex. P57). What form of non-traditional cardio do you like to do?

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 03:56 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I don't think P57 can be considered cardio. Even though it may produce somewhat of a cardio effect it is primarily strength training.
Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question, because many strength, circuit, barre and yoga routines can produce a cardio effect. But I still don't think of them as cardio training.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 04:02 PM  
mle777

Hi Gina, I've seen a couple of people on VF that aren't big cardio fans and they list P57 as their form of cardio since it gets their heart rates up. Tonique is another one that I've seen listed as cardio. A lot of people see these as toning, while others use them for cardio and have found them as pretty successful forms of cardio. I'm just curious as to what other dvds people have used as cardio that would surprise the typical running and walking person

ETA - Part of the reason that I'm asking is because I like the concept of this non-traditional approach and part of my reason in asking is because I've hurt my calf and a lot of traditional cardio is out until it heals

3x Tough Mudder
Old 05-09-12, 04:08 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Oh sure, I get it. It's just that these kinds of workouts aren't just or primarily cardio, but that's not a bad thing if you get some bonus cardio with your strength training. I wasn't aware that people did them *instead* of cardio, though.

Hope your calf heals quickly!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 04:14 PM  
edensmom

I consider Tonique a cardio workout. My HR is typically 140-160 during so for me the cardio effect is high.
I too have seen people use P 57 as cardio. It wouldn't work for me though as it doesn't get my HR up enough.
I can't really add much else as I typically do hi/Lo, running, kickboxing, or step for cardio.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 04:18 PM  
cherimac

I consider Ellen Barrett's Fat Burning Fusion, Barefoot Cardio, etc. non-traditional cardio. As I do Petra's BREATHE. It keeps my HR in the lower end of my zone, but is still cardio for me.
Old 05-09-12, 04:30 PM  
mle777

I'd never watched a Petra clip before. Her Liquid Grooves looks pretty interesting as well.

3x Tough Mudder
Old 05-09-12, 04:41 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
I'd never watched a Petra clip before. Her Liquid Grooves looks pretty interesting as well.
I just got this one but it will probably be the same category for me as BREATHE.
Old 05-09-12, 06:25 PM  
PeakFitness

I did a year of yoga until an injured ankle finally healed. Just yoga. It worked as stregnth and cardio because different practices focused on different things. Some are fast, some are slower and hold the poses. Now that I'm adding other exercises back in, I've found I haven't lost cardio endurance, or strength. I lifted weights for the first time in over a year on Monday and was afraid I'd struggle. But I didn't struggle and didn't get DOMS, I was fine with the same dumbbells as when I stopped. I can also do all my cardio DVDs or just go for an outdoor walk, no problem. (Of course I'm trying to stay away from high impact DVDs but I can still do them if I want to "indulge".)
Old 05-09-12, 09:01 PM  
Sharaz

I don't do any of the "non traditional cardio" because my HR don't get high enough to be considered a cardiovascular activity. But I guess if it rise your HR enough, you can consider it cardio on your books. I had to look at the definition of cardio to refresh my mind.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/11...rdio-exercise/