Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-15, 09:40 PM  
bfit

Do you use different-sized kettlebells for different exercises?

Are you supposed to use the same weight kettlebell for every exercise in a workout, or should you switch between lighter and heavier (like you sometimes do with weights) depending on the exercise? Usually I use a 7 pound or a 10 pound kettlebell. For some exercises 10 pounds is too much, but for others 7 pounds doesn't seem like enough. Should I be switching back and forth between 7 and 10 pounds during the workout then? Or should I get some 8 pound or 9 pound kettlebells and try the entire workout with those?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 09:57 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I think kettlebell weight selection would also be determined by type of kettlebell workout. For example, the kettlebell kickboxing workouts all have a metabolic/cardio (lots of reps) feel so I tend to go lighter with my kettlebell. If it's more strength based, I can go heavier.

I would adjust my weight depending on the move and/or the type of workout, but maybe I'm doing it wrong .

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 10:53 PM  
Vantreesta

I tend to have two or three different poundages nearby when I do kettlebell workouts. I took an intro class and the instructor always had us grab two different weights. HTH.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 06:41 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I always change my kettlebell weight depending on the exercise. For example like most people my lower body is stronger than my upper body. When I was doing swings (not now due to injury) I was using up to a 20k bell but that is because a swing done properly is mostly a lower body exercise-you are using your hips and glutes to drive the swing. I never did presses with a 20K kettlebell either overhead or on the floor. At my most fit I could press a 12 K bell tops.
I do have many kettlebells: Doubles of 15 lb, 8 k, 10k, 12k, 16 k. and a single 20k bell so that is possible for me.
Even when I did a (slightly) more cardio based workout like Lauren Brooks Vol 1. I would change bells according to the exercise. She does offer breaks between rounds though which makes that possible. Not sure how the Kettlebell Kickboxing is set up though.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 07:07 AM  
upperwside

I have weight 8 K up to 32 K ( use the heavy one for swings.. deadlifts and facepulls). As I fatigue I will lower my weight. Also I use different bells for different moves.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 08:39 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

I have one 10 lb and one 20lb kettlebell, and I switch between both for most workouts. I also keep one of my 15lb dumbbells handy for certain upper body moves in some of my workouts.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 09:12 AM  
sciencelady

I definitely switch weights of kettlebells between exercises and sometimes even between sets of the same exercise. These are more of the old-fashioned do x sets of y exercise with pauses between type workouts. I don't do many flow workouts that don't have breaks between exercises - for those types of workouts a challenging, but consistent weight of kettlebell seem to work best.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 11:03 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I definitely switch weights. My upper body simply can't handle the same weight that my lower body can swing. For swings, I have 35 and 45 lb kettlebells. For upper, I alternate between 12, 15 and 20 lbs depending on the exercise and how fatigued I am. I also have a 25 lb bell for single arm swings as the 35 lb bell is a bit much for me on that move.

I have a lot of kettlebells for someone who doesn't do kettlebell workouts all that often. I do use them a lot, though. I often add swings onto workouts as finishers.
Old 09-03-15, 11:48 AM  
lorajc

I have an entire range and it changes from workout to workout and move to move for me.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 04:04 AM  
bex

Like everyone else above, I use different KBs for different exercises and sometimes even for different sets of the same exercise. At home I have singles of 6kg, 8kg and 12kg bells. If I'm working at the gym they also have 10kg and then 16kg & 20kg. I've used all of them for different purposes.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebells